Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2 "TPIR" Questions  (Read 8279 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'203512\' date=\'Dec 12 2008, 12:22 PM\']
Unless I'm missing something (which is likely since I didn't see the episode), I think Steve was directly referencing Bobby's assertion that they changed the One Away game because of Drew's bum foot.[/quote]
But, God help me, I'm pointing out that Bobby might not be wrong. If they temporarily rejiggered the game so that Drew a) didn't have to move around on-camera any more than necessary, and b) didn't have to be on his feet any more than necessary, I can see them doing what people are reporting (I didn't see the show either) to accomplish that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheLastResort

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »
Models have been helping Drew on several games the last few shows - Spelling Bee, Bulls-Eye, and Dice Game to name three.  It has to be because of his foot.

CarShark

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'203516\' date=\'Dec 12 2008, 05:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'203515\' date=\'Dec 12 2008, 04:10 PM\']What's the running time sans commercials these days[/quote]Full episodes online run about 38-39 minutes. I can examine the first hour long show on my TPIR DVD really quickly for you.
EDIT: The 9/9/75 episode runs about 44-45 minutes.
[/quote]So they're still trying to cram in six IUFBs, six Pricing Games, two Showdowns, two Showcases and The Big Finish into a space six minutes smaller than the one they had when the format was first envisioned? Does anyone else see somethings screwy with that?

urbanpreppie05

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »
...which is why I'm all for altering certain practices/traditions of games to speed things up.
insert signature here

tvwxman

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'203558\' date=\'Dec 13 2008, 11:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'203516\' date=\'Dec 12 2008, 05:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'203515\' date=\'Dec 12 2008, 04:10 PM\']What's the running time sans commercials these days[/quote]Full episodes online run about 38-39 minutes. I can examine the first hour long show on my TPIR DVD really quickly for you.
EDIT: The 9/9/75 episode runs about 44-45 minutes.
[/quote]So they're still trying to cram in six IUFBs, six Pricing Games, two Showdowns, two Showcases and The Big Finish into a space six minutes smaller than the one they had when the format was first envisioned? Does anyone else see somethings screwy with that?
[/quote]
Yes, but to be fair, back then , there was a LOT of padding. Barker killed time at the start of the show, often befor IUFBs, and how often did he bring the girls out to talk?

I know that in the last years he seemed a helluva more robotic in his repetitive delivery....having 6 minutes less of padding will do that to you!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'203524\' date=\'Dec 12 2008, 06:37 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'203512\' date=\'Dec 12 2008, 12:22 PM\']Unless I'm missing something (which is likely since I didn't see the episode), I think Steve was directly referencing Bobby's assertion that they changed the One Away game because of Drew's bum foot.[/quote]But, God help me, I'm pointing out that Bobby might not be wrong. If they temporarily rejiggered the game so that Drew a) didn't have to move around on-camera any more than necessary, and b) didn't have to be on his feet any more than necessary, I can see them doing what people are reporting (I didn't see the show either) to accomplish that.[/quote]
I was talking specifically about the whole "Ladies, do I have at least one number right?" routine -- but I think I can see the point about being able to get back off of his feet more quickly.  I forget if it's been mentioned in this thread, but I guess the commercial stopdowns during these tapings were significantly longer than usual, so that seems to make sense.

CarShark

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 12:06:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'203573\' date=\'Dec 13 2008, 02:37 PM\']Yes, but to be fair, back then , there was a LOT of padding. Barker killed time at the start of the show, often before IUFBs, and how often did he bring the girls out to talk?

I know that in the last years he seemed a helluva more robotic in his repetitive delivery....having 6 minutes less of padding will do that to you!
[/quote]But some of the funniest moments of the show sprung from the padding. Hayloft Ethel and Angelo from tpir.tv, for example. We don't see that anymore because once you land in the Row, they can't show you the next IUFB fast enough. And once you're on stage, they can't show you the prizes fast enough. Before, I put some of the blame on Barker being in his twilight years and not interacting as well as he used to, but Drew's even worse this season. You really get the feeling that he doesn't care about who you are, where you're from or what you do. He just wants you to win a car.

Don Howard

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'203699\' date=\'Dec 16 2008, 12:06 PM\']
Drew's even worse this season. You really get the feeling that he doesn't care about who you are, where you're from or what you do.[/quote]
The feeling I get (based on nothing other than a hunch) is that Drew was told to keep the show moving and cut the other interaction to the bone. And that could be a bit why his demeanor may be suffering. He might not want to treat the contestants like cattle.

ADDED AFTER SEEING THE FINISH OF THE 12.16.08 EPISODE: I'm takin' it back. If you don't want to go Bert Parks over-the-top, I can understand it, but he seemed to be channeling the citizens of the planet Vulcan. My stars, man, look what just happened under your watch and your reaction is that it's just another day at the office? Stuff and nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:30:05 PM by Don Howard »

CarShark

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
Now that the OP's questions have been answered, I have a couple more of my own:

1) We know that TPIR's ratings have been slipping lately. But I think one cause hasn't been fully explored. The View is frequently promoted on ABC affiliate, but outside of an MDS or primetime special, I can't remember the last time I've seen a commercial for the show. When's the last time CBS really pushed Price on the air? I don't know if it's something they're used to not doing with Barker at the helm, but I would think they would start pulling things out of their hat to keep it on top.

2) I know that Score, OGM and Killer Tracks have done music for the show, but has anybody else?

TimK2003

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'203777\' date=\'Dec 16 2008, 07:46 PM\']
Now that the OP's questions have been answered, I have a couple more of my own:

1) We know that TPIR's ratings have been slipping lately. But I think one cause hasn't been fully explored. The View is frequently promoted on ABC affiliate, but outside of an MDS or primetime special, I can't remember the last time I've seen a commercial for the show. When's the last time CBS really pushed Price on the air? [/quote]

With the exception of the Chenbot Morning Show, you can put the name of any other CBS Daytime offering in the sentence, "When's the last time CBS really pushed ______ on the air?"

Daytime Shows are pushed during daytime, Major Sports events are pushed during Primetime, and Primetime Programming is pushed....well, everywhere!  Last time I checked, that seems to be the norm across all the networks. It's all about the dominant demographics at the time.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:34:47 PM by TimK2003 »

BrandonFG

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'203818\' date=\'Dec 16 2008, 09:34 PM\']
With the exception of the Chenbot Morning Show, you can put the name of any other CBS Daytime offering in the sentence, "When's the last time CBS really pushed ______ on the air?"
[/quote]
I disagree; they pimp the hell out of their daytime soaps. How hard would it be to get a few more Price promos in, esp. with a new host.

They even have some sweet custom bumpers for their soaps.

/Made me think I was watching an early-80s sitcom with the stop-motion. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MYosua

2 "TPIR" Questions
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'203777\' date=\'Dec 16 2008, 06:46 PM\']
2) I know that Score, OGM and Killer Tracks have done music for the show, but has anybody else?
[/quote]
   I wouldn't say OGM and Killer Tracks have "done" music for the show, as their music (as far as I know) was not composed especially for TPiR.
   As far as music composed specifically for the show, Michael Karp composed music that was introduced in 2003 - the Million Dollar Spectacular opening/consolation music was composed by him.  Edd Kalehoff wrote the music for the 1994 syndicated version as well as, of course, the original package by Score Productions.  He also made the 2007 arrangements of the Come on Down, Big Wheel, and theme music.  The show started using additional music of his in 2007, but the majority of those cues (if not all of them) were already written and recycled from other projects (the Tony Danza show and the "WCBS Grand" news theme among others).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:51:17 AM by MYosua »