Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat  (Read 10695 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'194728\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 07:08 AM\']
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'194706\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:20 AM\']the problem is that DirecTV is not legally allowed to carry the Canadian over-the-air channels as part of their "local-into-local" service.[/quote]

Yet they're allowed to carry channels such as XETV (which recently became a CW affiliate), a Mexican-licensed channel, for San Diego-area viewers.
[/quote]
Isn't the difference, though, that XETV actually serves San Diego, while CBET doesn't serve Detroit?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'194746\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 01:40 PM\']Isn't the difference, though, that XETV actually serves San Diego, while CBET doesn't serve Detroit?[/quote]
"Serves" is a meaningless term here.  XETV is a Mexican-licensed channel, just as CBET is a Canadian-licensed channel.  XETV may serve/cater/try-to-gain-viewers-from San Diego more aggressively than CBET tries to serve/cater/try-to-gain-viewers-from Detroit, but that's just between them and their advertisers.  It doesn't change the fundamental fact that both channels are based in countries outside the United States.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'194746\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 01:40 PM\']
Isn't the difference, though, that XETV actually serves San Diego, while CBET doesn't serve Detroit?
[/quote]
CBET technically serves Detroit, they just choose not to do it.  If they were privately owned now like they were before 1976, they would probably be more of a player in the market like some of the Windsor-based radio stations, which are Canadian in name only.  For example, the Detroit AM home for Michigan football is a Windsor-based station.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »
Points taken, Mike and Matt.  Thanks!
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

drmusic_99

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »
To answer a question from a ways back, CTV Saskatchewan has always run Wheel and Jeopardy at 5pm, even during the winter when they air at 6 on WDIV. (They wouldn't bump the 6 o'clock news to simsub these shows -- the newscast is still more lucrative.)

I haven't seen the fall program grid for either network, but I'd have to assume that in this market, CBC will leave the two shows at 5 and 5:30, as a lead-in for CBC News at Six, and hope for some kind of bump.

I don't think up until now they've made much of a difference in that respect, though -- people are pretty entrenched in their news-viewing ways in this market, and I don't think Global (then STV) got much of a bump for their nascent news operation when they had the rights to Wheel and J! in the late 80s and early 90s, and CTV news was so powerful then, that it wouldn't have made much difference when the shows switched over to CTV.

Argo

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »
A local independent station, NTV - Newfoundland's Superstation, has Jeopardy & Wheel at 5:00 ant 5:30 to lead in to their evening news at 6pm. They used to air TPIR at 7 pm following the news until about 10 years ago or so. I used to find it odd because I would watch TPIR at night, and times that i stayed home and watched the CBS episode the next day, it was a repeat of the previous nights on NTV. Found it strange they were one up on the CBS affiliate.

Also, btw NTV was a strong CTV affiliate (CJON-TV). It has been an independent for some time with some connections to CTV but I don't know how strong they are.

rugrats1

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 08:09:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'194793\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 11:35 PM\']
A local independent station, NTV - Newfoundland's Superstation, has Jeopardy & Wheel at 5:00 ant 5:30 to lead in to their evening news at 6pm.[/quote]

Didn't NTV air them in the middle of the night recently?

Also, btw NTV was a strong CTV affiliate (CJON-TV). It has been an independent for some time with some connections to CTV but I don't know how strong they are.
[/quote]

Of course, when you're one of only two TV stations on "The Rock" (excluding the French Radio-Canada repeater), you can be as strong as you want. Especially if you have "Captain Canada" and "Captain Newfoundland" at your side.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:10:38 AM by rugrats1 »

vtown7

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2008, 08:46:54 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'194807\' date=\'Aug 22 2008, 08:09 AM\']
A local independent station, NTV - Newfoundland's Superstation, has Jeopardy & Wheel at 5:00 ant 5:30 to lead in to their evening news at 6pm.[/quote]

Didn't NTV air them in the middle of the night recently?
[/quote]

Yes - they have moved them to the middle of the night - and started promoting the heck out of Syndie Deal.

And they pretty much can cherry pick what they want from the US schedule - their schedule is a mishmash of everything Global, Rogers/City, and CTV.

Ryan :)

/who apparently has to start supporting CTV, as rumour has it that the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan has bought/is going to buy Bell.

drmusic_99

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »
Bell no longer owns CTV... the Thomson family has majority control now.

NTV is basically a Global affiliate these days that happens to air CTV National News (and the local NTV news uses the CTV graphics package.) The story is they're afraid to upset that balance for fear Global, CTV, or both will start a repeater in the province and run them out of business.

Anyway, back on topic, it looks like CBC in Saskatchewan will have Wheel at 5:30, based on a promo I just saw. I find it odd that they would split up the two shows.

I wonder if CTV will try to pick up a game show to replace it. Last time it lost Wheel (to Global), CKCK Regina aired The Challengers up against it.

EDIT: More accurately, Challengers aired at 5:30, up against Jeopardy on STV (Global).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:30:19 PM by drmusic_99 »