Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks & Directors  (Read 2027 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Card Sharks & Directors
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »
Off the thread in the A/V forum re: Paul Alter & Tattletales, I had a little question - how did the directors of Card Sharks vary? With the advent of GSN credit crunching, I never had the chance to see whether it was Marc Breslow or not on certain days in the Perry era, so I have no clues to go on as to who was directing. Surely somebody here watched closely enough to know what one director did over the other.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'186373\' date=\'May 20 2008, 10:30 AM\']
Off the thread in the A/V forum re: Paul Alter & Tattletales, I had a little question - how did the directors of Card Sharks vary?
[/quote]

78: IIRC, Alter was first, then Breslow took over from there [not sure as to when]

86: Same as '78. Andy Felsher also directed a number of eps. [and you can tell them right away when you see them].
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:11:08 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
Marc Breslow took over Card Sharks from Paul Alter when the latter went to work on All New Beat the Clock. After BTC, Paul directed the pilot of Puzzlers but at some point, I forget exactly when, production of Family Feud ramped up with the addition of the strip syndicated version, so Ira Skutch wound up directing the first run of Blockbusters and Child's Play.

How can you tell if Andy is directing Card Sharks?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'186381\' date=\'May 20 2008, 12:09 PM\']
78: IIRC, Alter was first, then Breslow took over from there [not sure as to when]

86: Same as '78. Andy Felsher also directed a number of eps. [and you can tell them right away when you see them].
[/quote]

I thought you'd get involved in this thread - and be correct. Thanks Chief-O. I must've phrased my question too vaguely though, and I assume you have the answer to my second one: how did they differ stylistically? I was trying to say I found it hard to tell major show differences, because...I didn't know where to look. But I assume Paul and Marc used some slightly different shots.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Chief-O

Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'186382\' date=\'May 20 2008, 11:20 AM\']
[/quote]

[quote name=\'JasonA1\']how did they differ stylistically?[/quote]

I'm not sure if there's some inside info behind Chris's statement [he knows him better than I do], but as far as the '86 version was concerned, the differences between the 3 were noticeable to some of us "geeks":

Alter: Style was, overall, more "simple" than successors. Tended to use crane camera a lot more during commercial outros.

Breslow: Used dissolves a lot more. Commercial outros consisted of contestant closeups--he would use a left-to-right wipe to transition between them.

Felsher: When returning from commercial, would show a wide, aerial shot of the set, before dissolving to Eubanks/Rafferty. Often used 2 cameras on car descriptions [Breslow used a single static shot].

/ok, I'm such a geek
//too much so
///then again, I want to direct TV someday
////I hope I wrote this in a coherent manner
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:17:16 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

tvwxman

Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'186392\' date=\'May 20 2008, 02:14 PM\']
///then again, I want to direct TV someday
[/quote]
Oh! I hope you enjoy pressing keyboard buttons, then.

\The password is : Parkervision <ding!>
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 02:34:29 AM »
OK, so it IS possible to watch too much Card Sharks.

he knows him better than I do
You know Andy?

davemackey

Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:08:09 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'186382\' date=\'May 20 2008, 12:20 PM\']
Marc Breslow took over Card Sharks from Paul Alter when the latter went to work on All New Beat the Clock. After BTC, Paul directed the pilot of Puzzlers but at some point, I forget exactly when, production of Family Feud ramped up with the addition of the strip syndicated version, so Ira Skutch wound up directing the first run of Blockbusters and Child's Play.

[/quote]
Felsher liked to use still store for the shot of the car during the show. And he loved getting closeups of Lacey and Suzannah.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:08:34 AM by davemackey »

Chief-O

Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:30:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'186498\' date=\'May 21 2008, 01:34 AM\']
You know Andy?
[/quote]

No, I don't. That was my point, silly.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Card Sharks & Directors
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 10:34:39 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'186511\' date=\'May 21 2008, 07:08 AM\']
And he loved getting closeups of Lacey and Suzannah.
[/quote]
But then again, who wouldn't?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)