Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Family and Game Shows  (Read 6223 times)

xavier45

Your Family and Game Shows
« on: August 02, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
Other than you, is there anyone else in your family that loves Game Shows?

For me, nobody in my family really loves Game Shows like I do. The only ones my family can stand are Match Game and Family Feud, but other than those, they really can't stand Game Shows.

trainman

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »
As far as I know, the only current game show either of my parents can stand is "Jeopardy!", although they only see it occasionally -- i.e., it's not something they have their respective DVRs set for.

But they do like game shows in general; my father, in particular, is often nostalgic for the days when he'd come home from high school and watch "The Match Game" and "You Don't Say!" with his mother.  (Last year for Christmas, I gave him some of the original "MG" question cards that Dick DeBartolo was selling -- it was much appreciated.)

And one of my father's sisters was an impostor on the daytime "To Tell the Truth" at some point in the mid-to-late-1960s.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:16:17 PM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

Johnissoevil

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:23:12 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'193185\' date=\'Aug 2 2008, 08:30 PM\']
Other than you, is there anyone else in your family that loves Game Shows?

For me, nobody in my family really loves Game Shows like I do. The only ones my family can stand are Match Game and Family Feud, but other than those, they really can't stand Game Shows.
[/quote]

It was my parents who got me into game shows.  They'd watch the daytime shows, as well as Joker, Bowling for Dollars, Tic Tac Dough, Dating Game, Newlywed Game, Cross Wits, Narz Concentration, and whatever else was on.  My grandmother loved TTD.  If she could help it, she would NEVER miss an episode.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 12:28:16 AM »
I got the fix from my father, who would watch the Barry/Enright pairing as an evening break while studying for the bar exam, but apparently my fan-ness runs deeper than anyone in the family. When both my sister and I were still at home, we'd have dinner while watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! which worked beautifully, because Wheel was effectively background noise while we discussed our day.

Then I realized that Millionaire was on at 7p, and it became the Millionaire/Jeopardy! hour. But no one else in my family would actually choose a game show, or the Game Show Network as something to watch.
Travis L. Eberle

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:49:36 AM »
My paternal grandmom got me watching J! when it was on in the afternoon.  That made me a game show fan.  As for my mom, she's a Wheel Watcher(no, not the club you join at Sony's WOF web site, but an actual WOF watcher).  My stepdad's into Millionaire & DoND.  My sister's fascinated by those 5th graders on AYSTA5G?  My two aunts are game show nuts, especially my oldest one living in Australlia.  None of my nieces or nephews I know of watch game shows as is my only brother(he HATES them!).

beatlefreak84

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
The only two people in my family who I know watch some game shows outside of my presence are my mom and grandma, who, not surprisingly, introduced me to the genre.  They found that I was the most well-behaved during USA's afternoon game show block, which they enjoyed as well...hence, it became our afternoon routine.

But, when I got older, my love for game shows increased a LOT, while theirs decreased.  Part of that was because of me subjecting them to tons of different shows (he he), but the other part was that they were kinda picky about what game shows they watched.  Now, the only shows I know my mom will occasionally watch are TPIR and MDP, though she will watch GSN with me on occasion, especially the morning line-up.  And my grandma only watches J! without my presence now...:).

\Yet my parents and I all like Wipeout...yep; bonding over big balls...;)

Anthony

P.S.  Thanks Dad for finding out we could get GSN and getting it for my room when I was younger...;)
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

bwood

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 02:58:56 AM »
My Grandma Wood (Father's mom) got me into game shows. I remember going to her house when she babysat me and we would pretty much watch game shows all day. My earliest memories were watching Eubanks CS and Classic Concentration (I'm only 23). We would also play little games together and kind of make our own home versions. I can always remember watching Card Sharks then she'd get out a deck of cards for me and we'd play out own game.  She passed away in 1993 but she gave me the love for game shows (and games in general) that I still have today.

My mother was (and still is) pretty big into game shows too so what I didn't watch and Grandma's carried over to the home. Even to this day when I go to her house you can bet GSN is on or on a network that a game show is on. She was kind of brought up on them too, and her mother still watches them a lot.

My girlfriend/fiance gets into watching game shows a lot too. She used to watch them off and on, but now I notice she is watching them more, so I must be rubbing off on her.

Everyone else in my family never really got into them.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:32:06 AM »
My mom tells me that my great-grandmother loved "Match Game 7x". I believe I probably picked up my love from either her or my grandfather. While staying at her apartment, she'd watch daytime games, and one of my earliest memories involved watching Joker and Lange's Name That Tune, being mesmerized by the neon joker and colorful Tune Topics board, respectively.

My grandfather is a big TPiR and Pyramid fan, and still watches the "Match Game" reruns on GSN.
One of my uncles is also a game show fan, most likely Price.

I think I got my mom into games as well; she enjoys D/ND and likes to challenge herself with Crosswords.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
Outside of bemused toleration, the only example I can think of is my grandparents watching TPIR with me on occasion when I was very young. It's hard to look back and tell how genuinely interested they were, but I do know that they "played along" on occasion, taking guesses at showcase prices and such.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
My dad almost got on Jeopardy! around 1986 but he had (and some folks think still has) the personality of peat moss.  He still watches Jeopardy! every now and then, but hasn't tried out for the show since '86.  My sister's life-long goal is to get onto a game show.  Her and I tried out for Lingo in 2006 in Akron.  All we got out of that deal were 2 blue foam Lingo balls, a signed pic of Shandi, and I got my pic with Shandi.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'193232\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 02:05 PM\']and I got my pic with Shandi.[/quote]Did you get anything else with the picture?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'193233\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 03:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'193232\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 02:05 PM\']and I got my pic with Shandi.[/quote]Did you get anything else with the picture?
[/quote]
Yes, blue balls.

/Will be here all week.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
[/quote]

I sure as hell did!!!  ;-P

/And I didn't even go to Summit Mall that day knowing that she, nor the tryouts, were going to be there!

bwood

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 03:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'193232\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 03:05 PM\']
2 blue foam Lingo balls [/quote]

He got that too

EDIT: Got beat to it!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:21:00 PM by bwood »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'193234\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 12:18 PM\']
[/quote]
Yes, blue balls.
[/quote]
It's deep...and I don't think it's playable.

Bravo. Bravissimo.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:37:57 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe