Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Mismatched" Themes.  (Read 20141 times)

Don Howard

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2008, 08:54:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'195917\' date=\'Sep 2 2008, 07:47 PM\']
How many more days, Don, before your permanent retirement from the forum???
;)
[/quote]
Matt and Chris may be discussing that subject at this very moment.

Jay Temple

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »
My .02 on the Pyramid themes:
To start and end the show, I like "Tuning Up" better. (I also like it on its own as just a good piece of music.)
To celebrate a win in the Winner's Circle, I like the 80's version.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jeremy Nelson

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:32 PM »
IMHO, the $25K theme and Tuning Up both match their respective versions of Pyramid. Seeing how nearly every piece of music in the 80s included synthesizers and electric camel drums, the $25K theme was lucky to have been spared.

None of the Wheel of Fortune themes since 1995 have matched the show. None of them sound totally mismatched to the show, but they all sound a little off.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

kenbob_clarker

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 08:30:56 PM »
I've always thought Gambit and CBS Joker's Wild should've swapped themes.  The circusish music used on Gambit would've suited TJW just fine, I think.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

StevenRosenow

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 08:24:51 AM »
The Steve Kaplan remixes to the Jeopardy! theme from 1997 onwards. The 1992 bongo inlay over the original 1984 theme grew on me after a few years, but I've never, ever been able to like the Kaplan arrangement. They just suck, and suck lemons and sour grapes, they do.

IMHO, it sucked the heart and soul out of an otherwise perfectly fine piece of game show music.

I'm willing to bet that even now, the original, smooth, and highly refined electronic opening and main theme would fit the show in its current iteration (despite the fact that I also loathe with a passion its current set).

Orion

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »
My vote: the MG/HS Hour theme. I've always been fond of it (and I like it as a car cue on TPIR), but I've always thought it was one of the most inappropriate TV show themes I've ever heard.

Shell

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 04:31:59 PM »
What about Million Dollar Password?

A little over-dramatic for Password.

I also thought the 82 Tattletales theme was redundant and not as good as the original.

tvwxman

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Shell\' post=\'196143\' date=\'Sep 5 2008, 04:31 PM\']
I also thought the 82 Tattletales theme was redundant and not as good as the original.
[/quote]
Completely disagree...I always liked the 82 version much better than the 76...but that one grew on me over the years.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Ian Wallis

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »

I'll have to agree with you there.  I didn't mind the '82 theme, but I liked the original from '74 much better.  They ended up using several slight variations of that theme during the '70s.  By '77, the "mix" wasn't quite as good as it was earlier.

I also didn't mind the '80s Pyramid theme - maybe it wasn't as good as the original, but it was a new version of the show and I think it needed a new version of the theme.  I can't think of any show that had the exact same music package when a new version was launched - except maybe the '70s High Rollers (the '74 and '78 versions were basically the same music-wise).  Even Feud's theme was "remixed", as several have pointed out.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
IIRC, "Battlestars" and "The New Battlestars" had the same music package.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Orion\' post=\'196087\' date=\'Sep 4 2008, 09:10 PM\']
My vote: the MG/HS Hour theme. I've always been fond of it (and I like it as a car cue on TPIR), but I've always thought it was one of the most inappropriate TV show themes I've ever heard.
[/quote]
This I'm curious about.  Why is it inappropriate?  Every time I hear it, it brings excitement, like something big will happen.

CarbonCpy

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'196170\' date=\'Sep 5 2008, 08:30 PM\']
This I'm curious about.  Why is it inappropriate?  Every time I hear it, it brings excitement, like something big will happen.
[/quote]

Funny how they never followed through with that promise, isn't it. :-p

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:11 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' post=\'196172\' date=\'Sep 5 2008, 05:49 PM\']
Funny how they never followed through with that promise, isn't it. :-p[/quote]
I'm one of the few demented souls who actually *really liked* MGHSH, even after knowing how broken the HS part of the equation was.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 09:12:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'196174\' date=\'Sep 5 2008, 09:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' post=\'196172\' date=\'Sep 5 2008, 05:49 PM\']
Funny how they never followed through with that promise, isn't it. :-p[/quote]
I'm one of the few demented souls who actually *really liked* MGHSH, even after knowing how broken the HS part of the equation was.
[/quote]
I liked it too, even though my 4th grade mind back in '83 didn't get most of the questions in either portion of the game.  But damn, that music and the big illuminated wall caught the amazement and attention of at least one 8-year-old at the time...

CarShark

"Mismatched" Themes.
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »
[quote name=\'StevenRosenow\' post=\'196026\' date=\'Sep 4 2008, 08:24 AM\']
The Steve Kaplan remixes to the Jeopardy! theme from 1997 onwards. The 1992 bongo inlay over the original 1984 theme grew on me after a few years, but I've never, ever been able to like the Kaplan arrangement. They just suck, and suck lemons and sour grapes, they do.

IMHO, it sucked the heart and soul out of an otherwise perfectly fine piece of game show music.[/quote]I actually like Kaplan's mix OK, maybe more than the pre-bongo theme.

I'm willing to bet that even now, the original, smooth, and highly refined electronic opening and main theme would fit the show in its current iteration (despite the fact that I also loathe with a passion its current set).
You're kidding, right? It would sound hugely dated, just like the Combs Feud theme did when Karn was hosting.