Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Singing Bee' Mini-Marathon on Bravo Mon.  (Read 4344 times)

uncamark

'Singing Bee' Mini-Marathon on Bravo Mon.
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
As part of Bravo's daytime programming strategy of throwing darts at their programming inventory and doing marathons (when they're not marathoning the current seasons of currently-running originals), four episodes of "Singing Bee" this Monday from noon to 2 p.m. ET/PT:

http://www.bravotv.com/Schedule/index.php?date=09-15-2008

No descriptions, but the descriptions on TV Guide Interactive seem to indicate that at least one show that never aired on NBC (or I don't recall seeing)--an all-Lennon/McCartney show--will be shown.  They're all from the fall season with returning champions, so I assume they're airing in sequence (but I know about assuming).

FYI.

rigsby

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »
NBC did preempt an episode last October and ended up skipping it, since the next one in sequence was Halloween-themed.  Perhaps this is that missed ep.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »
I'm glad to see the L/M ep will finally air.

If this works, they should dust off the Aussie version as well. Noone would even notice.
@lambertman

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
This may be an unpopular opinion, But I actually liked this show.
insert signature here

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
I liked Singing Bee too! What I liked about Singing Bee is that host Joey Fatone makes the show about the CONTESTANTS, and not so much about himself... unlike Wayne Brady and Don't Forget the Lyrics. Singing Bee is NOT a "big money" show like Lyrics. It's decent money, but they don't make such a big fuss over it.
Singing Bee, for me, had the same level of fun and spunk as Tom Kennedy's version of Name that Tune (Jim Lange's version wasn't that bad, just that each show was pretty much... the same)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'197039\' date=\'Sep 12 2008, 10:51 AM\']
This may be an unpopular opinion, But I actually liked this show.[/quote]
Not in the least. Beats the HELL out of Don't Forget Teh Lyrics Or Wayne Brady Is Gonna Have To Choke A Bitch.

/Approves
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:41:41 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'197039\' date=\'Sep 12 2008, 01:51 PM\']
This may be an unpopular opinion, But I actually liked this show.
[/quote]
Not unpopular to me. I loved the show. Creative, great play-along value, and great variety of games.

/Syndication, anyone?
//$25,000 grand prize
///This one deserves another shot
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »
This may be an unpopular opinion, But I actually liked this show. [/quote]

So did I. Of The Singing Bee and DFTL on FOX, I thought TSB was the better show, but Wayne Brady is the better host. Seeing this was Joey's first hosting gig (I believe), I think he did better than some other hosts I will not mention just to avoid trashing anyone. TSB didn't take itself as seriously as DFTL, it was more about the music and fun, while on DFTL, the emphasis is clearly on money. I'll be taping some of TSB episodes on my VCR.

I also think TSB would do great as a half-hour syndie, like DOND, WOF, etc. If I was the producer, I would try that, since it looks like NBC has no interest in bringing this show back.

There's also a DVD game of TSB out in stores. Get it while you can. It's sure to become a collector's item.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 04:59:26 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'197057\' date=\'Sep 12 2008, 04:53 PM\']
I also think TSB would do great as a half-hour syndie, like DOND, WOF, etc. If I was the producer, I would try that, since it looks like NBC has no interest in bringing this show back.
[/quote]
Technically, wasn't it still an NBC (or Universal Media or whatever the hell they call themselves this year) production? Or was it just Gurin?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 01:11:24 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'197058\' date=\'Sep 12 2008, 03:59 PM\']
[/quote]
Technically, wasn't it still an NBC (or Universal Media or whatever the hell they call themselves this year) production? Or was it just Gurin?
[/quote]

Gurin, the other guy who had the idea for the show and ITV Productions (or Granada America).  I suspect that NBC still holds an option for back door syndication, but once that runs out Gurin and Granada could pitch the show to other syndicators.

davemackey

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:55 PM »
This may be an unpopular opinion, But I actually liked this show. [/quote]

So did I. Of The Singing Bee and DFTL on FOX, I thought TSB was the better show, but Wayne Brady is the better host. [/quote]

"Singing Bee" just had so much more going for it, but the viewers seemed to like the higher dramma of the Fox game.

Tale of the tape:

Host: Brady vs. Fatone - edge to Brady, so funny and talented
Eye candy: Random audience backup singers vs. Honey Bees (hi, Lisa) - edge to the Bees
Game play: tossup
Announcer: Mark Thompson vs. none - edge to Thompson, by default
Music: Rickey Minor vs. Ray Chew - my edge goes to Chew for the fact that there's infinitely more music to prepare, more musicians (including singers) on this show (including former "Tonight Show" trumpet guy Lee Thornburg), and Chew also spent a few years in the SNL Band so that skews my vote
Stage set: vote goes to Bee. Lyrics' stage set seems awfully claustrophobic

So let's add em up.... and I think Bee just edges out Lyrics, 3-1/2 to 2-1/2.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:17:25 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'197362\' date=\'Sep 16 2008, 05:06 PM\']
Game play: tossup
[/quote]
I'll give the point to Bee. Variety in format and actual competition involving contestants. Not to mention a true bonus round instead of the money tree.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
Right, see, I was gonna say that if Thompson wins the announcing race by default, then Bee wins the bonus game race for the same reason.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SteveR

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »
This is one show of several that could work on a 'niche' cable channel. TSB on VH1, Whose Line on Comedy Central, etc.

I also preferred the Bee. Much more competition.

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
Is the Aussie version still in production? This was another show which had the same host on 2 different continents...must've been a helluva commute for Fatone!

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby")