Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Poll (?)  (Read 18655 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'204788\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 07:00 PM\']I will agree with this. That is WAY too much money to be paying a game show rookie.[/quote]I think its way too much for anyone to get paid, in any industry, period.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204785\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 06:53 PM\']The guy makes $7 million per year to do at best a mediocre job of emceeing this show. His performances are uneven, he ridicules the very things he should be pimping out, and reading the tea leaves he appears to have a major role setting the show's "new direction". As cited earlier he seems to have little concept of time. So he's going to get a little flak over it. TPIR isn't the right vehicle for him. They need to get someone with "emcee chops" as someone else put it.[/quote]
In all fairness, in the shows that have aired over the past week or so, which were taped the first week of December, the stupidity factor was back down near 0, and Drew's hosting was markedly better.  It makes me wonder if somebody with some authority (be it Drew, Syd, or whoever) finally realized how much damage they were doing.

BrandonFG

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'204800\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 09:37 PM\']
It makes me wonder if somebody with some authority (be it Drew, Syd, or whoever) finally realized how much damage they were doing.
[/quote]
When was the perfect Showcase episode taped, in comparison to the Christmas week? This week, he seemed to inject some life into the show, and I got a kick out of his entrance on this morning's show....
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'204802\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 07:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'204800\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 09:37 PM\']
It makes me wonder if somebody with some authority (be it Drew, Syd, or whoever) finally realized how much damage they were doing.
[/quote]
When was the perfect Showcase episode taped, in comparison to the Christmas week?[/quote]
9/22/08, according to Capitano's recap at G-R.  Much earlier.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jay Temple

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'204745\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 12:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'204735\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 09:21 AM\']They could have one Showcase Showdown with all 5 contestants.[/quote]

Let the top winner through automatically and let the other 4 spin it out for the other spot. That way you have fewer spins of the wheel and don't have to worry about getting two people from one SCSD.[/quote]
This is the best idea I've seen yet, although I like the idea of giving the top winner a free spin.

If you're tinkering with the format to speed things up, you could also eliminate the option of a second spin. It wouldn't save a lot of time, but it would help keep things from dragging if you increase the number of contestants.
But I hate this idea. What makes the SCSD interesting is that there's some skill involved. Having only one spin turns into a pure game of chance.

Another idea, which I admit is a variant of one already presented: Do a one-bid among the three players in each half. If there's a tie, the player who won the larger prize has the option of changing his own bid by $1 or forcing the other player to change his.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'204821\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 01:28 AM\'][quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'204745\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 12:06 PM\'][quote name=\'abba\' post=\'204735\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 09:21 AM\']They could have one Showcase Showdown with all 5 contestants.[/quote]Let the top winner through automatically and let the other 4 spin it out for the other spot. That way you have fewer spins of the wheel and don't have to worry about getting two people from one SCSD.[/quote]This is the best idea I've seen yet, although I like the idea of giving the top winner a free spin.[/quote]
I'm not as fond of this, but just for aesthetic reasons.  Rewarding the top winner with a free pass seems too much of a reward for someone who didn't necessarily play any better and just happened to play for a bigger prize.  If we have to streamline it, I'd have the two lowest-scoring players only get one spin.  That's two extra spins which set the scores that the other three try to beat.  Seems like that structure would add a tiny bit more strategy too.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Speedy G

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2008, 12:36:02 PM »
Why bother tinkering with the rules of the SCSD?

Build three matching wheels.  =D  All three take their first spin, then secret decisions to spin or stay, then second spins.  In and out of the act in a minute and a half tops.

If they really wanted to get crazy, they could build six wheels and have one [echo] Super Showcase Showdown [/echo] which gives the top two players for the Showcase.

