Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Pricing Game Question  (Read 9102 times)

dmota104

TPiR Pricing Game Question
« on: October 09, 2003, 01:07:42 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, \"Check Out\" is the only pricing game in TPiR's history to be retired -- and then brought back into the rotation.

Which game from the past would you like to see back up and running in the Bob Barker studio?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 01:16:42 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 12:07 PM\'] To the best of my knowledge, "Check Out" is the only pricing game in TPiR's history to be retired -- and then brought back into the rotation.

Which game from the past would you like to see back up and running in the Bob Barker studio? [/quote]
 Take Superball out of Bob Boden's garage, and place it back in Studio 33.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TV Favorites

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »
I heard that Three Strikes was retired for a while and then brought back, but I could be wrong about that.

TraderRob

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 02:33:56 PM »
Even though they both broke down a lot, I'd like to see both Hurdles and Super Saver back in the mix.    I think today's technology could allow for them to create new game boards that function without breaking down all the time.

Rob

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 07:04:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 02:33 PM\'] Even though they both broke down a lot, I'd like to see both Hurdles and Super Saver back in the mix.    I think today's technology could allow for them to create new game boards that function without breaking down all the time.

Rob [/quote]
 Clock Game John from golden-road.net has it on good authority that $uper $aver's retirement had nothing to do with the game malfunctioning.  Unfortunately, he's not at liberty to divulge what was the reason.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 07:25:15 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 12:07 PM\'] To the best of my knowledge, "Check Out" is the only pricing game in TPiR's history to be retired -- and then brought back into the rotation.
 [/quote]
 Check Out disappeared for a year, and then was revived with the current 1.00 either way range rather than 50 cents needed to win.

Pick a Pair disappeared for about three years and returned in 1990 with the simpler current setup as opposed to the Ferris Wheel setup.

I didn't see this, but as per a post in ATGS several years back, Make Your Move reportedly was played once or twice in 1986 before its return as a regularly played game in 1989. The 1986 format had a board of nine numbers as we see now, but with TWO three digit prizes and one four digit prizes, and one of the digits was to be used TWICE.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 07:28:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 12:54 PM\'] I heard that Three Strikes was retired for a while and then brought back, but I could be wrong about that. [/quote]
 If it disappeared for a while, it could have been due to budget reasons(as the game is now played for a high-end car, which was not the case in the 70s and most of the 80s). One season(1994-95 I think) saw that and Golden ROad not played for the last third of the season due to budget reasons. There was a gap of several months that 3 Strikes was not played just before the change to the \"one strike in the bag\" rule.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 07:41:41 PM »
Golden-road.net was recently contacted by an anonymous someone who's been able to give us the premiere date of every pricing game since about 1981, so I think it's now safe to say that the legendary 1986 playing of Make Your Move is nothing more than a myth.

As for 3 Strikes, there was a period in Season 26 where it wasn't played for 13 weeks.  When it returned at the end of May, the \"one strike in the bag\" rule had been instituted.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 08:32:31 PM »
I still miss Penny Ante, malfunctions and all.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 08:39:59 PM »
I miss Super Ball too.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 08:47:19 PM »
I was gonna say \"Bump,\" but then I might be accused of trying to keep this thread at the top of the topic list.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 09:50:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 08:32 PM\'] I still miss Penny Ante, malfunctions and all. [/quote]
 Actually, Penny Ante is technically not retired, even though it wasn't played all last season.  The staff had decided to retire it at one point, but they later reconsidered; unfortunately, after the initial decision was made, the board was put outside, and before they changed their minds, it rained.  The game may still come back at some point, but if it does, they're going to have to build a new prop.

combsisthebest

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 10:05:36 PM »
I would like to see Penny Ante and Walk of Fame return.

drmusic_99

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 11:11:07 PM »
Bullseye I!!!! (ducks)

Seriously, it would be nice to see Penny Ante again. And you know what, I didn't think Double Digits was a bad concept... just a confusing setup.

Jim

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 11:14:49 PM »
I want to see Split Decision come back.  For no other reason, it was one of the few games in which Bob regularly showed some temper at  contestants who didn't act with some semblance or order.  I frequently heard him yell at the person \"ring the bell\" after they moved the number tiles.  One time, you saw a definitely mad Bob push the button stopping the clock himself when the player kept jumping around looking into the audience.

Fortune Hunter also had good play along value.