Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: David Ruprecht In Tpir Audience (10/7/03)  (Read 6999 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
David Ruprecht In Tpir Audience (10/7/03)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 09:36:22 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 04:25 PM\'] Well, I'm sure that a lot of the reasoning is for the sake of consistency, since the name the announcer calls comes from what the contestants fill out while in line - on which they put their legal name. [/quote]
 Ah, but my legal name and the name that appears on my DL are two different things.

My given name is Jon Christopher Lemon. I have ALWAYS gone by my middle name, and moreover, the short form (unless I was in trouble with Mom ;)).

However, high school civics taught me that my \"legal name\" is whatever form of that above name that I choose to use, and all I have to do to make it official is sign it to documents and such. So my legal name is \"Chris Lemon\", and that's what I sign to any and all forms, including my signature on my DL and my IRS return

So if I ever find myself in the audience on TPiR (and I'm eligible again, no longer being in the broadcasting biz), I will be writing \"Chris\" on all of my forms, and they will be writing \"Chris\" on my nametag, and that is all I have to say about that. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2003, 10:52:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 08:36 PM\'] So if I ever find myself in the audience on TPiR (and I'm eligible again, no longer being in the broadcasting biz), I will be writing "Chris" on all of my forms, and they will be writing "Chris" on my nametag, and that is all I have to say about that. :) [/quote]
 Just to clear things up (in case there's some rule I'm not aware of), are you eligible because you are no longer working in the broadcasting industry or no longer working for a CBS affil?

Skynet74

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2003, 02:30:35 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 10:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 08:36 PM\'] So if I ever find myself in the audience on TPiR (and I'm eligible again, no longer being in the broadcasting biz), I will be writing \"Chris\" on all of my forms, and they will be writing \"Chris\" on my nametag, and that is all I have to say about that. :) [/quote]
Just to clear things up (in case there's some rule I'm not aware of), are you eligible because you are no longer working in the broadcasting industry or no longer working for a CBS affil? [/quote]

I think he meant that if in the future he is no longer working in the Biz, which would mean that he is now. However I don't think Chris is ineligible to be a contestant anyway unless he has close ties to the show such as working for a CBS affiliate or Fremantle. Is that the case Chris?

John
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 02:31:23 AM by Skynet74 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2003, 03:04:44 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 07:52 PM\'] Just to clear things up (in case there's some rule I'm not aware of), are you eligible because you are no longer working in the broadcasting industry or no longer working for a CBS affil? [/quote]
 Specifically because I'm no longer working for a CBS affil, but I'm not in the broadcasting business anymore, either. Just a lonely ol' tech writer for Atari nowadays, that's me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 03:23:51 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 02:04 AM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 07:52 PM\'] Just to clear things up (in case there's some rule I'm not aware of), are you eligible because you are no longer working in the broadcasting industry or no longer working for a CBS affil? [/quote]
Specifically because I'm no longer working for a CBS affil, but I'm not in the broadcasting business anymore, either. Just a lonely ol' tech writer for Atari nowadays, that's me. [/quote]
 This was brought up on the GSN's boards.  I stated/asked that if someone worked for an ABC affiliate; they should be elegible; I was definatly told no.  What's the answer?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robair

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2003, 07:02:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 10:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 08:34 AM\'] It looked like it said David on his nametag, but I couldn't tell for sure as he was too far away for me to see clearly. [/quote]
I'm kinda surprised he wore a nametag, actually, but when you get down to brass tacks, I can't think of a reason he wouldn't be eligible, from a legal aspect. [/quote]
 Could be he's in the audience for observation...might he be doing the live stage show at some point after Mr. Newton? Suprised nobody's brought that point up yet.
--Robair

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2003, 10:55:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 08:36 PM\']So if I ever find myself in the audience on TPiR (and I'm eligible again, no longer being in the broadcasting biz), I will be writing \"Chris\" on all of my forms, and they will be writing \"Chris\" on my nametag, and that is all I have to say about that. :)[/quote]
Not that I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles anytime soon, but I am rather curious about MY eligibility.  My mother works for an advertising agency (reception), and I've done a few voiceovers over my career.  While technically that doesn't put me in the broadcasting business, I would think that advertising is also frowned upon (I'm pretty much assured of being not able to win any radio contest--not that I ever could be lucky caller number five).

So am I permanently ineligible?

Douglas (which I guess is what I'd have to put on my TPIR nametag if I ever came to a taping)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 10:56:12 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2003, 11:52:13 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 09:55 AM\']Not that I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles anytime soon, but I am rather curious about MY eligibility.  My mother works for an advertising agency (reception), and I've done a few voiceovers over my career.  While technically that doesn't put me in the broadcasting business, I would think that advertising is also frowned upon (I'm pretty much assured of being not able to win any radio contest--not that I ever could be lucky caller number five).

So am I permanently ineligible?[/quote]
My understanding has always been that a contestant cannot be an employee of the production company and their corporate parents or the network or stations broadcasting that show or a member of the *immediate* family of an employee (in other words, cousin, maybe, greatgrandchild, yes, spouse or child, no).

In other words, if you work for Fremantle, CBS, Viacom or any subsidiary or affiliate (which I would assume would mean BMG Music Group or Random House, since Bertlesmann owns both those companies and [through the wall of The RTL Group] Fremantle), you're ineligible for \"TPIR.\"  If you work for the NBC or ABC or Fox stations, you're eligible.

