Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 50th Anniversary of Concentration will be this year  (Read 13795 times)

Don Howard

50th Anniversary of Concentration will be this year
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'195129\' date=\'Aug 25 2008, 01:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'195126\' date=\'Aug 25 2008, 01:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'195125\' date=\'Aug 25 2008, 01:37 PM\']
This reminds me a lot of the excitement when they discovered a whole bunch of classic Hollywood Squares episodes. We were all SO thrilled that GSN was going to air them[/quote]
Wish I'd thought of that.[/quote]
Jeepers, sorry about that Don.  I'm not exactly sure how I missed your comment, I'm usually pretty good about such things.
[/quote]
That's okay. Great minds think alike, yes?
I was just fearful that I was on your blocked poster list.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2008, 04:41:10 AM »
As far as wiping the other producers tapes, it's like borrowing a tape you didn't like from a friend who doesn't want it back. Do you keep it for them or reuse it?
I'm Mark Goodson. I paid for the tape stock and I paid for the facilities to record and edit my show. I own the programming content on the tape. You, Mr. Network, got your one licensed run out of it which we contractually agreed to. I never authorized you to destroy the recording. So where's my tape?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:43:38 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'195191\' date=\'Aug 26 2008, 04:41 AM\']
As far as wiping the other producers tapes, it's like borrowing a tape you didn't like from a friend who doesn't want it back. Do you keep it for them or reuse it?
I'm Mark Goodson. I paid for the tape stock and I paid for the facilities to record and edit my show. I own the programming content on the tape. You, Mr. Network, got your one licensed run out of it which we contractually agreed to. I never authorized you to destroy the recording. So where's my tape?
[/quote]
In that case the producer should have the show.  With the exception of "Mindreaders" (which I realize is a big exception, since you worked on that show), I thought the NBC Goodson shows of the 70's and beyond were intact. I'm referring to situations where the producer didn't want the shows.

What I'm saying is there shouldn't be surprise that NBC kept Concentration.  They own it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:37:58 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rwalker

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'192667\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 08:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'192657\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 07:57 PM\']
Oh boy.

All things equal, I'd rather they made "Concentration" a hit like "Concentration", and stay as far away from making it a hit like "Deal or No Deal" as possible.
[/quote]
Amen to that!!!

Because the last thing we need is another show/remake with screaming meemies going "Hi I'm Jill and I'm a college student and I need a Wild Card so I can win a NEW SKI JET! WOOOOOO!!!!"
[/quote]

Thank you Rich Fields!  (and that would be the announcer, who would be the host? )

rwalker

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »
Don't forget NBC has their claws gripped on Woolery Scrabble also. That has about much as much of a chance(slim to none) of coming to fruition as this coming back in originals or reruns.

uncamark

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'196529\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 03:01 PM\']
Don't forget NBC has their claws gripped on Woolery Scrabble also. That has about much as much of a chance(slim to none) of coming to fruition as this coming back in originals or reruns.
[/quote]

NBC has nothing to do with that.  Fremantle owns the format and the backlog of episodes--and Hasbro owns the trademarks that would also keep the show off the air, either first-run or in repeats.

I still wonder if anyone at Fremantle has tried to revise the format so that it wouldn't need the Hasbro-owned Scrabble game board design.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'196577\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 06:39 PM\']I still wonder if anyone at Fremantle has tried to revise the format so that it wouldn't need the Hasbro-owned Scrabble game board design.[/quote]
Actually, sorta the opposite happened.  GSN made at least two pilots of a Scrabble game show that would have been much more like the board game than the Reg Grundy show was.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'196577\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 05:39 PM\']I still wonder if anyone at Fremantle has tried to revise the format so that it wouldn't need the Hasbro-owned Scrabble game board design.[/quote]Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that was one of the big selling points of the show--using a well-known name.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Fedya

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'195129\' date=\'Aug 25 2008, 01:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'195126\' date=\'Aug 25 2008, 01:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'195125\' date=\'Aug 25 2008, 01:37 PM\']
This reminds me a lot of the excitement when they discovered a whole bunch of classic Hollywood Squares episodes. We were all SO thrilled that GSN was going to air them[/quote]
Wish I'd thought of that.[/quote]
Jeepers, sorry about that Don.  I'm not exactly sure how I missed your comment, I'm usually pretty good about such things.
[/quote]
QFT: Matt Ottinger isn't perfect.  :-p

Seriously, though, wouldn't the 50s/60s episodes fit right in on Black and White Overnight?  (Or do GSN no longer do that?  I don't pay enough attention to the GSN schedule.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

JackSpader

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'196577\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 04:39 PM\']
NBC has nothing to do with that.  Fremantle owns the format and the backlog of episodes--and Hasbro owns the trademarks that would also keep the show off the air, either first-run or in repeats.

I still wonder if anyone at Fremantle has tried to revise the format so that it wouldn't need the Hasbro-owned Scrabble game board design.
[/quote]

Since Scrabble had been on the air for 6 years in the 80's I think that you would have to completely revise the show, probably to just a nine letter board.  I guess the only thought I have for the show's title would be "Alphabust" or something.

mmb5

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'196662\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 11:09 PM\']
Actually, sorta the opposite happened.  GSN made at least two pilots of a Scrabble game show that would have been much more like the board game than the Reg Grundy show was.
[/quote]
And as someone who can now at least play decent competitive Scrabble, I can tell you that watching contestants play 'FE', 'AA' or other obscure two letter hooks for rack enhancement would not make compelling television for a non Scrabble-phile.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

sshuffield70

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'196577\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 06:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'196529\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 03:01 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Misread the comment.  Sorry.  Mine was about "Concentration" not "Scrabble".

Neumms

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »
[quote name=\'JackSpader\' post=\'196673\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 11:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'196577\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 04:39 PM\']
[/quote]

Since Scrabble had been on the air for 6 years in the 80's I think that you would have to completely revise the show, probably to just a nine letter board.  I guess the only thought I have for the show's title would be "Alphabust" or something.
[/quote]

It wouldn't be that hard to remove the Scrabble elements. After all, while it's the game we'd played all our lives, we'd never played it quite like this.

Call it "Moneywords" or "War of Words" or something. I'd love to see them play the Non-Scrabble Sprint with chess clocks (which would require different words for each opponent, which makes better TV anyway).

davemackey

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'196713\' date=\'Sep 9 2008, 01:11 PM\']
Call it "Moneywords" or "War of Words" or something. I'd love to see them play the Non-Scrabble Sprint with chess clocks (which would require different words for each opponent, which makes better TV anyway).
[/quote]
Or "Scrabulous"....

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'196670\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 08:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'196577\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 05:39 PM\']I still wonder if anyone at Fremantle has tried to revise the format so that it wouldn't need the Hasbro-owned Scrabble game board design.[/quote]Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that was one of the big selling points of the show--using a well-known name.
[/quote]
It was a selling point to NBC and gave the show some name recognition, but TV Scrabble turned out to be one of four versions of Hangman on the air at the same time (the other three being WOF, $1 Million COAL, and Headline Chasers).