Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two TPiR games retired  (Read 13431 times)

Robert Hutchinson

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 04:48:20 AM »
Thank you.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Steve Gavazzi

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'183375\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 04:23 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'183374\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 01:21 AM\'][quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'183369\' date=\'Apr 6 2008, 01:22 AM\']Poker Game stumps me, considering that I thought it was being played much less often due to the aforementioned small-prize issue.[/quote]Poker Game isn't a small prize game...[/quote]Come on. You know what he meant.[/quote]
Actually, no.  Since "small prize" usually refers to fee games, and since they've been getting played less, that's what I thought of when I read Robert's post, and I couldn't figure out how it would apply to Poker Game.  It should have been obvious that wasn't what he meant, but it never occurred to me last night.

(Actually, I'm glad I was wrong -- that seemed like an uncharacteristically stupid thing for Robert to say.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:18:01 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Robert Hutchinson

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »
And after some sleep, I realize that I do often use the "inside" TPIR terminology--I know that "small-prize" has the meaning that Steve was referring to, for instance. So yeah, no big deal.

(See what Poker Game has done? No wonder they've retired it!)

uncamark

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »
As I understood it, Joker's main advantage for the show was that it didn't involve any mechanics or electronics and could be used as a last-minute substitute if a small prize for prize package game board was having problems.  Do they now just dump the small prize game or are they going to come up with another one that doesn't require mechanics or electronics?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'183550\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 12:51 PM\']
Do they now just dump the small prize game or are they going to come up with another one that doesn't require mechanics or electronics?
[/quote]

Shell Game would fit this bill, although I believe it times out longer than Joker. Steve...?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Unrealtor

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 04:00:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'183554\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 12:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'183550\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 12:51 PM\']
Do they now just dump the small prize game or are they going to come up with another one that doesn't require mechanics or electronics?
[/quote]

Shell Game would fit this bill, although I believe it times out longer than Joker. Steve...?

-Jason
[/quote]

It's a little bit more complicated to set up than Shell Game (because it has to be plugged in -- how complex can the electronics be to light up one bulb separately from three others?), but it seems like Bonus Game would fit the bill time-wise.

Edit to add: Given what's been shot down already in terms of theory, could they have been retired at Drew's request? Poker game is not easy to explain and Joker is rather counter-intuitive (although that wasn't anything  a rephrasing of the rules couldn't have fixed.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:07:43 PM by Unrealtor »
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

ClockGameJohn

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
Re: Timing

Joker and Shell are timed the same.

Bonus is .5 minute shorter.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 05:16:34 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'183580\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 01:58 PM\']
Re: Timing[/quote]
"What's the key to comedy, Alex?"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'183576\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 04:00 PM\']Edit to add: Given what's been shot down already in terms of theory, could they have been retired at Drew's request? Poker game is not easy to explain and Joker is rather counter-intuitive (although that wasn't anything  a rephrasing of the rules couldn't have fixed.)[/quote]
I couldn't have said it better myself, cough cough.

Even if you redo Joker's rules, though (put the joker into your hand to win?), you've got a potential moment of confusion for the host if he's working down to a 50-50 shot. Compare it to Shell Game--chips in front of the shells, that the contestant placed there, are pretty unambiguous markers. But in Joker, you have to remember what position the game started in before you can be sure whether the face-down card is a winner or a loser.

(And yes, I do think it's something that could trip up almost anyone, especially after they've just gone back and forth with "if it's here you win, if it's here you lose".)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'183587\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 04:44 PM\'](And yes, I do think it's something that could trip up almost anyone, especially after they've just gone back and forth with "if it's here you win, if it's here you lose".)[/quote]The easy fix there is to do away with the back-and-forth reveal. Script the game so you reveal everything of type A and declare win/loss, either "we'll show you the cards in your hand, if you have the Joker, you win." or "you didn't draw these cards, if you left the Joker behind, no bedroom set for you." (Don't tell me that C: Boondoggle was wrong when I didn't make that my final answer)

I haven't seen a playing of Joker in a while, does the host whittle away the dead cards making sure that the Joker is in fact last, if the game is won?
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'183588\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 07:50 PM\']I haven't seen a playing of Joker in a while, does the host whittle away the dead cards making sure that the Joker is in fact last, if the game is won?[/quote]
It depended on how Bob felt like doing it that day.

TimK2003

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 10:05:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'183318\' date=\'Apr 5 2008, 11:42 AM\']
Also, I'm not going to go revealing why Poker Game and Joker were retired without John's permission, but I will say that no one in this thread has hit on it yet.
[/quote]

Could it be that the Joker face atop the Poker Game was starting to look like Bob Barker in his final TPIR years?

Or that Bob Barker and the word Joker are now synonymous and they are trying to get any reminders of Bob off of the set?

:)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:07:23 PM by TimK2003 »

uncamark

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'183591\' date=\'Apr 8 2008, 09:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'183318\' date=\'Apr 5 2008, 11:42 AM\']
Also, I'm not going to go revealing why Poker Game and Joker were retired without John's permission, but I will say that no one in this thread has hit on it yet.
[/quote]

Could it be that the Joker face atop the Poker Game was starting to look like Bob Barker in his final TPIR years?

Or that Bob Barker and the word Joker are now synonymous and they are trying to get any reminders of Bob off of the set?

:)
[/quote]

They haven't taken down the "Barker" from the "Bargain Bar" sign yet, have they?  (Yeah, I know that Barker's Markers is now Make Your Mark.)  Perhaps when Drew has run out of ancient man names to use.

Neumms

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
Could the reason be that they're coming up with a new card game? Maybe a new, better poker game?

cmjb13

Two TPiR games retired
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 07:24:47 AM »
The reason I've been told is 1 word.

Boring.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS