Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...  (Read 14600 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
[quote name=\'cyberjoek\' post=\'217152\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 02:06 PM\']I've never had a lag issue with voice or video on Live.  Talked to a couple of friends who had similar issues -- it seemed to be directly related to how late into the session you joined.[/quote]
Interesting. We'll see what happens on Saturday, I guess. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jumpondees

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217130\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 03:47 AM\'][quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'217128\' date=\'Jun 1 2009, 11:00 PM\']I managed to get in tonight too....I was in for the entire session, and I too got into "The Mob" for a game.  I think I bombed out thinking too much the question about what body part can be spelled with the letters on the XBOX Controller.[/quote]
It didn't even ask that, it asked what body part was printed on the controller, period, no anagrams. I looked down. Not all that many words on an Xbox pad. :)

[/quote]

Okay, you got me...I was having too much fun playing, I didn't remember the exact wording of the question...I remembered "body part" and "XBOX Controller", but at least you knew on what question I bombed out on. :-)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »
More dates have been added beyond Saturday night.  The full schedule can be found here.  The highlights, at least for the short term:  Games every night from Saturday through Wednesday the 10th (the furthest the schedule goes thus far), and the games start at Eastern Time Zone-friendlier times.  As much as I enjoyed 1 vs. 100 on Monday night, I enjoy being asleep before 11 PM even more.

jmenjes

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 11:33:31 PM »
Here's a post on the Xbox.com 1 vs. 100 forums, and it lists game dates through June 28.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids.  Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2009, 11:11:55 PM »
Night 2 is done.  I stuck around for all but the last 20 minutes of the 2nd round of E3-centric Extended Play.  Everything went smoothly with over 100,000 people playing at times.  One potential issue involved some of the breaks with the live host Chris.  I got sound during those breaks about half the time.  Did Chris miss his cue multiple times?  I doubt it was a technical issue...

There were two great trick questions--"What is the 24th letter of the alphabet?"  (X, of course.  However, the answer X was associated with the A button, not the X button.  Around 20% of the mob got knocked out.) and paraphrasing, "Which of the following is impossible to send through a phone line via a fax machine--fax paper, pictures, or text?"  55 out of the 100 mob members were stumped.

clemon79

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2009, 01:31:28 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'217371\' date=\'Jun 6 2009, 08:11 PM\']One potential issue involved some of the breaks with the live host Chris.  I got sound during those breaks about half the time.  Did Chris miss his cue multiple times?  I doubt it was a technical issue...[/quote]
I actually think it was very much a technical issue, or else he would have talked. His job is to do one thing and one thing only: talk during breaks. (I also noticed I was having problems with voicecomm within my group, too, but I don't know if that was because Travis was riding shotgun with me as a guest tonight.
There were two great trick questions--"What is the 24th letter of the alphabet?"  (X, of course.  However, the answer X was associated with the A button, not the X button.
Was THAT supposed to be the trick? Me and Travis just looked at each other and said "um, why did they even ask that?"

The baby Jesus wept during Extended Play when they asked what the first video game system was, and roughly 70,000 of the 94,000 people playing missed it.

Did you try the Big Button Pad?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 10:40:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217382\' date=\'Jun 7 2009, 01:31 AM\']
There were two great trick questions--"What is the 24th letter of the alphabet?"  (X, of course.  However, the answer X was associated with the A button, not the X button.
Was THAT supposed to be the trick? Me and Travis just looked at each other and said "um, why did they even ask that?"[/quote]
Yes, that was the trick.  I give them credit for doing that.  The fax machine question, OTOH, was brilliant.  I had to reread the answers twice before the obvious answer came to me.

The baby Jesus wept during Extended Play when they asked what the first video game system was, and roughly 70,000 of the 94,000 people playing missed it.
If it makes you feel any better, I got it.  Remember that we're probably some of the older people who played 1 vs. 100 last night.  Most players were probably born after Collecovision (sic) was released.

Did you try the Big Button Pad?
It didn't cross my mind.  I'll give it a try tonight.

Speedy G

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 11:25:44 AM »
I have to admit I blew the first video game system question, but my first console was a Nintendo obtained when I was 4.  My knowledge of video game history goes something like: Pong, uh... gap where Atari's and Coleco's go... then Nintendo.

My impression was that Chris simply wasn't talking every break, rather than any technical problems.  When he did talk, he was so clear that I wondered if some of his stuff was pre-recorded.

The game ran like a champ; I got disconnected once early on, but it was smooth sailing after that.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

clemon79

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'217390\' date=\'Jun 7 2009, 07:40 AM\']If it makes you feel any better, I got it.  Remember that we're probably some of the older people who played 1 vs. 100 last night.[/quote]
I realize that, but....
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'217395\' date=\'Jun 7 2009, 08:25 AM\']I have to admit I blew the first video game system question, but my first console was a Nintendo obtained when I was 4.  My knowledge of video game history goes something like: Pong, uh... gap where Atari's and Coleco's go... then Nintendo.[/quote]
...with respect to Speedy, I have seen many people say "The first system I played was Nintendo, so they HAD to be the first", and that ignorance and hubris just kills me.

/but then, the ignorance and hubris of many Nintendo fans generally kills me
//got homebrew working on my Wii again last night!

jmenjes

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »
For the curious, I found this post over at the 1 vs. 100 forums.  It explains how The One and The Mob get selected.

"Straight from our design team:

Role determination is based on weekly stats for speed, accuracy, and the number of questions answered. These stats are reset weekly to increase the opportunities for anyone to be a part of the Mob or to be the One. Please note that score is not considered in role determination.

To increase your chances of being chosen as a member of the Mob or as the One, play often and to the best of your ability. Good Luck!"

It was mentioned a couple of times lat night that the Extended Play games can be a help for getting into The Mob or being The One
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:40:01 PM by jmenjes »
"You're dead if you aim only for kids.  Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney

clemon79

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 04:45:41 PM »
[quote name=\'jmenjes\' post=\'217525\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 01:39 PM\']It was mentioned a couple of times lat night that the Extended Play games can be a help for getting into The Mob or being The One[/quote]
Makes sense. On Saturday's beta, I was Mob-ified for the very first game, probably because I'd played the whole session on Monday night and did very well.

jmenjes

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
Finally getting myself caught up:  if you find a friend request waiting for you from Q Continuum, that's me.

Interesting night last night.  Another Xbox controller question nailed over half of the Mob in one shot (How many numbers are on the face of the Xbox 360 controller?).  A One towards the end of the night flamed out on the first question.  And five different Ones decided to quit and take the "money".  Though it was mentioned quite a few times that there would be no MS Points or arcade games being given away, five poor souls didn't get the message.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
[quote name=\'jmenjes\' post=\'218007\' date=\'Jun 13 2009, 07:09 PM\']Finally getting myself caught up:  if you find a friend request waiting for you from Q Continuum, that's me.[/quote]
That answers the question I posed to you via XBox's messaging.

To answer a query from Mr. Lemon last week, I tried the big button controller tonight.  Since the buttons can't be remapped, the first choice (X button) is 3rd on the controller, the middle answer (A) is the top button, and the last answer (B) is the 2nd button.  It is confusing and much easier to play with the standard 360 controller.

clemon79

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2009, 02:01:26 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'218014\' date=\'Jun 13 2009, 07:01 PM\']To answer a query from Mr. Lemon last week, I tried the big button controller tonight.  Since the buttons can't be remapped, the first choice (X button) is 3rd on the controller, the middle answer (A) is the top button, and the last answer (B) is the 2nd button.  It is confusing and much easier to play with the standard 360 controller.[/quote]
I'm surprised. It should know if a given player is using a BBC or a regular gamepad, I would think, and present options accordingly.

(But at the same time, what if you're using a mix? So I guess I see why they did it how they did.)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218029\' date=\'Jun 14 2009, 02:01 AM\'](But at the same time, what if you're using a mix? So I guess I see why they did it how they did.)[/quote]
I tried using the BBC and the gamepad at the same time.  It won't work.  I had to sign out of one controller in order to use the other.