/The beeper would be a musical masterpiece
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'204826\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 05:00 AM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'204821\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 01:28 AM\'][quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'204745\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 12:06 PM\'][quote name=\'abba\' post=\'204735\' date=\'Dec 26 2008, 09:21 AM\']They could have one Showcase Showdown with all 5 contestants.[/quote]Let the top winner through automatically and let the other 4 spin it out for the other spot. That way you have fewer spins of the wheel and don't have to worry about getting two people from one SCSD.[/quote]This is the best idea I've seen yet, although I like the idea of giving the top winner a free spin.[/quote]I'm not as fond of this, but just for aesthetic reasons.  Rewarding the top winner with a free pass seems too much of a reward for someone who didn't necessarily play any better and just happened to play for a bigger prize.  [/quote] But that's how it went on the half-hour show for three years, right? Two people who won the most get through to the Showcase, even if it's on account of winning the bigger one-bid prize.

Isn't the show "being in the right place at the right time" anyway? You might be five dollars away from your One-Bid and get stuck with Double Prices, while some doofus flukes up on stage to play for a Corvette. Such are the vagaries of what happens at 33, and no one seems to be bothered by that.

Given the choice of more time to actually play the games or having a full slate of six games that are rushed through, I'd pick cutting one one-bid/pricing game set. I like getting to know a little bit about the contestant who is about to play, rather than having everyone be a cog in the machine that is replaced five times. If that means we have to figure out a way to have a five-person Showcase Showdown, then I think that's a worthwhile fix.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »
How many participating sponsors are on the show these days?  Maybe Colonial Penn could settle for one 30-second spot between acts and be the "exclusive presenter" and thus leave more time for gameplay.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SteveR

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2008, 06:40:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'204846\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 02:32 PM\']
How many participating sponsors are on the show these days?  Maybe Colonial Penn could settle for one 30-second spot between acts and be the "exclusive presenter" and thus leave more time for gameplay.[/quote]
No Wilford Brimley? :o

Don Howard

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2008, 07:30:26 PM »
Off the board: Bring back The CBS Midday News.

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2008, 08:15:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'204840\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 01:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'204826\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 05:00 AM\']I'm not as fond of this, but just for aesthetic reasons.  Rewarding the top winner with a free pass seems too much of a reward for someone who didn't necessarily play any better and just happened to play for a bigger prize.  [/quote] But that's how it went on the half-hour show for three years, right? Two people who won the most get through to the Showcase, even if it's on account of winning the bigger one-bid prize.[/quote]
Yep, and I wasn't fond of that much either.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »
In all fairness, in the shows that have aired over the past week or so, which were taped the first week of December, the stupidity factor was back down near 0, and Drew's hosting was markedly better. It makes me wonder if somebody with some authority (be it Drew, Syd, or whoever) finally realized how much damage they were doing.
Maybe Goodson put out a memo.

Seriously, I wouldn't rule out that TPTB have been reading the screeds on this board, golden-road.net and elsewhere, and have decided to cut the crap.

OK, let's suppose we cut an act (consisting of a One Bid and a stage game) and drop one SS. That gives us about 8:00 - 9:00. What do we do with all that extra time? Extree-funny showcases? Let players take 10 minutes playing Ten Chances? Have Drew do a monologue?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2008, 09:18:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204878\' date=\'Dec 27 2008, 05:56 PM\']OK, let's suppose we cut an act (consisting of a One Bid and a stage game) and drop one SS. That gives us about 8:00 - 9:00. What do we do with all that extra time? Extree-funny showcases? Let players take 10 minutes playing Ten Chances? Have Drew do a monologue?[/quote]Holy Jeezum crow. Eight minutes? Dang.

But if you spread out eight minutes over the remaining seven acts, it allows for one minute or so in each other act, which means you no longer have to barnstorm through games that deserve a little more time, and also not having to say "You win your showcase! G'bye!"
Travis L. Eberle

Loogaroo

TPIR Poll (?)
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »
Has anyone ever considered reducing the number of bidders in Contestant's Row from four to three? That's probably a good two minutes or so trimmed off the show while not hacking the show to pieces.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".