Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: From Ottawa, here come the Senators!  (Read 2475 times)

GS Warehouse

From Ottawa, here come the Senators!
« on: October 11, 2003, 08:33:19 PM »
I'm watching the hockey game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Ottawa Senators, and just as they returned from commercial, I heard the theme from The Newlywed Game playing on the Corel Center sound system.  I know the MG and TPiR themes come up a lot on radio lately, but I don't get the correlation between hockey and Bob Eubanks. :-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 03:46:46 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 05:33 PM\'] I'm watching the hockey game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Ottawa Senators, and just as they returned from commercial, I heard the theme from The Newlywed Game playing on the Corel Center sound system.  I know the MG and TPiR themes come up a lot on radio lately, but I don't get the correlation between hockey and Bob Eubanks. :-) [/quote]
 Five to one odds someone proposed to a prospective wife at the game.  I've seen a similar gimmick at pretty much every level of professional hockey I've attended.

They also could have done a Newlywed-Game type gimmick during a play stoppage or intermission. The Sharks do a coupld of game show ripoffs, including TPiR and MG, they also do a bit called \"Higher Or Lower\", where they poll 100 Sharks fans with some Shark-centric question, one player makes a guess, and the other decides whether the actual result is Higher, or, alternately, Lower than the actual amount. Sound familiar? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 10:28:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 12 2003, 02:46 AM\'] Five to one odds someone proposed to a prospective wife at the game.  I've seen a similar gimmick at pretty much every level of professional hockey I've attended. [/quote]
 The minor league hockey team in my city has an annual Valentine's Day game.  On two of those games, there was a wedding at intermission.

ObGameShow: They didn't play the NG theme, though.

DrBear

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 11:00:33 AM »
Or they could be doing the \"kiss cam\" during a break - showing couples on the scoreboard and urging them to kiss. The inevitable \"big finish\" is when they show two guys, and hilarty ensues.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

JayC

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 12:58:02 PM »
they play the Final Jeopardy think music during a time out a Nets games, but otherwise, no GS stuff for the Devils or Nets :(

JayC

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 01:14:15 PM »
they play the Final Jeopardy think music during a time out a Nets games, but otherwise, no GS stuff for the Devils or Nets :(

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 11:49:49 AM »
When I went to a Mets-Yankees game at Shea 2 yrs ago, as filler between
innings, they had what they called "Mets Match Game", complete w/a spinning
square intro, similar logo, and authentic theme music/cues...basically, an
attendee was asked to fill in a blank phrase, a la the Head-to-Head Match,
and if she matched 2 of the 3 Mets seen in the pre-taped segments that
followed, she would win a T-shirt.

For the record, the phrase was "Subway ____", and she matched all 3 Mets and
won with "Subway Series", which is also what I would've said had I played. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

dmota104

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 01:19:33 PM »
They also could have done a Newlywed-Game type gimmick during a play stoppage or intermission. The Sharks do a coupld of game show ripoffs, including TPiR and MG, they also do a bit called "Higher Or Lower", where they poll 100 Sharks fans with some Shark-centric question, one player makes a guess, and the other decides whether the actual result is Higher, or, alternately, Lower than the actual amount. Sound familiar? :)

Sure does.  In fact, I can just imagine the open...

(CS78 opening theme)

Gene Wood: Some hockey players put biscuits in the basket.
While other players just simply blow a gasket...
onnnn San Jose' Sharks!

Rastaub

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 06:36:22 PM »
For a few years down in Philadelphia at 76ers games, every Valentines Day, 76 couples tied the knot, and the emcee was none other than Eubanks himself. Im pretty sure when he was introduced, they played the Newlywed Game Theme