Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Pricing Game Question  (Read 9100 times)

whampyl03

TPiR Pricing Game Question
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2003, 12:48:31 AM »
Take Superball out of Bob Boden's garage, and place it back in Studio 33.

Amen, Brother Herbert.

aaron sica

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2003, 07:54:11 AM »
I'd like to see \"Plinko\" thrown back into the rotation.

Oh, it wasn't retired??

Seriously...

One game I've always liked is the game where Johnny O. started off booming, \"TWO New Cars!!!\"....It's Optional.

Of course, a good bit of the \"optional\" items they had to pick are now standard in cars. Could the game be updated for the 21st century?

cmjb13

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2003, 08:48:05 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 10:03 PM\']But speaking of bringing things back, why not bring back the Home Viewer Showcases?  True, there's a couple of weeks' worth of episodes you can't show in reruns (obviously, an episode that opens with a mention of the HVS can't be repeated on CBS), but who wouldn't want to see (okay, hear) someone win over $100,000 worth of stuff for one postcard (or E-mail, although that would be a little easy to rig by having computer programs to send off multiple E-mails with prices that increase by a penny a pop)?

[/quote]
The reason the home viewer showcases are no longer done is this...

Years ago they had a home viewer showcase. Turns out that 2 people had bid exactly the same total. The winner was picked either randomly or from the first postcard picked with the earliest postmark date. The loser, obviously not happy, sued claiming that he/she should have won.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2003, 11:22:13 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 08:48 AM\'] The reason the home viewer showcases are no longer done is this...

Years ago they had a home viewer showcase. Turns out that 2 people had bid exactly the same total. The winner was picked either randomly or from the first postcard picked with the earliest postmark date. The loser, obviously not happy, sued claiming that he/she should have won. [/quote]
 That seems a very unlikely reason for them to stop doing a Home Viewer Showcase altogether.  Surely they had rules that covered what they would do in case of a tie, and followed those rules to find their winner.  A loser is always going to be unhappy and, unfortunately, sometimes unhappy people sue.  That just comes with the territory.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cmjb13

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2003, 12:00:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 11:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 08:48 AM\'] The reason the home viewer showcases are no longer done is this...

Years ago they had a home viewer showcase. Turns out that 2 people had bid exactly the same total. The winner was picked either randomly or from the first postcard picked with the earliest postmark date. The loser, obviously not happy, sued claiming that he/she should have won. [/quote]
That seems a very unlikely reason for them to stop doing a Home Viewer Showcase altogether.  Surely they had rules that covered what they would do in case of a tie, and followed those rules to find their winner.  A loser is always going to be unhappy and, unfortunately, sometimes unhappy people sue.  That just comes with the territory. [/quote]
 This is what I was told when I asked.

It probably wasn't worth the hassle.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2003, 09:31:12 PM »
Then why don't they adopt the rules for the Home Viewer Showcase used on Cullen TPiR, where each individual item is listed on the postcard, with the total bid as well, and the items in order are used as the tiebreaker in the even of a tie on the total bid, that was a fair way to do that.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2003, 11:25:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 10:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 08:48 AM\'] The reason the home viewer showcases are no longer done is this...

That seems a very unlikely reason for them to stop doing a Home Viewer Showcase altogether.  Surely they had rules that covered what they would do in case of a tie, and followed those rules to find their winner.  A loser is always going to be unhappy and, unfortunately, sometimes unhappy people sue.  That just comes with the territory. [/quote]
 Just ask Maurice Clarrett.  He's suing someone else now...to keep this GS-on topic...I believe Ohio State was on Sports Challenge.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2003, 12:15:10 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 09:31 PM\'] Then why don't they adopt the rules for the Home Viewer Showcase used on Cullen TPiR, where each individual item is listed on the postcard, with the total bid as well, and the items in order are used as the tiebreaker in the even of a tie on the total bid, that was a fair way to do that. [/quote]
 Theoretically, if you're going to be correct to the penny on an elaborate, multi-item Showcase, then all your prices for each individual item are probably going to match the other guy's.  I'm surprised that didn't become an issue on Cullen's show.

Of course, Cullen's version eventually moved away from their Showcases (probably tiring of having ties every time) and started doing Sweepstakes in which five cards were drawn at random, and the closest bid of just those five won the goodies.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Rhudson765

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2003, 12:32:11 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 06:54 AM\'] I'd like to see "Plinko" thrown back into the rotation.

Oh, it wasn't retired??

Seriously...

One game I've always liked is the game where Johnny O. started off booming, "TWO New Cars!!!"....It's Optional.

Of course, a good bit of the "optional" items they had to pick are now standard in cars. Could the game be updated for the 21st century? [/quote]
 Yes, easily. Instead uf using option packages, just use prizes that can be used in cars like

Portable DVD Players.
Portable Gaming Systems like the PSOne and Game Boy Advance
Laptops
Car Stereos
Dashboard Tv's

The list goes on.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2003, 04:28:42 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 09:03 PM\']but who wouldn't want to see (okay, hear) someone win over $100,000 worth of stuff for one postcard[/quote]
*raises hand*

They were having 4,567-way ties back in the SIXTIES. Even more so today, with the Internet and all, every winner's going to be someone who can research prices and is luckier than several thousand other people.

But, then, I'm the freak who thinks they should change the normal showcases.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\']I'm surprised that didn't become an issue on Cullen's show.[/quote]

The one enjoyable thing about the Cullen-era home viewer showcases was the smirk Bill would employ when pointing out that the \"individual prices tiebreaker\" had reduced the field from 4,567 viewers to a mere 4,368.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2003, 06:14:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 08:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 11 2003, 08:48 AM\'] The reason the home viewer showcases are no longer done is this...

That's not going to stop a disgruntled loser from suing even though they don't have a case, and that requires MGP/CBS to devote legal resources to defending themselves. Unlike a studio contestant they don't have a signed release they can show in court which binds the home player to the rules and which indemnifies the production company/CBS.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 06:17:12 AM by chris319 »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2003, 06:59:20 AM »
Personally, of the retired games, the one I'd most wanna bring back is Walk of Fame.  Always just seemed like a fun game to play.  Plus, you got to keep the autograph book. (Did they give you one if you didn't need one during the course of the game, as a souvenier?)

Wouldn't Phone Home Game, in the Play Along promotion, get a tad confusing?

ChuckNet

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2003, 11:41:30 AM »
Wouldn't Phone Home Game, in the Play Along promotion, get a tad confusing?

It was never used as a Play Along game during that period of time.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")