The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

A Game Show Pitch...

(1/2) > >>

Kevin Prather:
this isn't yet complete, so if you have suggestions, please tell me...

It's a celeb show, called "I Don't Recall Asking For Your Opinion". It's basically a quiz show. Each contestant is paired with a celeb. Each pair is asked their own question. The contestant gives an answer. Then the celeb can change the answer, if he/she thinks it is wrong. Then the civilian decides whether or not to respect or reject the celebs opinion, and gives the final answer.

for example:

Host: Joe and Brett Somers, here's your question. "In what year was Bill Clinton first inaugurated.
Joe: I believe the answer is 1993.
Host: Brett, would you like to give your opinion?
Brett: Yes. I believe it was '92.
Host: Joe, you got Brett's opinion, now what do you say?
Joe: I'll stick with my original thought and say '93.
Host: Gonna stick with 1993? It's the right answer!

Each right answer is worth $100 in the first round, $250 in the second round.

What do you think?

Clay Zambo:
I think it's an interesting beginning for a format, but still somewhat unformed.  Some questions:

What's the point of using celebs as opposed to partnering civilians?  Humor?  Would the celebs be "experts" in the area of questioning?  (Not the case in the example you gave.)

Scoring is arbitrary--could be points, or dollars, or thousands...

Is there an endgame?

SplitSecond:
There was a pilot done for ABC with Alex Trebek back in the mid-80's called "Second Guess" that used a very similar hook.  However, in this game, it was two married couples, and the material consisted entirely of three-choice questions (your sample question might have the choices 1992, 1993, and 1997, for instance).  The other big difference is that the partner could actually "Second Guess" the player who buzzed in and change the answer.  (The material was more ambiguous, like upper-tier "Greed" questions.)

The other big change was that, as opposed to a flat "you get x score for a right answer" system, each right answer earned the couple a turn at what would best be described as the old "Can't Stop" board game, but with prizes on spinners instead of dice combinations.

Dan Sadro:
At the risk of bringing in a rash of proposals...

No.  The game has no hook.  No point.  Just ask questions, watch couples argue in Newlywed Game fashion.

Wait -- these aren't couples, they're teams of people who have never met each other.  Including one celebrity, I think.  There is little argument value here, so it's just 22 minutes of asking questions?

No chance.

clemon79:
That's a little harsh, IMO. (And that's saying something coming from me. :))

If that's all there is to the game, then yes, it sucks mad rocks. But I agree with Clay, the concept isn't the worst I've ever heard, there just needs to be a, ya know, GAME developed around it. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version