Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich "Speedups" Cronin  (Read 7586 times)

dheine1971

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« on: October 21, 2003, 09:06:30 AM »
Why is GSN head Rich Cronin nicknamed "Speedups"? Is it ever since he joined GSN in 2001 the speedups on some parts of classic game shows started?

aaron sica

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 10:32:40 AM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 08:06 AM\'] Why is GSN head Rich Cronin nicknamed "Speedups"? Is it ever since he joined GSN in 2001 the speedups on some parts of classic game shows started? [/quote]
 I've never heard him nicknamed "Speedups" except by you, Mr. Heine.

zachhoran

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 10:35:25 AM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 08:06 AM\'] Why is GSN head Rich Cronin nicknamed "Speedups"? Is it ever since he joined GSN in 2001 the speedups on some parts of classic game shows started? [/quote]
 Rich doesn't have that nickname per se, but shortly after his tenure we began to notice the speeding up of classic shows. I can understand it being done in order to fit in shows from the 50s-80s that had considerably less commercial time than shows of today, but now I'm noticing speedups on four year old Millionaire reruns. I can't imagine why they'd have to speed up something that recent to fit in to the allotted time.

Brandon Brooks

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 10:56:33 AM »
 Wow.  All you ever do is complain about GSN.  It's almost like your life's purpose.  GSN isn't perfect.  We know this.  Move on.

Brandon Brooks

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 12:50:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 09:56 AM\'] [quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 08:06 AM\'] Why is GSN head Rich Cronin nicknamed "Speedups"? Is it ever since he joined GSN in 2001 the speedups on some parts of classic game shows started? [/quote]
Wow.  All you ever do is complain about GSN.  It's almost like your life's purpose.  GSN isn't perfect.  We know this.  Move on.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 Wrong, Brandon.  Her life's purpose is to watch an episode of Way Out Games.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dheine1971

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 01:56:22 PM »
I got Rich Cronin's nickname "Speedups" from one of the posts on the GSN website's message board.

aaron sica

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 01:58:25 PM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 12:56 PM\'] I got Rich Cronin's nickname "Speedups" from one of the posts on the GSN website's message board. [/quote]
 <sarcasm> Well, that definitely makes it legitimate then. </sarcasm>

Dbacksfan12

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 03:39:38 PM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 12:56 PM\'] I got Rich Cronin's nickname "Speedups" from one of the posts on the GSN website's message board. [/quote]
 I guess you get the originality award for October, then.
--Mark

mctoyboy

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 03:40:54 PM »
Well....the GSN boards have gotten a bit out of control. So, take what you read with a grain of salt =)
j

Matt Ottinger

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 03:57:58 PM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 01:56 PM\'] I got Rich Cronin's nickname "Speedups" from one of the posts on the GSN website's message board. [/quote]
 So why didn't you ask there?  Answer:  Because this way you could find yet another opportunity to bash GSN indirectly, something you told us you weren't going to do anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

trainman

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 11:31:31 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 07:35 AM\'] ...now I'm noticing speedups on four year old Millionaire reruns. I can't imagine why they'd have to speed up something that recent to fit in to the allotted time. [/quote]
 Because they're putting exactly one extra minute of commercial time into each hour-long episode.

By the way, the much-maligned GSN master control monkeys don't have anything to do with WWTBAM's speedups...GSN actually had a post-production house make time-compressed versions of the tapes.
trainman is a man of trains

Dbacksfan12

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 11:48:54 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 10:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 07:35 AM\'] ...now I'm noticing speedups on four year old Millionaire reruns. I can't imagine why they'd have to speed up something that recent to fit in to the allotted time. [/quote]
Because they're putting exactly one extra minute of commercial time into each hour-long episode.

By the way, the much-maligned GSN master control monkeys don't have anything to do with WWTBAM's speedups...GSN actually had a post-production house make time-compressed versions of the tapes. [/quote]
 Question then.
When it comes to episodes such as the old Card Sharks; when GSN edits o ut the fee plugs/ticket plugs, are they gone for good?  Or does GSN just air a feed over it?
--Mark

whampyl03

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 12:56:00 AM »
Am I the only one that doesn't really care if the shows are time compressed or not?  Heck, most of the time I barely notice them.

zachhoran

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 08:29:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 10:48 PM\']
When it comes to episodes such as the old Card Sharks; when GSN edits o ut the fee plugs/ticket plugs, are they gone for good?  Or does GSN just air a feed over it? [/quote]
 The fee and contestant/ticket plugs are not removed from the tape, nor are the retromercials, GSN just airs their own commercials and/or promos over them. We see the fee plugs often enough on shows(though usually with Cram or Funny Money promos in a split-screen effect), once in a blue moon they'll even leave in a ticket/contestant plug(heck this week's WOF reruns from 1988 are showing the rulesheets for the Radio City Music Hall sweepstakes they were holding at the time, though Pat's spiel and showing of the home viewer puzzle have been edited out). A few times over the years, we've seen part of a retromercial(most often on ABC Feud in recent years) when GSN slips up.

Ian Wallis

Rich "Speedups" Cronin
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 08:40:12 AM »
By the way, the much-maligned GSN master control monkeys don't have anything to do with WWTBAM's speedups...GSN actually had a post-production house make time-compressed versions of the tapes.

I guess that's what was meant by the "re-editing" comment we heard just before their premiere on GSN.

When it comes to episodes such as the old Card Sharks; when GSN edits o ut the fee plugs/ticket plugs, are they gone for good? Or does GSN just air a feed over it?

I'm surprised GSN has to do "speedups" on certain shows.  For example, when you consider what they take out of each show - such as contestant plugs - you'd think they would have saved enough time for an extra promo or commercial just with that, rather than speeding up the show as well.  It's a bit of overkill, isn't it?  (But I guess the same could be said of TV in general).
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!