Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Break The Bank 76 board  (Read 14013 times)

Jim

Break The Bank 76 board
« on: October 09, 2003, 11:18:47 PM »
1.) Another BTB post reminded me of a question - how did those lips and moustaches get affixed to the boxes.  Was it electronic or was a person under the game board?  Those bottom rows seemed like a tight fit.
2.) Wasn't Mark Goodson a bit ticked off seeing people like Bob Barker and Bill Cullen on a competitor's game show?  Weren't these guys risking the goodwill of the hand which fed them?

Jimmy Owen

Break The Bank 76 board
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 12:44:29 AM »
I don't think Mark Goodson cared about that stuff, besides, Bill worked a lot for Bob Stewart around the same time and Bob Barker hosted TorC for Ralph Edwards concurrent with TPIR for a couple years, not to mention the beauty pageants.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

Break The Bank 76 board
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 11:25:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 11:44 PM\'] I don't think Mark Goodson cared about that stuff, besides, Bill worked a lot for Bob Stewart around the same time and Bob Barker hosted TorC for Ralph Edwards concurrent with TPIR for a couple years, not to mention the beauty pageants. [/quote]
 My suspicion is that, like networks whose stars appeared on competitors' shows, they were glad for the publicity they got for their own shows.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

uncamark

Break The Bank 76 board
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 11:48:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Jim\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 10:18 PM\']1.) Another BTB post reminded me of a question - how did those lips and moustaches get affixed to the boxes.  Was it electronic or was a person under the game board?  Those bottom rows seemed like a tight fit.[/quote]
It was undoubtedly a stage hand crawling underneath.

blaq

Re: Break The Bank 76 board
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 12:47:44 PM »
Episode 68 (Peter vs. Virginia day 1) has a great shot of a stagehand turning box 18 about 25 minutes into the show!

Photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u5kS64Hb--eotDBosubeufBWMQvA84zv/view?usp=drive_link
Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IkLLDKJY1N7JBhJw5thfe21wldfDdJhl/view?usp=drive_link

Neumms

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 04:54:36 PM »
Episode 68 (Peter vs. Virginia day 1) has a great shot of a stagehand turning box 18 about 25 minutes into the show!

Photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u5kS64Hb--eotDBosubeufBWMQvA84zv/view?usp=drive_link
Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IkLLDKJY1N7JBhJw5thfe21wldfDdJhl/view?usp=drive_link

Access denied.  :'(

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 04:02:10 AM »
Goodson may have felt it was good publicity for TPIR if Barker appeared on BTB, MG, etc.

blaq

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 05:58:15 PM »
Access issues for my trilon stagehand image and video have been corrected. Sorry about that.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 08:22:01 PM »
2.) Wasn't Mark Goodson a bit ticked off seeing people like Bob Barker and Bill Cullen on a competitor's game show?  Weren't these guys risking the goodwill of the hand which fed them?
So...there's two sides to this. Mark Goodson WAS very territorial about the celebrities who did his game shows. Pardon the namedrop, but Orson Bean told me that he wanted to do Hollywood Squares and opted not to because Mark Goodson didn't like to book celebrities who appeared on Hollywood Squares, and since Mark Goodson was the guy cranking out the most game shows, Orson stayed loyal to Goodson.

BUT...there was an elite level of game show talent where not even Mark Goodson would be willing to burn a bridge. Betty White did Hollywood Squares and Pyramid all those years because Mark Goodson was not about to ban Betty White from his game shows, and I would wager that deep down, Betty knew that.

I think it's safe to assume that Bill Cullen and Bob Barker, likewise, had "I'll do whatever the hell I want" privileges with Mark Goodson.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 07:33:24 AM »
In the early days of P+ Howard wanted to book Richard Dawson. A letter was sent to a VP at ABC asking permission to book Richard. ABC nixed the idea.

Betty, Cullen and Dick Martin were in a special category of celebs who could fill in on short notice if a previously-booked celeb became "unavailable".

We had once booked CNR for P+ and were all set to go. Allen came to the studio on tape day, learned of Charles's booking and threw a hissy fit, calling Charles a "creep". Charles was summarily unbooked and another celeb called in at the last minute, either BC or Dick Martin.

Close the closet door behind you, Allen.

Barker, Dawson, Rayburn, Convy, CNR, Brett and the other emcees were under contract so the chances of their appearing on non-GT shows were slim, but there were exceptions. Orson was probably under contract for TTTT but I'm guessing that ended when the show ended.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 07:54:18 AM by chris319 »

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 08:26:05 AM »
BUT...there was an elite level of game show talent where not even Mark Goodson would be willing to burn a bridge. Betty White did Hollywood Squares and Pyramid all those years because Mark Goodson was not about to ban Betty White from his game shows, and I would wager that deep down, Betty knew that.
I note Betty did not do any of the New York-based Pyramids from 1973 to 1981, at least according to the episode guides. I don't know whether that was because of the travel involved or because she was being loyal to Allen's Password (even if it wasn't on the air at the time). In any case, that rule was broken a few weeks after the 1982-1988 version started.

Related: I think I remember somebody mentioning on the old board that, after Fannie Flagg appeared for a week on The Gong Show, that MG-BT told her to stop that if she wanted to continue being booked on Match Game.

BillCullen1

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 09:14:24 AM »
Betty, Cullen and Dick Martin were in a special category of celebs who could fill in on short notice if a previously-booked celeb became "unavailable".

We had once booked CNR for P+ and were all set to go. Allen came to the studio on tape day, learned of Charles's booking and threw a hissy fit, calling Charles a "creep". Charles was summarily unbooked and another celeb called in at the last minute, either BC or Dick Martin.

I remember seeing that. Allen mentioned CNR but Bill Cullen showed up on the next show. Considering he did Match Game, I didn't think that Allen had problems with CNR. Just goes to show you.

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2023, 10:17:18 AM »
I note Betty did not do any of the New York-based Pyramids from 1973 to 1981, at least according to the episode guides. I don't know whether that was because of the travel involved or because she was being loyal to Allen's Password (even if it wasn't on the air at the time). In any case, that rule was broken a few weeks after the 1982-1988 version started.

Related: I think I remember somhe hosted a non G/Tebody mentioning on the old board that, after Fannie Flagg appeared for a week on The Gong Show, that MG-BT told her to stop that if she wanted to continue being booked on Match Game.

Betty likely had free rein on the shows she went on as her husband worked for Goodson and he hosted other producers for a spell as well (Liars Club/Stumpers). 

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2023, 11:22:27 AM »
I remember seeing that. Allen mentioned CNR but Bill Cullen showed up on the next show. Considering he did Match Game, I didn't think that Allen had problems with CNR.

ISTR Karen Morrow was involved in that incident. I see Karen appeared with BC in October, 1980, shortly before Allen became ill. Does that sound about right? I kind of remember it being earlier than that but I could be off.

Fannie was not under contract so Goodson had no sway over whether she appeared on Gong. Sounds like more Internet rubbish to me.

BillCullen1

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 01:46:22 PM »
I remember seeing that. Allen mentioned CNR but Bill Cullen showed up on the next show. Considering he did Match Game, I didn't think that Allen had problems with CNR.

ISTR Karen Morrow was involved in that incident. I see Karen appeared with BC in October, 1980, shortly before Allen became ill. Does that sound about right? I kind of remember it being earlier than that but I could be off.

Sorry, this I don't remember.