Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Back from a Trivial Pursuit taping...  (Read 11811 times)

sotcfan2004

Back from a Trivial Pursuit taping...
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:06:18 PM »
If the show looks disjointed and choppy on TV, it looks 10 times more so in person.  I sat in for two episodes, which took nearly 2 1/2 hours to tape.  There were numerous stopdowns due to scoreboard malfunctions, seatfillers (who comprised 95% of the audience) whispering answers, and Christopher Knight tripping over his lines.  Speaking of the latter, there is virtually no ad-libbing.  Everything that comes out of Knight's mouth, right down to the cornball jokes, is on a teleprompter.

This late into the taping schedule, none of this is a good sign.

Chief-O

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »
2 1/2 hours for 2 shows???? Hopefully, they let you use the restroom during the stopdowns. :P

Any re-enactments or "pickups"?

/wouldn't know---I don't watch it---the Green Bay market, to my knowledge, didn't pick it up
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:42:29 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

GrandMasterGalvatron

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »
Wow.  I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I was completely unaware that there was a revival of this show in the first place.

Though from seeing this, don't know if I should bother looking it up.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »
A "pick up" is basically a "re-shooting", but not really a re-enactment. These pick ups are usually done after a taping, so as to not disturb the flow of the show.

I'll give a couple examples. During a taping of Card Sharks 2001 I saw, there was a moment when the players were introduced that they both embraced, for "good luck", however the producers felt this was not appropriate, so their introduction was re-shot, and this time they did not embrace.

Another example. During a taping of Bergeron HS that I saw, Jack Hanna had a skunk in his square. Tom made some comment about a "smell" in the studio. Well, I guess the producers didn't like that, and they had Tom reshoot his intro of the skunk.

Rich Fields also does "pick ups" of product descriptions for various reasons, whether it's audio problems, stumbling with a description, or perhaps inappropriate audience reaction (this was done all the time when they had "Zim's Crack Creme"... I watched Randy do a pick up of that, and I nearly cracked up hearing the description! Thank goodness I didn't screw him up!!)

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »
I'll give a couple examples. During a taping of Card Sharks 2001 I saw, there was a moment when the players were introduced that they both embraced, for "good luck", however the producers felt this was not appropriate, so their introduction was re-shot, and this time they did not embrace.

A far cry from Super Password, where the players would hug each other @ least once a show while making the mid-game crossover (at least from 87-onward, anyway).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:02:44 AM »
And CS 2K1 had its share of moments that needed to be reshot, as well...I recall the late Randy Amasia offering a report on a taping session he attended (might have been one of his last, IIRC), and the news was not good:

- A contestant opted to "shoot the works" in the Money Cards...but failed to specify higher/lower when doing so
- Another MC contestant forgot to give a wager on one card, which Bullard failed to remind him/her of after the fact
- When said card from the above MC round was replaced, they did a piss-poor job of concealing it b/c the new card was visible to half the audience(!)
- Someone apparently forgot to explain to the contestants that aces and deuces are "can't lose" cards, b/c a contestant had one or the other, and his/her grand total was a few thousand, but s/he opted to wage only a couple grand

As Randy himself put it, "Nice to see what a fine group of professionals they've assembled".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

sotcfan2004

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:21:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'199852\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 05:37 PM\'] 2 1/2 hours for 2 shows???? Hopefully, they let you use the restroom during the stopdowns. :P

Any re-enactments or "pickups"?

/wouldn't know---I don't watch it---the Green Bay market, to my knowledge, didn't pick it up [/quote]

Lots of both.  Christopher really seemed uncomfortable with the whole process.  I did win a DVD copy of the TV western 'Maverick' as a door prize, though.

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' post=\'199928\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 01:21 PM\']Lots of both.  Christopher really seemed uncomfortable with the whole process.[/quote]Why does this not surprise me?   Oh, that's right.  He should not be hosting a game and sticking with that unscripted reality crap he's been doing for years now.

I will be surprised if this makes it past January.

[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' post=\'199928\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 01:21 PM\']I did win a DVD copy of the TV western 'Maverick' as a door prize, though.
[/quote]
Approves
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

sshuffield70

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'199929\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 01:31 PM\']
Approves
[/quote]

And she's just as lovely in person as she is on TV.  Yes, I went to see her today.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »
And she's just as lovely in person as she is on TV. Yes, I went to see her today.
Tina Fey or Governor Palin?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'199937\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 03:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'199929\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 01:31 PM\']
Approves
[/quote]And she's just as lovely in person as she is on TV.  Yes, I went to see her today.[/quote]
Tina Fey was making a public appearance somewhere?  Did she bring her flute?  (She actually can play.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'199939\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 03:17 PM\']Tina Fey was making a public appearance somewhere?  Did she bring her flute?  (She actually can play.)[/quote]
I keep getting reminded of (I think) an AmEx commercial she did not too long ago, where part of it involved her playing a flute.  Such an odd coincedence.
This signature is currently under construction.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'199893\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 12:02 AM\']And CS 2K1 had its share of moments that needed to be reshot, as well...I recall the late Randy Amasia offering a report on a taping session he attended (might have been one of his last, IIRC)[/quote]
Definitely one of his last.  His last was the 2001 Jeopardy! College Tournament 2-game final with Jason Hernandez, Justin Lollie, and some handsome fellow from Cleveland who was in town.

If we're talking about hellish game show tapings, who could forget possibly the worst taping of all, the 2006 season premiere of Deal or No Deal?

sshuffield70

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'199938\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 03:16 PM\']
And she's just as lovely in person as she is on TV. Yes, I went to see her today.
Tina Fey or Governor Palin?
[/quote]

Well, if I say I'm not a Tina Fey fan, who does that leave? ;)

joshg

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'199945\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 01:44 PM\']
His last was the 2001 Jeopardy! College Tournament 2-game final with Jason Hernandez, Justin Lollie, and some handsome fellow from Cleveland who was in town.
[/quote]
Wait... Drew Carey was there?
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...