The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Way Out Games

(1/3) > >>

dheine1971:
Does anyone remember the 1976 CBS Saturday morning kids game show called "Way Out Games" hosted by Sonny Fox and taped at Magic Mountain theme park in California? This is one of the voting candidates in the 2003 Game Show Network Feast of Favorites which I am voting for almost every day.

uncamark:
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 09:00 AM\']Does anyone remember the 1976 CBS Saturday morning kids game show called "Way Out Games" hosted by Sonny Fox and taped at Magic Mountain theme park in California? This is one of the voting candidates in the 2003 Game Show Network Feast of Favorites which I am voting for almost every day.[/quote]
Yeah, I remember it, Raymond.

It's a B&E show, which is why GSN has access to it (the second show after "Break the Bank" of Barry and Enright's official reunion as partners).  Physical games and stunts in the "Double Dare" mold without the messy stuff.  Fox was ehhh as a host (to you New Yorkers, how did "Wonderama" become such a New York TV institution with him hosting?) and veteran game show producer/creator Mark Maxwell-Smith came on camera as Fox's wacky sidekick.  Originally shot with either no audience or a very small and quiet audience, CBS had it sweetened up the wazoo after the first few eps.  If I recall, a catchy theme written by Merv's bandleader Mort Lindsey accompanied by a crude-but-effective animation of the show's mascot (Fox:  "He's a funny fellow, isn't he?").  Only ran one season, like most of the eat-your-fruit live-action Saturday-morning series of the era (yeah, there was some sort of educational content in the show, damn if I remember what it was).

No way in hell it'll make the Top Twelve.

melman1:
You're voting for a children's show?  Sheesh.

That Don Guy:
I remember it as well, but not much that isn't mentioned in the blurb in EoTVGS (although I'm pretty sure the organization that approved the stunts was AAHPE, and didn't have "recreation" in its title yet).  I do recall that each team had three boys, three girls, and a coach (and the coach introduced the teams, although the kids' last names were never mentioned, unlike Junior Almost Anything Goes), and, while each team was referred to by state, they mentioned nothing about where the kids were from or how they were selected.  (Apparently, each team represented a single middle/junior high school, but how they were selected remains a mystery.  Hopefully, it was more "competitive" than The Junior Superstars, where each state was represented by one boy and one girl from the same school, chosen by that state's Department of Education based on a number of factors, so it was not determining the best high school age athletes by any remote definition of the term; I find it highly coincidental that the California school chosen happened to be in Sacramento.)

I do have one question: what did they do if one team won the first two events but another won the third - did they repeat the last event with the two tied teams, or was there a separate tiebreaker event?

-- Don

Matt Ottinger:
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 04:51 PM\'] You're voting for a children's show?  Sheesh. [/quote]
 As obsessed as some of our members are with Nick GAS, I'm surprised there's not more interest in some of the GSN kids' games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version