However, the nature of broadcasting does cause some crazy connections--I particularly think of Michelle MacKenzie-Voigt, a winning contestant on \"$100K Pyramid,\" because I used to know her.  Michelle was and is a director at WTTW, Chicago's main PBS station.  However, at the time I believe her husband was directing \"Siskel & Ebert,\" which although produced by Disney was taping at WBBM, the CBS-owned station.  Technically, I believe her husband was a Disney employee, but there may've been a question that could've kept her from being placed on \"$25K Pyramid\" but didn't stop her from appearing on \"$100K Pyramid,\" which wasn't on any CBS-owned stations despite being taped at a CBS facility (and wasn't even on in Chicago at that time--I didn't see her performance until getting GSN over a decade later).

Of course, outside of not being able to watch her performance unless her cable had WOR, I don't think Michelle objected to being put on \"$100K Pyramid.\"

tvrandywest

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2003, 02:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 06:02 AM\']Could be he's in the audience for observation...might he be doing the live stage show at some point after Mr. Newton? Suprised nobody's brought that point up yet.[/quote]
I got a lotta e-mail about David's visit. No, he was not in the audience for any reason having to do with the show, and he was not on the grassy knoll in Dallas.

David's become a good friend who just wanted to visit. And like everyone else who sits in that audience he was blown away by Bob's work. Barker is the undisputed WGMC!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2003, 03:16:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 10:52 AM\'] However, the nature of broadcasting does cause some crazy connections--I particularly think of Michelle MacKenzie-Voigt, a winning contestant on "$100K Pyramid," because I used to know her.  Michelle was and is a director at WTTW, Chicago's main PBS station. [/quote]
 This'll make you feel really old, Mark.  Back in the days when WTTW was resorting to the \"Auction\" gimmick (which is still used by some PBS stations to this day), I happened to overpay (don't we all) for a calculator.  When I, as but a mere pup of a lad, showed up at WTTW's studios to claim the gift, I was given a \"bonus\" of a replica of the first two-dollar bill.  The presentation was made on camera (marking the first time I had ever been on television--I'm surprised millions of TV sets didn't shatter), and doing the honors was none other than Michelle McKenzie-Voigt.  She was mildly impressed that I had recognized her name from the credits on SNEAK PREVIEWS (for the one or two who don't know, SNEAK PREVIEWS was the original forum [with a name change or two along the way] by which Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert had formed their TV partnership).

And to get this back on topic, you're saying that the fact that I've done commercials wouldn't necessarily make me ineligible to be a contestant on TPIR--is that correct?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2003, 03:45:54 PM »
Both my wife and I worked for advertising agencies and we were eligible to play. I figured we were safe because our agency didn't have had any clients that would sponsor TPIR, but I recall to our surprise it wouldn't have been a problem anyway.

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2003, 04:21:48 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 02:16 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 10:52 AM\'] However, the nature of broadcasting does cause some crazy connections--I particularly think of Michelle MacKenzie-Voigt, a winning contestant on \"$100K Pyramid,\" because I used to know her.  Michelle was and is a director at WTTW, Chicago's main PBS station. [/quote]
This'll make you feel really old, Mark.  Back in the days when WTTW was resorting to the \"Auction\" gimmick (which is still used by some PBS stations to this day), I happened to overpay (don't we all) for a calculator.  When I, as but a mere pup of a lad, showed up at WTTW's studios to claim the gift, I was given a \"bonus\" of a replica of the first two-dollar bill.  The presentation was made on camera (marking the first time I had ever been on television--I'm surprised millions of TV sets didn't shatter), and doing the honors was none other than Michelle McKenzie-Voigt.  She was mildly impressed that I had recognized her name from the credits on SNEAK PREVIEWS (for the one or two who don't know, SNEAK PREVIEWS was the original forum [with a name change or two along the way] by which Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert had formed their TV partnership).[/quote]
I heard that Michelle also tried out for \"TWL\" when they were in Chicago while the show was still in prime time and made it to the mock game, but AFAIK never got booked to go on the show.  She may've been at the Hyatt the same day I tried out, but there were so many people at that tryout that she could've been there and I would never know.  If you see on one of the Pax reruns a thin, dark-haired, cute-looking woman say at the top of the show \"Michelle, 40-something, Chicago, Illinois, television director,\" that would probably be her.

And to get this back on topic, you're saying that the fact that I've done commercials wouldn't necessarily make me ineligible to be a contestant on TPIR--is that correct?

That would be my understanding--particularly since I believe they now allow performers' union members to appear as contestants.  As long as you or your nearest relations are not currently getting a regular paycheck from Fremantle, a Viacom company or a CBS affiliate.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2003, 07:35:01 PM »
Around five years ago, there was a guy named Michael \"Bubba\" Hester on a perfect show.  Does anyone happen to remember what his nametag said?  I'd assume from the discussion here that it was \"Michael,\" but he's much better known as \"Bubba,\" and I'm not quite sure why.  (In case it rings a bell for anyone, he told Bob he wanted to open a \"Bubba-Mart.\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2003, 10:30:20 PM »
I particularly think of Michelle MacKenzie-Voigt, a winning contestant on \"$100K Pyramid,\" because I used to know her.

Didn't her mother used to do audience work for NBC? (ducking)

Chuck Donegan (The Comedic \"Chuckie Baby\")

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2003, 03:09:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 06:35 PM\']Around five years ago, there was a guy named Michael \"Bubba\" Hester on a perfect show.  Does anyone happen to remember what his nametag said?[/quote]
Yep... it said \"Michael.\" Bubba's distantly related to one of my friends, so I was told to be sure to watch that episode.

The most recent time I was at TPiR (a couple of months ago), the page reading the scripted instructions to the audience was very clear that the name printed on your numbered ticket thing (the one that corresponds to the number you wear during the interview), as well as the name printed on your name tag, had to be your legal first name. I don't remember the exact wording, but the explanation was something like, \"If prizes are won by an Elizabeth, but your name tag says 'Liz,' then we cannot award you the prizes.\" The wording was very strict about that.

--
Scott Robinson