Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...  (Read 14614 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' post=\'190943\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 03:58 PM\']I can't see Microsoft offering anything else other than an extension to a user's gold subscription. So you could have the top prize as a ten year subscription extension to Xbox Live Gold which is worth about £400 in retail shops here. I suspect the points system will be more likely though and $1 Million could easily become 100,000 MS Points.[/quote]
That seems a little unwieldy, especially if there's going to be more than one game going on at once.  I could easily see this work in a regular tournament format where the top winner(s) receive something like 1,000 Points, which is still pretty good.
This signature is currently under construction.

tpirfan28

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 07:51:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190908\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 02:17 AM\']
Never happen. I mean, never, EVER happen. Neverminding that a) this is a Microsoft thing designed for Microsoft's own service and b) the Wii doesn't do voice chat at all, Nintendo's got too much of a hard-on about keeping their online community insular. You have to put in at least two codes per person to play Brawl with someone not-random. There is NO WAY that Nintendo would ever let 101 complete strangers actually interact in a free manner with each other. Maybe in a console down the road, if their philosophy changes a LOT, but not on a Wii.
[/quote]
QFT.  I love my Wii, but the online play is nothing short of an a**ache.  Mario Kart is even a pain when random.

Boy.  Microsoft's little XBox online jobby there is nice.  And stuff seems reasonably priced, too.

/again, coming from a Wii owner.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' post=\'190943\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 12:58 PM\']
I can't see Microsoft offering anything else other than an extension to a user's gold subscription.[/quote]
I don't understand why you think that. Or are you saying that this is the only thing they could offer ASIDE FROM points?

(Even then, trust me, they could get other prizes.)
The only way I can see the online experience work is to keep the format whatever that is (players eliminated or money tree) but when somebody decides to walk or lose then the next person can be selected from the remaining players from that game. Basically, do the same contestant selection for the 1 we have here.
I suspect that is exactly what will happen. Your reward for surviving in the Mob will be the opportunity to be selected for the next game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190966\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 08:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'TravisP\' post=\'190943\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 12:58 PM\']
I can't see Microsoft offering anything else other than an extension to a user's gold subscription.[/quote]
I don't understand why you think that. Or are you saying that this is the only thing they could offer ASIDE FROM points?

(Even then, trust me, they could get other prizes.)
[/quote]
The winner receives MS Points; the runner up receives a copy of Microsoft Bob.

(And of course, third place gets two copies of Microsoft Bob....)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190929\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 11:37 AM\']

/The one game show Endemol produced competently
I would not go that far. We've had plenty of complaints about this format from the get-go, most of them involving concepts like "wayyyyyyyyy too slow" and "the One is encouraged to bolt early."

Is it a format that could work over LIVE? Hells yes. But it wasn't necessarily a perfect TV show.
[/quote]

It could be a win/win scenario...If MS has problems executing the live gameplay (slow runtimes, crashes, etc) and one game takes  forever to play, then they can bill the game as...

"Gameplay so real, you'll feel like you're on the actual show!"

:-P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:05:44 PM by TimK2003 »

Setsunael

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:20:47 AM by Setsunael »

Hastin

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »
So, just to summerize what the articles said:

There will be LIVE games both Friday and Saturday night. There will also be nightly games - but these are for contest entries, and mob seats for the weekend games.

All Live Gold members can play for free, and if you want to bring guests along (other players on the same couch), you can (but they can't win prizes). So you can play to see who wins at home (or in a LIVE Party online).

Joystiq says that the pot will be 10,000 Microsoft Points ($125) - so it seems that even if you knock out a few mob members, you'll end up with enough for some DLC or Games.

Seems neat, and I can't wait for it!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:27:47 AM by Hastin »
-Hastin :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »
A beta version of 1 vs. 100 is officially "coming soon", based on what I saw on my XBox 360 dashboard a few minutes ago.  Meanwhile, Canadian XBox Live Gold subscribers have had a few chances to beta test 1 vs. 100 over the last week.  A trailer is available through XBox Live or at XBox 360's official 1 vs. 100 site.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
And another bump...

Beta playings of 1 vs. 100 for the US and Canada will start this Monday, June 1.  Source:  http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/1vs100/

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'216909\' date=\'May 29 2009, 02:35 PM\']And another bump...

Beta playings of 1 vs. 100 for the US and Canada will start this Monday, June 1.  Source:  http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/1vs100/[/quote]
To help (because it was on Xbox LIVE when I logged in today): the first beta game is Monday night at 7:30P PDT.

Hopefully they have the good sense to flip the switch on the Primetime channel in enough time for all and sundry to have it when it happens.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'190980\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 09:40 PM\'](And of course, third place gets two copies of Microsoft Bob....)[/quote]

Pardon the confusion...but what is Microsoft Bob? The same as Sam, or different?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:59:09 PM »
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 12:50:48 AM »
Alright, so I just got done playing in the first US beta. I'm kinda brain-dumping here, so bear with me.

It was fun! The questions were mostly pretty straight trivia, although there were one or two written in the swervy way the questions on the actual show were. (I expected the straight trivia, actually.) Buncha pop-culture, buncha RECENT pop-culture.

When you join, you are assigned one of three roles: the One, the Mob, or the Crowd. Likely, early on, you will get Crowd, as the former two are picked based on how people have done in the past. I made it into the Mob for the third game of the night, most likely based on the fact that I had answered all 20 questions or so to that point correctly. (And I flamed out about six questions into my game when a stumper finally came up.)

In all cases, you are assigned a few other people to play with...in my group was a dude from Michigan and a very nice 13-year-old, and a woman who didn't talk a lot.

