Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cbs Winnings Cap Still $125,000?  (Read 2592 times)

cmjb13

Cbs Winnings Cap Still $125,000?
« on: October 08, 2003, 06:41:21 PM »
Found this on the TPIR contestant release form, while searching for rules regarding contestants telling people their results:

\"I understand that the maximum value of prizes (including cash) which I can win on the program is One Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars ($125,000). Even if my winnings exceed the limit, I shall not receive winnings in excess of One Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars ($125,000).

Assuming this is still correct (revised 12/22/2000), I'm wondering if somebody wins $1M, they only win $125k.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 06:54:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure the rule only applies to Daytime.   Nighttime eps are exempt from the cap.   (Remember, Winning Lines gave away a few hundred thousand an ep)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 07:05:44 PM »
Not to mention Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race, Cupid, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 10:40:55 PM »
There's obviously no way CBS could get away with advertising a million dollar prize if they were only going to let the winner keep $125K.  

Face it, all the old network game show rules (winnings caps, appearance limits, etc) are pretty much out the window these days.  They just don't matter anymore.  If there is a $125K cap on the daytime TPIR, it's just a leftover relic that nobody's bothering with because nobody's going to win that much on the daytime show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 10:47:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 09:40 PM\'] There's obviously no way CBS could get away with advertising a million dollar prize if they were only going to let the winner keep $125K.  

Face it, all the old network game show rules (winnings caps, appearance limits, etc) are pretty much out the window these days.  They just don't matter anymore.  If there is a $125K cap on the daytime TPIR, it's just a leftover relic that nobody's bothering with because nobody's going to win that much on the daytime show. [/quote]
 Sorry to be nitpicky, Matt, but if somebody wins Golden Road and both showcases, I could see that person getting to $125K.

Of course, paying the taxes on all those prizes is another matter.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 11:14:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 10:47 PM\'] Sorry to be nitpicky, Matt, but if somebody wins Golden Road and both showcases, I could see that person getting to $125K.

Of course, paying the taxes on all those prizes is another matter.  :-) [/quote]
 Well then, let's hope they also win $10,000 on the Showcase Showdown to offset some of that.  And while we're at it, let's be sure they get the extra $500 for a perfect bid!

Seriously, it's theoretically possible for somebody to win hundreds of thousands of dollars on a single episode of Jeopardy, yet the all-time record is only $50K.   Just because something is theoretically possible doesn't mean it's going to happen.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 08:13:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 10:14 PM\']
Seriously, it's theoretically possible for somebody to win hundreds of thousands of dollars on a single episode of Jeopardy, yet the all-time record is only $50K.   Just because something is theoretically possible doesn't mean it's going to happen. [/quote]
 Ditto with WOF, and the highest one day total on that show is $122K(the duo who won all the rounds and toss up puzzles on said show, including the $100K in the Bonus Round, during the Family week last December)