Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Ryan Website  (Read 2048 times)

Matt Ottinger

Steve Ryan Website
« on: October 09, 2003, 06:33:23 PM »
People share things with me, I share them with you.  What a nice little forum we have here.

http://www.steveryangames.com/

Check out the bottom of the Game Shows page for a couple of photos that ought to get your attention.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SplitSecond

Steve Ryan Website
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 07:34:17 PM »
Puzzlers has already been discussed here before, but I don't think we've talked about Spellbinders.

The best way I can describe it is to relate it to Scrabble's Speedword round, except that letters are revealed in order from first to last, and the two players have celebrity partners (Charles Nelson Reilly and Debralee Scott, as you can see in the picture).

The game starts with the \"free-for-all\" round, where everyone is read a clue to the word or phrase, which Bill then starts spelling one letter at a time.  If the civilian jumps in and gets it wrong, the other civilian gets the next letter alone and gets a free guess; if the other civilian is wrong, it goes back to the first civilian with another letter and a free guess, and it volleys back and forth like that.  If it's a celebrity that jumps in and is wrong, the word volleys between the two celebrities until one gets it.

A typical clue would be \"No fun to take out\" for \"GARBAGE\", or \"It makes you stand\" for \"STARSPANGLEDBANNER\" (spaces are eliminated, obviously).

That said, when someone gets a word right, their team gets $50 and 1 point.  The first team to three points wins the \"free-for-all\" and then gets to play \"Spellbinders\" by themselves to add to their score.

In \"Spellbinders\", one member of the team goes backstage while the other comes up with three items in a category that Bill poses.  For instance, in the category \"Things you eat with spaghetti\", possible answers would be \"MEATSAUCE\", \"BREAD\", and \"WINE\".  Then, the other teammate comes back onstage, and the first teammate can use up to five letters (from the start of the respective words) to convey all three words.  (Think of one of the Chain Reaction bonus games).  Each word is worth $50.  If the team is down to one letter, the team not playing has the chance to challenge the team \"at bat\" to get the word they're working on with that one last letter.  $100 for the team \"at bat\" if they get the word, $100 for the challenging team otherwise.

The game then returns to the free-for-all (with doubled stakes), and the game goes back and forth between free-for-all and Spellbinders until one team reaches $500, winning the game.

The bonus round (\"Lucky 7\") features the winning contestant and both celebrities.  The contestant is sent backstage, and the two celebrities each come up with an item in another category (\"Card games\", for instance), then solicits five more answers from the studio audience.  The contestant comes back onstage and then has to guess all 7 items in 60 seconds, being shown only the first letter.  The contestant can call for more letters in each word to help her out (not including the last letter), but that eats up time.  Solving all 7 items earns the contestant a jackpot of $5000 + $1000 for each non-win.

The best part is that at the end of one of the pilots, you get this great shot of Debralee Scott staring at her watch.  No offense meant at all to Mr. Ryan, but that was my reaction too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 07:35:10 PM by SplitSecond »

zachhoran

Steve Ryan Website
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 07:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 05:33 PM\'] People share things with me, I share them with you.  What a nice little forum we have here.

http://www.steveryangames.com/

Check out the bottom of the Game Shows page for a couple of photos that ought to get your attention. [/quote]
Nice pics, especially the pics not seen before(Spellbinders and Puzzlers pilot, and all those game show people in one of the \"50 years of GS's\" pics, etc.). I didn't know Whispering Bill nearly got another GT gig after Better Sex ended(wasn't Spellbinders from the late 70s?). I think Feud would have been a damned excellent fit for Bill, perhaps if Dawson would have left Feud halfway through the run as the E! True Hollywood Story on Feud(I think it was there on which this was reported) had mentioned, Bill might have had a shot at that gig.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 08:34:39 PM by zachhoran »

PeterMarshallFan

Steve Ryan Website
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 07:56:07 PM »
Wow. Simply amazing, especially the Puzzlers and Spell Binders [never heard of that one before] pictures.

Robert Hutchinson

Steve Ryan Website
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 09:06:06 PM »
I probably shouldn't judge too harshly based on a simple text description, but the biggest pain regarding Spellbinders seems to me to be the \"contestants/celebrities come up with their own category items\" aspects. How harshly do you judge that? Do we get to watch the players think (yawn)?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

SplitSecond

Steve Ryan Website
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 12:59:50 AM »
Well, I think it's kinda self-judging, much like the Hot Streak end game.  You're free to say whatever you like, but if you go too far outside the category, your teammate's going to be stranded.

In the \"things you eat with spaghetti\" category, WINE was accepted, even though you don't really eat wine.  Needless to say, the contestant didn't have a prayer of getting it.