Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will TPIR Be On the Air 10 Years From Now?  (Read 5462 times)

Jimmy Owen

Will TPIR Be On the Air 10 Years From Now?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 08:03:54 PM »
I think the available audience at 11am may be more interested in talk/service programming (View, Today, etc.)  CBS may be better off moving Katie Couric to a late morning show and move TPIR to a once or twice weekly prime time slot.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' post=\'189925\' date=\'Jul 6 2008, 06:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'189888\' date=\'Jul 6 2008, 03:18 PM\']Even if there are no major changes (which is certainly plausible), it's hard for me to fathom the show has 10 more years of shelf life in it.  I have no evidence as to why--but it's just a feeling.[/quote]
Just curious... how did you feel when the show was in Season 25? Did you think it had 10 more years of life then?
[/quote]
To be honest, didn't think about it.  

Times were different then--there are a lot more choices available to us now.  The odds of any series being on past 40 years are slim at best (although that being said, there are quite a number currently on [many in the news, soaps or sports genre]).  Not everything lasts forever.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »
The networks will be around in 10 years, no doubt about it. 30 years ago people used to say that cable was going to put the networks out of business. Remember CBS Cable? Today all of the networks are in business with movie studios, so they will continue to be program suppliers. 10 years from now there will still be soap operas and talk/service shows in daytime, but TPIR??? I'm inclined to think that no amount of tweaking by Fremantle will recapture the show's former audience/ratings, so I'm not optimistic about the future of the show.

10 years from now Stan will be 62 and thinking about retirement ;-)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »
I voted yes with the idea, not meant to be a joke, that it will probably be revived in another form 2-3 years after it's cancelled, whenever that may be. Card Sharks and Match Game bombed, to be sure, but Family Feud is still scuttling along.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »
This is purely instinct based on absolutely zero tangible evidence, but I'm one of those who voted YES.
YES it'll still be on and YES it will have just completed its 46th continuous season.
I'm skeptical about whether Drew Carey will still be hosting then (I am hoping so--that Cleveland bias is kicking in again) but I believe Rich Fields will still be there {possibly as the host with Burton Richardson announcing} and the theme music will be the same as now.
Now, if I'm right, will The Price Is Right still be a Fremantle Media Production one decade hence?
Further, I think WOF and J! will still be on the air at mid-2018 as well.
It'll be interesting to revisit this thread in ten years' time to see if I or any of you are able to correctly call it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:01:19 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190378\' date=\'Jul 9 2008, 08:55 AM\']
I believe Rich Fields will still be there {possibly as the host with Burton Richardson announcing}[/quote]
Why, sir, do you hate America? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190398\' date=\'Jul 9 2008, 02:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'190378\' date=\'Jul 9 2008, 08:55 AM\']
I believe Rich Fields will still be there {possibly as the host with Burton Richardson announcing}[/quote]
Why, sir, do you hate America? :)
[/quote]
Where else is he going to go? He sure as shootin' ain't gonna quit.

Neumms

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'189935\' date=\'Jul 6 2008, 08:09 PM\']
The networks will be around in 10 years, no doubt about it. 30 years ago people used to say that cable was going to put the networks out of business. Remember CBS Cable? Today all of the networks are in business with movie studios, so they will continue to be program suppliers. 10 years from now there will still be soap operas and talk/service shows in daytime, but TPIR??? I'm inclined to think that no amount of tweaking by Fremantle will recapture the show's former audience/ratings, so I'm not optimistic about the future of the show.
[/quote]

A friend saw this on "Days of our Lives": two characters are chatting, one mentions she has a headache because it's that time of the month, and the other holds up a box of Midol or Pamprin and starts rattling off product benefits. This is during the supposed "show."

I'm not sure if this means soaps are in trouble or if they've ensured their survival. But since TPIR is basically one hour of product placement, I'd think they'll figure out a way to make it keep working.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'190419\' date=\'Jul 9 2008, 04:40 PM\']
A friend saw this on "Days of our Lives": two characters are chatting, one mentions she has a headache because it's that time of the month, and the other holds up a box of Midol or Pamprin and starts rattling off product benefits. This is during the supposed "show."

I'm not sure if this means soaps are in trouble or if they've ensured their survival. But since TPIR is basically one hour of product placement, I'd think they'll figure out a way to make it keep working.
[/quote]
Aren't the daytime soaps coming in under 40 minutes now? I wonder if the blatant usage is to maximize the airtime as much as possible?

Still, the best product shill I ever saw (and by best I mean worst) was from "The Sopranos", when Tony gave A.J. a Nissan Xterra...the same one that caught fire in the series finale. James Gandolfini mugged for the camera and plugged the car as if he were Rich Fields himself.

/Minus the added syllables in NEW TRUCK!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »
Sheewt*, now soap operas too? I know they're doing more product placement, and I can see having a bottle of product visible in the shot, but now they're doing mini commercials? Did the character then rattle off a price and ask if the right price was higher or lower? Oh, and more importantly, did the character utter those all-important words, "Use only as directed"? I want to know what happens if you O.D. on Midol. Maybe you don't have kids.

Of course merchandise game shows have been doing this for decades, and non-merchandise game shows might have a giant-size faux** bottle of Stopette on the front of the panel desk, or the Dreft logo on the front of a podium. Or the Oxydol logo.

http://www.dreft.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxydol

*Sheewt -- that's a new word.

**Faux -- that's a gay word.