Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show host jokes  (Read 7733 times)

beatlefreak84

Game show host jokes
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:41:14 PM »
Howdy,

After watching some Drew PIR for the last few days and reflecting some on Barker PIR, the following thought occurred to me:

Game show hosts are, stereotypically, known for bad jokes.  Some are just bad right off the bat, but some are so overused that they eventually become bad to the point where you groan because you know it's coming, along with the obligatory chuckles from the audience.

So, I thought I'd ask all of you:  what are some game show host jokes that were/are just too overused to possibly get laughs, whether the host realized/s it or not?  Here were the first four I thought of:

-Bob Barker:  "We can't start it again for 37 hours."

-Bob Barker:  "She came on down, and they came on out!"

-John O'Hurley:  The fake startle when the Fast Money buzzer sounds for the first time.

-Drew Carey:  "...named after the founder of the show, Ezekiel Barker."

Or, to go the other way:  Which game show host jokes were just so good that you often find yourself repeating them and laughing at them every time you do?  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Jimmy Owen

Game show host jokes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:10:21 PM »
One that I remembered after all these years was told by Art James on MMM.  "Have you heard of the new Italian sports car, the Pazzule?  It's so fast, no other car can pasta Pazzule."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dale_grass

Game show host jokes
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »
One line I always liked was on Family Feud.  If Richard would ask the question and the contestant would repeat it, Richard would dryly say "I asked you first."

TimK2003

Game show host jokes
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'184292\' date=\'Apr 17 2008, 04:41 PM\']
Game show hosts are, stereotypically, known for bad jokes.  Some are just bad right off the bat, but some are so overused that they eventually become bad to the point where you groan because you know it's coming, along with the obligatory chuckles from the audience.
[/quote]

I was just thinking, who was the person responsible for the "bad host puns" on the non-celebrity Barry & Enright  shows?

B&E's Big Four -- Joker, Bullseye, TTD and %'s -- all seemed to overdose on the bad puns during contestant interviews.  I don't think their hosts just did those groaners "off the cuff", someone had to incorporate those lame-o jokes.  

/Was it Mr. Enright's idea?
//If so, it could be considered 'Rigging' the interviews???
///Patrick Wayne was a REAL game show joke!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:53:58 PM by TimK2003 »

abba

Game show host jokes
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
How about Howie mandel always saying to contestants, he'll open the case "When we come back".
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:42:02 PM by abba »

tvrandywest

Game show host jokes
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'184311\' date=\'Apr 17 2008, 06:52 PM\']
I was just thinking, who was the person responsible for the "bad host puns" on the non-celebrity Barry & Enright  shows?[/quote]
Most likely Mark Maxwell Smith who worked for B&E back then - check the credits. Mark loves that stuff. The worst he wrote for me on SWEEP was something about Popeye not being able to Palmolive.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game show host jokes
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'184318\' date=\'Apr 17 2008, 07:17 PM\']Most likely Mark Maxwell Smith who worked for B&E back then - check the credits. Mark loves that stuff. The worst he wrote for me on SWEEP was something about Popeye not being able to Palmolive.[/quote]A credit to you, sir, then, for never once breaking character during the sweep, which was a gauntlet of that sort of thing.
Travis L. Eberle

ChuckNet

Game show host jokes
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »
Most likely Mark Maxwell Smith who worked for B&E back then - check the credits. Mark loves that stuff. The worst he wrote for me on SWEEP was something about Popeye not being able to Palmolive.

LOL...why do I have a feeling Mark and I would get along quite well?

Chuck Donegan (The Bad-Pun-Loving "Chuckie Baby")

Johnissoevil

Game show host jokes
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »
Anything Richard Karn tried to crack.

/I'd be here all night if I were to list every single one.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

BrandonFG

Game show host jokes
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 01:51:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'184323\' date=\'Apr 17 2008, 10:50 PM\']
Anything Richard Karn tried to crack.

/I'd be here all night if I were to list every single one.
[/quote]
1. The scenery.

/With his teeth.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

toetyper

Game show host jokes
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'184318\' date=\'Apr 17 2008, 10:17 PM\']

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

well; it was cable

/wants to ask randy if he taped his sweep  voiceover at the  show or many at  once later
//too lazy to start new topic

alfonzos

Game show host jokes
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 05:26:24 PM »
Richard Dawson made a running gag of greeting foreign looking team captains in their native tongue. Then he would go to the next person in the line up and in a stage whisper say, "They love it when you talk to them in their native language."
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos