Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Break The Bank 76 board  (Read 14011 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: Break The Bank 76 board
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 03:11:45 PM »
Close the closet door behind you, Allen.
Hah! Well that makes this exchange on Betty's hosted Password a bit more amusing after Allen tried to sit on the wrong side of the desk:

Allen: "I need to figure out what side I'm on."
Betty: "I know, we've had that trouble since for 4 years."

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2023, 03:29:15 PM »
Joyce DeWitt of Three's Company is another person that Allen had said was going to appear on Password Plus (he mentions it on the 2/5/79 episode with Betty White and Dick Martin but he doesn't mention if it's happening the very next week, just lists her along with other notables like Mary Tyler Moore and Elizabeth Montgomery as "friends who will be playing soon") who then seemingly last minute cancelled. Did you ever hear any reason for why that occurred, Chris? That name always stuck with me because she is someone that I have never seen do a game show before, and her and Charles are the only two celebrities I recall Allen mentioning would do the show that later didn't.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 03:41:45 PM by CarpetCrawler »
- CC Kirby

thomas_meighan

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 07:26:58 PM »
Re: Betty White, I don’t think any specific loyalty to “Password” stopped her from doing “Pyramid” in the 70s — on her first 1982 appearance, she said “I couldn’t quite schedule it” before.

Actually, she appeared on “You Don’t Say!” four times in 1966 and 1967 while “Password” was still airing, and she and Allen then appeared together the week of October 30. G-T were unhappy with that show’s format and (early on) visual similarities to “Password” — Variety’s June 12, 1963 profile of Ralph Andrews and Bill Yagemann said that YDS! “is a program which Goodson and Todman are known to feel is a carbon of their own ‘Password’” — and the desk on YDS! was reconfigured by early 1964. But yeah, regardless of how G-T might have felt about her appearing on YDS!, they couldn’t exactly ban her from “Password” if they wanted to keep Allen happy.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 10:49:24 PM »
I think Betty not appearing on Pyramid or any other Stewart show in the 70s would have been a simple case of not having the time to travel to New York for taping.    And once she started doing the MTM Show, she would have had even less time to travel across the country to do a NY based game show.   I don't believe she was ever a panelist on the syndicated WML or TTTT even though she had done both shows in their network runs.    Allen did do WML and TTTT in the 70s but he obviously had more free time on his hand to do that than Betty did with her acting obligations.

I think the CNR no-show on Password Plus was in 79, not in 80.    There was one time on the CBS Password when Allen plugged Peter O'Toole and his wife Sian Phillips as the guests for the following week's nighttime show but they ended up not appearing.

Neumms

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2023, 06:15:37 PM »
Access issues for my trilon stagehand image and video have been corrected. Sorry about that.

Thanks!

snowpeck

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't believe she was ever a panelist on the syndicated WML or TTTT even though she had done both shows in their network runs.    Allen did do WML and TTTT in the 70s but he obviously had more free time on his hand to do that than Betty did with her acting obligations.
Betty did both shows but not often. Buzzr recently ran a week of TTTT from 1974 with both Betty and Allen on the panel.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2023, 09:39:07 PM »
Don't know about Joyce DeWitt, sorry.