Grand Prize for the One appears to be 10,000 Microsoft points, retail value $125. Mob members who were alive if the One lost won stuff depending on how long the One lasted; I think the biggest prize the Mob "won" (this was a beta and prizes weren't actually given out) was an Xbox LIVE arcade download, which would be worth around $10. One person did actually go the distance, but then I remind you there was nothing to play for and they might have dove earlier had their been. In another case, it got down to 1 vs. 1, and they BOTH flamed out on the last question. (Which I got right. Hah!)

Aside from the One/100 game, you are awarded game points (just score, NOT MS points) by:

* answering quickly (a maximum of 200 bonus points)
* being correct
* streaks
* Mob members knocked out on your correct answers, with the value going up based on how many have already fallen...starts at 10 points and went as high as 300, I believe.

(I don't remember how much right answers and streaks paid. Suffice to say that the speed bonuses make the numbers weird and you rarely have a score ending in 0.)

The One has three helps: I think I saw Trust The Mob, Trust The Crowd (both of those are exactly what you would expect), and Trust The Brain. (The "Brain" is the single player whose score is highest to that point.)

Stats and leaderboards are available, tracking many many stats (percentage of right answers for the session and the current game, number of mob members knocked out lifetime, lifetime score, game score, etc.), and at intervals they take time out for stat checks and commercials and host Chris Cashman will comment on how people are doing and such.

(That said, Cashman doesn't *really* host, he has more of the Dennis-Miller-on-Grand-Slam gig of talking in between rounds and games and such, and the actual game is run by "Jen", who is computerized.)

You can make your avatar cheer by drilling the Y button, and you can change cheering forms while cheering with the D-pad. I was jumping around between raising the roof and the Cabbage Patch.

Anyhow, totally fun, and while I don't know if I'd pass up actual human interaction to play it, I would definitely make a point of playing again if I happened to be home on a Saturday night.

Like I said, brain dump. If you want to know anything that I didn't cover, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:53:15 AM by clemon79 »

jmenjes

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 01:12:40 AM »
Congrats for getting into the Mob.  I was in the Crowd all night.  

That was quite a lot of fun tonight.  The Beta ran quite smoothly even with 50,000 people playing.

You can send out invites to your friends if you wish, so you're not necessarily assigned to playing with random people.  I was in early, so I sent out invites to some of the folks on the TiVo boards.  Our group was together all night.

And it really wasn't a trick question, but it was something to see how many people missed the freezing point of water question towards the end of the show tonight.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:14:54 AM by jmenjes »
"You're dead if you aim only for kids.  Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney

JerrysFeudinAgain

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 01:14:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217119\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 12:50 AM\']Alright, so I just got done playing in the first US beta. I'm kinda brain-dumping here, so bear with me.

It was fun! The questions were mostly pretty straight trivia, although there were one or two written in the swervy way the questions on the actual show were. (I expected the straight trivia, actually.) Buncha pop-culture, buncha RECENT pop-culture.

When you join, you are assigned one of three roles: the One, the Mob, or the Crowd. Likely, early on, you will get Crowd, as the former two are picked based on how people have done in the past. I made it into the Mob for the third game of the night, most likely based on the fact that I had answered all 20 questions or so to that point correctly. (And I flamed out about six questions into my game when a stumper finally came up.)

In all cases, you are assigned a few other people to play with...in my group was a dude from Michigan and a very nice 13-year-old, and a woman who didn't talk a lot.

Grand Prize for the One appears to be 10,000 Microsoft points, retail value $125. Mob members who were alive if the One lost won stuff depending on how long the One lasted; I think the biggest prize the Mob "won" (this was a beta and prizes weren't actually given out) was an Xbox LIVE arcade download, which would be worth around $10. One person did actually go the distance, but then I remind you there was nothing to play for and they might have dove earlier had their been. In another case, it got down to 1 vs. 1, and they BOTH flamed out on the last question. (Which I got right. Hah!)

Aside from the One/100 game, you are awarded game points (just score, NOT MS points) by:

* answering quickly (a maximum of 200 bonus points)
* being correct
* streaks
* Mob members knocked out on your correct answers, with the value going up based on how many have already fallen...starts at 10 points and went as high as 300, I believe.

(I don't remember how much right answers and streaks paid. Suffice to say that the speed bonuses make the numbers weird and you rarely have a score ending in 0.)

The One has three helps: I think I saw Trust The Mob, Trust The Crowd (both of those are exactly what you would expect), and Trust The Brain. (The "Brain" is the single player whose score is highest to that point.)

Stats and leaderboards are available, tracking many many stats (percentage of right answers for the session and the current game, number of mob members knocked out lifetime, lifetime score, game score, etc.), and at intervals they take time out for stat checks and commercials and host Chris Cashman will comment on how people are doing and such.

(That said, Cashman doesn't *really* host, he has more of the Dennis-Miller-on-Grand-Slam gig of talking in between rounds and games and such, and the actual game is run by "Jen", who is computerized.)

You can make your avatar cheer by drilling the Y button, and you can change cheering forms while cheering with the D-pad. I was jumping around between raising the roof and the Cabbage Patch.

Anyhow, totally fun, and while I don't know if I'd pass up actual human interaction to play it, I would definitely make a point of playing again if I happened to be home on a Saturday night.

Like I said, brain dump. If you want to know anything that I didn't cover, feel free to ask.[/quote]

How the hell you got in? I gave up after 40 minutes. I read on the xbox boards that around 50,000 people were trying to play. Hopefully Mircosoft will fix this when the main game comes out.