Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EPIC FAIL  (Read 9484 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'198306\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 06:08 AM\']IIRC, she later tried to raise a stink about it to the media and nothing ever came of it. (Something like Regis bullied her into guessing or something) That's just how inflated her ego was.

/The first female $1M winner on WWTBAM was so much more deserving.
[/quote]

I do remember Regis talking about that in the next morning's edition of Live. The only thing Regis "goaded" her into doing was taking the $250,000 and running. He saw that, much like I did in the DVR playback (that I will keep), she was mulling over it for too long and moonwalked her way out of $218,000.

Seeing her walk off in a huff was rather satisfying for me...and I rooted for every Millionaire contestant in that chair during that time.

The Inquisitive One

/Nancy Christy FTW!
This is the Way.

narzo

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
Can't recall his name, thank goodness, but the arrogant ass who was the big winner on J some months (year maybe?) after Ken Jennings.  He jumped all over the board to try and get the Daily Double(s) before anyone else.  Then when someone would get ANY answer right he had this smug "well that was easy, I knew that too" look on his face.  I despised his attitude and couldn't wait for him to lose.

chad1m

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'198319\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 12:16 PM\']Can't recall his name, thank goodness, but the arrogant ass who was the big winner on J some months (year maybe?) after Ken Jennings. [/quote]Yesssss. Are you referring to David Madden? If so, I completely agree with you. I know it's strategy to "fish" for the Daily Doubles and bounce around, but it's just... I dunno... annoying?

And thanks to all on the help with Kati. If anyone could point me to a YouTube link, or upload one themselves, that would be awesome.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:55:54 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
EPIC FAIL
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'198319\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 09:16 AM\']
He jumped all over the board to try and get the Daily Double(s) before anyone else.[/quote]
Yes, Gawd forbid a game-show contestant should use a completely reasonable strategy in his approach to the game.

I'm not saying the dude wasn't obnoxious for other reasons, but this just strikes me as a completely dickish reason to root against someone.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rwalker

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'198297\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 02:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'198296\' date=\'Sep 26 2008, 11:00 PM\']
Can someone please elaborate [or provide a clip of] this Kati Millionaire incident? Being 10 or 11 when it originally aired past my bedtime, I'm not completely sure of what we're referring to. =\
[/quote]
She took forever and a day just to get to $8,000, and then spent what must have been at least ten minutes on each question she faced thereafter, refusing to walk away just because she wanted to be The First Woman To Win The Million. She reportedly spent almost an hour on the $500,000 question before blowing it.
[/quote]

Regis said it clocked in at 52 minutes. I believe I read it, or he even mentioned it on the documentary that GSN had about WWTBAM over a year ago.

rwalker

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'198308\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 08:47 AM\']
[quote name=\'trustno1\' post=\'198307\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 08:40 AM\']
I can tell you that Kati is still practicing medicine.
If any of you catch up to her, mention her Millionaire experience.
[/quote]
Got an e-mail address for her? If so, I'll write to her and share her reply.
Maybe we can all take turns. She'll spontaneously combust.
[/quote]

Or even self destruct, in 30 seconds!

/Peter Graves always accepted the Mission, right?
//What if he wouldn't have, it would be Impossible to have a show!
///Was he ever a game show panelist?

rwalker

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
In a way, it would have been funny if Mike Larsen lost over a 100k on a whammy!

They said he lost his "train of thought" a few times and almost whammied.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:50:29 PM by rwalker »

Kevin Prather

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'198328\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 11:49 AM\']
In a way, it would have been funny if Mike Larsen lost over a 100k on a whammy!

They said he lost his "train of thought" a few times and almost whammied.
[/quote]
Yeah. His last spin landed one square short, and hit the square that was navigating away from "$700 + 1 spin". It had a 50/50 shot of going to either the Bahamas or a whammy. It went to the Bahamas.

And GSN did a documentary on Millionaire? Is this available for online viewing anywhere?

rwalker

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_progr..._Show_Network#G

There's the exact title. I'd be sure it has been bootlegged to youtube.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
EPIC FAIL
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'198327\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 01:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'198308\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 08:47 AM\']
[/quote]

Or even self destruct, in 30 seconds!
[/quote]

Wishes you hadn't said that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
Anyone with a D/ND board that has the one million, then more than three dollar values under five-figures, yet says that "(Insert six-figure dollar amount) isn't enough for me, Howie, and I just know I have teh m1llionz!!1!OMGWTFBBQ!!!1", then picks the $1 mil case on their next turn.

The show should offer those types of contestants this framed poster.

There was also another guy during the Regis Millionaire era, c. spring 2000 who got a $64,000 question on Sid Caesar (IIRC on both dollar value and subject). He was a smart-ass the whole game, and when Regis asked for confirmation, he snaps, "What part of 'Final answer' don't you understand?!"

Regis immediately snapped back "You're wrong!", in a tone that let you know he was pretty irritated with said contestant's behavior. I remember being fairly surprised at Regis's tone, but the schnadenfreudist in me loved it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 03:25:53 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'198335\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 12:24 PM\']
There was also another guy during the Regis Millionaire era, c. spring 2000 who got a $64,000 question on Sid Caesar (IIRC on both dollar value and subject). He was a smart-ass the whole game, and when Regis asked for confirmation, he snaps, "What part of 'Final answer' don't you understand?!"

Regis immediately snapped back "You're wrong!", in a tone that let you know he was pretty irritated with said contestant's behavior. I remember being fairly surprised at Regis's tone, but the schnadenfreudist in me loved it.
[/quote]
Ah yes. I remember him. Kurt Warkenthein, the guy right after Rob Coughlin. Regis said in an interview that he was his least favorite contestant. Kurt would never let Regis get a word in edgewise, and at one point called him "Begis."

Matt Ottinger

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'198335\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 03:24 PM\']There was also another guy during the Regis Millionaire era, c. spring 2000 who got a $64,000 question on Sid Caesar (IIRC on both dollar value and subject). He was a smart-ass the whole game, and when Regis asked for confirmation, he snaps, "What part of 'Final answer' don't you understand?!"

Regis immediately snapped back "You're wrong!", in a tone that let you know he was pretty irritated with said contestant's behavior. I remember being fairly surprised at Regis's tone, but the schnadenfreudist in me loved it.[/quote]
I don't think it was the Sid Caesar question, or if it was then it was a different one than I'm thinking of.  They had a question about Your Show Of Shows that had a flaw in it, an error that had been (and still is) widely reported as fact in many reference books and biographies.  I don't remember the exact wording of the question, but part of it assumed that Woody Allen wrote for Your Show of Shows, when in fact he worked for a later series called Caesar's Hour.

Thing is, as I recall, they brought that contestant back even though he admitted it wouldn't have mattered.  My memory of it was that he was nice and friendly and grateful for an opportunity he wasn't expecting.  Doesn't sound like the same guy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'198339\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 01:52 PM\']
Thing is, as I recall, they brought that contestant back even though he admitted it wouldn't have mattered.  My memory of it was that he was nice and friendly and grateful for an opportunity he wasn't expecting.  Doesn't sound like the same guy.
[/quote]
Well, Kurt was a nice enough guy...he was just obnoxious as hell.

trustno1

EPIC FAIL
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'198308\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 07:47 AM\']
[quote name=\'trustno1\' post=\'198307\' date=\'Sep 27 2008, 08:40 AM\']
I can tell you that Kati is still practicing medicine.
If any of you catch up to her, mention her Millionaire experience.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Unfortuantely I do not, but I did read a report that she enjoyed the experience, despite the final result.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats