Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows and Their Concurrent Runs  (Read 2209 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Game Shows and Their Concurrent Runs
« on: October 10, 2003, 12:51:26 AM »
Hello everyone!

It has been a while since I did this, but I do have a question for all of you.

I read a thread here recently about how contestants were placed in game shows that had concurrent network and syndicated runs (I believe it was a reference to The $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid). How are contestants chosen for shows with a format as unique as this (such as $ale of the Century, Wheel of Fortune, Family Feud, and Match Game, among others)? That thought has been lingering in my head for a while.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 08:19:25 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 11:51 PM\'] Hello everyone!

It has been a while since I did this, but I do have a question for all of you.

I read a thread here recently about how contestants were placed in game shows that had concurrent network and syndicated runs (I believe it was a reference to The $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid). How are contestants chosen for shows with a format as unique as this (such as $ale of the Century, Wheel of Fortune, Family Feud, and Match Game, among others)? That thought has been lingering in my head for a while.

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
 Seems to me it was whichever version had a contestant spot that was open that the contestant(or family in the case of Feud) got on. They couldn't specify whether they wanted to be on daytime or nighttime versions of a show and be guaranteed a spot on it.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 09:45:49 AM »
When I tried out for Sale of the Century there weren't separate tryouts for daytime and syndicated versions.  Everybody tried out together and survivors were placed into one or the other at the coordinators' discression, we had no say in the matter at all.

The coordinators strongly suggested to us in the \"syndicated\" group that we were the better and more desirable contestants.  That makes a little sense, since they would be more interested in their more lucrative syndicated series doing well.  Still, they might very well have been telling the \"daytime\" group the exact same thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 11:51:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 08:45 AM\'] When I tried out for Sale of the Century there weren't separate tryouts for daytime and syndicated versions.  Everybody tried out together and survivors were placed into one or the other at the coordinators' discression, we had no say in the matter at all.

The coordinators strongly suggested to us in the "syndicated" group that we were the better and more desirable contestants.  That makes a little sense, since they would be more interested in their more lucrative syndicated series doing well.  Still, they might very well have been telling the "daytime" group the exact same thing. [/quote]
 The part that I put in bold is what I wondered about.  I imagine that there would be just enough people who were good enough for syndie but only available on a network taping day so that the network run would still be good.  On the other hand, if I ran the network that has the daytime version of your show, I might not like that practice.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 11:52:55 AM »
I can only imagine trying out for Wheel Of Fortune in 1989,
passing all the tests and then finding out that instead of getting
on the nighttime version with big dollar spaces, that I'd be stuck
on the el-cheapo daytime program.
Or getting on The $25,000 Pyramid in 1986, making it to the top of
the pyramid in 33 seconds and not qualifying for a $100,000 tournament.
The $5000/$10000 fast money on Family Feud (1988-93) doesn't
seem too fair either.
That's my two cents {five cents on the nighttime version}.

pyrfan

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 02:29:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 11:51 PM\']I read a thread here recently about how contestants were placed in game shows that had concurrent network and syndicated runs (I believe it was a reference to The $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid). How are contestants chosen for shows with a format as unique as this (such as $ale of the Century, Wheel of Fortune, Family Feud, and Match Game, among others)? That thought has been lingering in my head for a while.
[/quote]
When I passed the audition for \"Pyramid\" in the summer of 1987, the letter I got said that I could be called for either the 25K or the 100K. Like \"Sale of the Century,\" there weren't separate auditions for each version.

Brendan

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 07:17:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 08:45 AM\'] When I tried out for Sale of the Century there weren't separate tryouts for daytime and syndicated versions.  Everybody tried out together and survivors were placed into one or the other at the coordinators' discression, we had no say in the matter at all.

The coordinators strongly suggested to us in the "syndicated" group that we were the better and more desirable contestants.  That makes a little sense, since they would be more interested in their more lucrative syndicated series doing well.  Still, they might very well have been telling the "daytime" group the exact same thing. [/quote]
 More desirable, yes.  I can't believe you bought that porch swing! :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13