Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL: Did they miss an obvious solution?  (Read 7796 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
PYL: Did they miss an obvious solution?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'199135\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 03:33 PM\']
I forgot, yes, they only added more patterns. Any network "believes" in a show when and for as long as it gets ratings. In reality, the $100,000+ they gave Larsen busted their prize budget, but wasn't a huge sum in the context of the overall cost of production.
[/quote]
Not only that, but it probably provided a bit of a ratings spike.  I was a casual PYL viewer, preferring to watch $otC instead.  Needless to say, I didn't watch $otC those two days (and bear in mind that those of me in Chicago saw Larsen's run one day later than almost everybody else).

Still regret I never saw your eps, Randy.  I was in college at Indiana at the time, and in those years TV schedules were on Central Time in the summer and Eastern Time in the winter (so WISH-TV didn't start airing PYL until about six weeks in, when we set the clocks back).  (By the time of the Larsen eps, I was home in Chicago for summer vacation.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:55:52 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'199137\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 04:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'199135\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 03:33 PM\']
I forgot, yes, they only added more patterns. Any network "believes" in a show when and for as long as it gets ratings. In reality, the $100,000+ they gave Larsen busted their prize budget, but wasn't a huge sum in the context of the overall cost of production.
[/quote]
Not only that, but it probably provided a bit of a ratings spike.  I was a casual PYL viewer, preferring to watch $otC instead.  Needless to say, I didn't watch $otC those two days (and bear in mind that those of me in Chicago saw Larsen's run one day later than almost everybody else).[/quote]
Bear in mind that the only reason we knew to watch was because, in a strikingly unusual circumstance for a daytime game show of the early 1980s, the information was reported in advance of airing.  And since Larsen probably didn't have a PR staff, the information had to be provided by people who ultimately decided that it would be good to possibly get a ratings bump for this remarkable event.
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'199137\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 04:54 PM\'](and bear in mind that those of me in Chicago... )[/quote]
Just wondering, how many of you are there?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:03:39 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'199138\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 04:01 PM\']
Bear in mind that the only reason we knew to watch was because, in a strikingly unusual circumstance for a daytime game show of the early 1980s, the information was reported in advance of airing.  And since Larsen probably didn't have a PR staff, the information had to be provided by people who ultimately decided that it would be good to possibly get a ratings bump for this remarkable event.
[/quote]
Yes, but I'm talking more about the people who after seeing the Larsen eps stuck around and watched in the days and weeks ahead (even though that wasn't really made clear from my post).

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'199138\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 04:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'199137\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 04:54 PM\'](and bear in mind that those of me in Chicago... )[/quote]
Just wondering, how many of you are there?[/quote]

Too many, that's why I'm trying to lose a little girth.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:10:49 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'199127\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 02:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'199125\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 02:15 PM\']
do we know how long it took to tape the larsen game as opposed to normal?'
[/quote]

This would be a good place to look, for a start.
[/quote]Where does it say, in that article, how long the episode took to tape?  I didn't see it; even after reading it twice.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'199140\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 05:32 PM\']
Where does it say, in that article, how long the episode took to tape?  I didn't see it; even after reading it twice.
[/quote]
Please, for the love of all things Holy, do not respond to this.

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'199142\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 05:49 PM\']
Where does it say, in that article, how long the episode took to tape?  I didn't see it; even after reading it twice.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Agreed...I speak for no one but myself, and consider myself a pretty tolerant person. That being said, even my patience has worn thin with the recent threadjacks due to pissing matches.

And I don't mean to sound high and mighty; just saying enough is enough, IMODO.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:59:07 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'199143\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 04:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'199142\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 05:49 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Agreed...I speak for no one but myself, and have no problems with disagreements. That being said, even my patience has worn thin with the threadjacks from pissing matches.[/quote]I would have made the same comment regardless of the poster.  I can't stand when people snark, give an answer, and that answer fails to actually provide the question the OP was looking for in the first place.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
I guess I can't even be helpful without certain people bitching at me. Wow.

I directed toetyper to the article because it's a start at least to have some sort of implied time the episode took to tape. At the very least it took more than a half-hour. I didn't want to leave toetyper flapping in the wind, so I decided to direct him somewhere where he could find at least a little information, and maybe someone with more knowledge of the situation could expand upon that and in the process help others who are curious, myself included, find out the solution.

Nowhere near a snark. NOWHERE.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:28:47 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 07:00:36 PM »
Oh goddamn.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

toetyper

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'199145\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 06:23 PM\']

I directed toetyper to the article because it's a start at least to have some sort of implied time the episode took to tape. At the very least it took more than a half-hour. I didn't want to leave toetyper flapping in the wind, so I decided to direct him somewhere where he could find at least a little information, and maybe someone with more knowledge of the situation could expand upon that and in the process help others who are curious, myself included, find out the solution.

Nowhere near a snark. NOWHERE
[/quote]

First if you had read the site you wouldcve known it didnt answer my question

second of course it took more than a  half hour to tape  IT TOOK AN HOUR TO AIR

PYLdude

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'199154\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 06:41 PM\']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Alright, fine. See if I try to help you again.

I read the site. I know the site. I know the page. I thought it would HELP. Apparently you're ungrateful for that, so I can't help you.

You're welcome, by the way.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:53:04 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

toetyper

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'199155\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 07:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'199154\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 06:41 PM\']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Alright, fine. See if I try to help you again.

I read the site. I know the site. I know the page. I thought it would HELP. Apparently you're ungrateful for that, so I can't help you.

You're welcome, by the way.
[/quote]

if the site doesnt answer  my question .  how could itt help?

PYLdude

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'199161\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 07:15 PM\']
if the site doesnt answer  my question .  how could itt help?
[/quote]

It was a START. I made that pretty damn clear from the beginning.

Ungrateful. Really. But you're still welcome.

Next time, try asking a question that can be definitively answered one way or another.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:19:54 PM by PYLdude »

TheLastResort

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 08:23:22 PM »
It took an hour and 27 minutes to tape.  Now shaddap!!!!

PYLdude

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 08:26:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'199165\' date=\'Oct 7 2008, 07:23 PM\']
It took an hour and 27 minutes to tape.  Now shaddap!!!!
[/quote]

From someone who was curious himself, thank you.