Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Pricing Game Question  (Read 9101 times)

rugrats1

TPiR Pricing Game Question
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 11:17:08 PM »
[Penny Ante] may still come back at some point, but if it does, they're going to have to build a new prop.

Considering how budget-minded Fremantle is, if Penny Ante does come back, there's a chance that the new prop won't be as elaborate as the old one.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2003, 12:43:39 AM »
Seriously, it would be nice to see Penny Ante again. And you know what, I didn't think Double Digits was a bad concept... just a confusing setup.

I kind of agree with you about the Double Digits. However, \"Temptation\" is the reincarnated version of \"Double Digits.\" Something good did come out of that.

I enjoyed Superball and Penny Ante. I would have one of those games replace \"On the Spot.\" I also liked the \"Shell Game.\" Those were fun and should be seen back in rotation.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2003, 01:05:34 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 12:43 AM\'] I also liked the "Shell Game." [/quote]
 Uh, Shell Game's not retired...

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2003, 01:21:06 AM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 01:33 PM\'] Even though they both broke down a lot, I'd like to see both Hurdles and Super Saver back in the mix.    I think today's technology could allow for them to create new game boards that function without breaking down all the time.

Rob [/quote]
 For some reason, I have a feeling if Hurdles came back, Bob wouldn't be using that starter pistol. It's just something about our ultra uptight, PC country that tells me a parental council would be all over CBS, esp. on a show that airs in the mornings.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2003, 01:21:21 AM »
Uh, Shell Game's not retired...

Really? Forgive me. When most of my schooling time takes place during the time that TPiR is on, it is hard to keep tabs anymore.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2003, 02:54:50 AM »
Perhaps after a couple of downpours the Penny Ante game will come back in perfect alignment and function properly.

cmjb13

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2003, 06:42:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 07:04 PM\']$uper $aver's retirement had nothing to do with the game malfunctioning.[/quote]
Bob wanted it gone
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jay Temple

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2003, 11:38:37 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 12:21 AM\'] For some reason, I have a feeling if Hurdles came back, Bob wouldn't be using that starter pistol. It's just something about our ultra uptight, PC country that tells me a parental council would be all over CBS, esp. on a show that airs in the mornings. [/quote]
Aren't most game shows politically incorrect by their very nature?  After all, they have winners and--gasp--losers!  Just think what must happen to a person's self-esteem when he spins $5,000 on WoF and chooses a vowel.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 11:39:09 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2003, 02:22:19 PM »
Given the ratings and the factor of the audience still beating down the doors to get on the show, I think we could be due for a return of the \"Phone Home Game\", which I still believe to this day was an ingenious concept. :-)

cmjb13

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2003, 02:27:46 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 02:22 PM\']the factor of the audience still beating down the doors to get on the show[/quote]
Not during the fall.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2003, 04:58:49 PM »
SuperBall was cool, but seemed too complicated. I think it would help if they moved away from the each ball = a prize idea. Play for a certain score, as in real Skee-Ball. Or play for one big prize, any ball in the middle hole wins it (the more balls you earn, the better your chances).

Does anybody recall if the center \"win\" hole was bigger in SuperBall than it would be on a typical Skee-Ball lane? Statistics might not bear this out, but the game always seemed too hard.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2003, 05:14:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 01:58 PM\'] Does anybody recall if the center "win" hole was bigger in SuperBall than it would be on a typical Skee-Ball lane? Statistics might not bear this out, but the game always seemed too hard. [/quote]
 It was prolly the size of a 30-point hole, which was the center of the bullseye. The 50-point hole at the top of a Skee-Ball target is usually only a teeny bit bigger than a single ball. You gotta hit it dead-on. At 30 there is a little more leeway.

Also I think the balls used in Super Ball were somewhat smaller than regular Skee-Balls...they struck me as being pool-ball sized, and a Skee-Ball is usually larger than a baseball.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2003, 07:25:55 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 01:22 PM\'] Given the ratings and the factor of the audience still beating down the doors to get on the show, I think we could be due for a return of the "Phone Home Game", which I still believe to this day was an ingenious concept. :-) [/quote]
 Certainly, but it'd have to be called the E-mail Home Game now. Have TPIR get into the computer age and do the game via e-mail exchanges, of course that would be too complicated for some of the contestants on the show, but it's a nice thought.

Why did PHG leave TPIR in the late 80s anyway(it ran concurrently with the Play ALong promotion at one point). For those who don't recall, one pricing game on some episodes was a Play Along game, meaning someone at home would win whatever prizes the contestant won in that pricing game(and a Play Along T-shirt if the contestant won nothing). Sometimes they did this for the Showcase Showdown, and they would have three postcards drawn. They'd read one name at the outset, and if someone won $1K on the WHeel, the home player would and they'd draw another postcard who would win money if someone else won $1K. Home players also won whatever money was won in Bonus Spins, if any.

tommycharles

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2003, 07:49:11 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 06:25 PM\']
Certainly, but it'd have to be called the E-mail Home Game now. Have TPIR get into the computer age and do the game via e-mail exchanges, of course that would be too complicated for some of the contestants on the show, but it's a nice thought.

[/quote]
 The only red flag I see in that plan is that if I get an email from someone I don't know telling me that I can win big in the next 5 minutes I'm inclined to delete it.

That Don Guy

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2003, 10:03:13 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 01:22 PM\']Given the ratings and the factor of the audience still beating down the doors to get on the show, I think we could be due for a return of the \"Phone Home Game\", which I still believe to this day was an ingenious concept. :-)[/quote]
Too hard to control the home contestant, especially when one prize was missed (the home player had to remember that there were now two prices that couldn't be mentioned.)

But speaking of bringing things back, why not bring back the Home Viewer Showcases?  True, there's a couple of weeks' worth of episodes you can't show in reruns (obviously, an episode that opens with a mention of the HVS can't be repeated on CBS), but who wouldn't want to see (okay, hear) someone win over $100,000 worth of stuff for one postcard (or E-mail, although that would be a little easy to rig by having computer programs to send off multiple E-mails with prices that increase by a penny a pop)?

-- Don