Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EPIC FAIL  (Read 9486 times)

rwalker

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »

Mr. Armadillo

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 02:24:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'198510\' date=\'Sep 29 2008, 11:40 PM\']
As matter of fact, my reaction was precisely, "What are you afraid of, he'll come back and beat you in the Tournament of Champions?"
[/quote]
Exactly...and I'd think you're more likely to beat someone you've already beaten than someone you've never played against, but I might be way off here.

There's a difference between being in a runaway, and betting to finish in a tie, and betting from the lead so that second wins if he 1) is right and 2) bets the lot. And on that fifth day, you're gone anyhow, right? Why not leave the door open?
Don't forget that, if you're in the lead, you generally WANT the guy in second to go all-in.  He's waiving any rights he may have had to the Double Stumper if he does so, and shouldn't you do everything within your power to entice him to do that?

Matt Ottinger

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'198727\' date=\'Oct 2 2008, 02:24 PM\']
Exactly...and I'd think you're more likely to beat someone you've already beaten than someone you've never played against, but I might be way off here.[/quote]
That's one of the arguments I make for allowing the possibility of a tie anytime, not just on the now-irrelevant "fifth day".  If I was in the lead, and felt comfortable that I had outplayed my opponent and didn't just get lucky with a fluke Daily Double or something, I think I would probably allow for the possibility of a tie and take my chances with at least one known quantity rather than two unknowns.  There are very strong and persuasive arguments against that theory however, mostly the idea that a returning player has an immeasurable advantage of experience with the signaling device.

[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'198727\' date=\'Oct 2 2008, 02:24 PM\']Don't forget that, if you're in the lead, you generally WANT the guy in second to go all-in.  He's waiving any rights he may have had to the Double Stumper if he does so, and shouldn't you do everything within your power to entice him to do that?[/quote]
Well, since the wagers are secret, whether or not you allow the chance for a tie is something your opponent doesn't know, so your bet doesn't entice him to do anything.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.