Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I saw Vicki Lawrence kiss Alex Trebek  (Read 8767 times)

clanky06

I saw Vicki Lawrence kiss Alex Trebek
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »
Okay, okay, I just know that this topic was covered to death long ago, but I wasn't here long ago.

Well, I was dog and house sitting and was channel surfing out of boredom and happened on a 1987 episode of Mama's Family where Thelma Harper (Mama) goes on Jeopardy! after a bizarre remote contestant tryout. Unreal funny stuff during the quiz show, and apparently this was live, not taped, since the family watched it without Mama being there. What a contrast with a real Jeopardy! episode where Alex snapped at a woman contestant, also in the center position, "Don't mess with me....You'll only hurt your self."

Then there was the probably more famous 1990 "Who is...Cliff Clavin" episode on Cheers. This lived on in Alex remarking, "He couldn't be caught, unless he pulled a Cliff Clavin."

Two movies that I can think of where Jeopardy! was prominent are Rain Man, 1988, and White Men Can't Jump, 1992.

Now for my questions. Are there other TV or movie Jeopardy appearances? Has any other real game/quiz show been similarly featured? Obviously both parties in these "deals" thought "win-win" where the prestige and/or publicity was beneficial. I wonder who first approached whom?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:52:58 PM by clanky06 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »
WoF - A-Team
J! - Mama's Family, Cheers
Family Feud - Mama's Family
WWTBAM - Spin City
Pyramid - Friends
TPiR - Martial Law

Those are the ones that spring right to my mind.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:01:58 PM by whoserman »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:02:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'180946\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 03:52 PM\']
What a contrast with a real Jeopardy! episode where Alex snapped at a woman contestant, also in the center position, "Don't mess with me....You'll only hurt your self."
[/quote]
Did this really happen? Details please.

tpirfan28

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »
TPIR:  How I Met Your Mother
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'180946\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 06:52 PM\']Are there other TV or movie Jeopardy appearances?
[/quote]

A whole episode of The Golden Girls details Dorothy's love for Jeopardy! and her attempts to tryout. Falling asleep during a study session, she has a dream where she takes on her dim-witted roommate and apparent champion Rose Nylund, and a surfing, "chick" obsessed dude. Later, she passes the test so well, yet being cocky doing so. She isn't accepted to be on the show because, in the words of the contestant coordinator, "We don't feel anyone would root for you."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'180952\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 04:08 PM\']
A whole episode of The Golden Girls details Dorothy's love for Jeopardy! and her attempts to tryout. Falling asleep during a study session, she has a dream where she takes on her dim-witted roommate and apparent champion Rose Nylund, and a surfing, "chick" obsessed dude.
[/quote]
Oh yeah. I forgot about that one. That "dude" happens to be their neighbor, Charlie Deats. He became more prevalent in the spin-off "Empty Nest".

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »
I'm obviously more a fan of the spun-off series than the spin-off. ;)

CJBojangles

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:33:04 PM »
The Nanny: Jeopardy! and Hollywood Squares.

The Pyramids

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »
Although I have never seen it, I've read that the '78 ABC sitcom 'Angie' did a 'Family Feud' show w/ Richard Dawson.

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:56:56 PM »
227 had a WOF episode where Jackee and Marla Gibbs went on. Pat gives some explanation that they're having some theme show where neighbors were allowed to compete. The third contestant ends up solving the puzzle by calling only one letter, "Z". Not a very funny episode, but IMO 227 wasn't really that funny to begin with. The same show also had Jackee on Combs' FF, where she answers every fast money question with "A man".

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 08:01:31 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'180963\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 07:45 PM\']
Although I have never seen it, I've read that the '78 ABC sitcom 'Angie' did a 'Family Feud' show w/ Richard Dawson.
[/quote]
From what I remember reading at ATGS, it was "Feud" in name only, and they never used the actual set.

-I remember 90210 doing an episode centered around "Jeopardy", but like "Golden Girls", it featured more dream sequence than anything.
-An early-90s movie called "Breaking the Rules" featured a contestant who planned to appear on the show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

joker316

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »
The Doris Day movie "It Happened To Jane" not only featured IGAS and all participants (Moore, Cullen, Morgan, Palmer, Myerson); but was a prominant part of the story (about a NE widow against a train magnate played by Ernie Kovacs. Day appears on IGAS with her tale.) Also, in a small role as a reporter was Gene Rayburn.

IIRC it is the only time you can see the early 60's IGAS set in color.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

mcsittel

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'180968\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 06:56 PM\']
227 had a WOF episode where Jackee and Marla Gibbs went on. Pat gives some explanation that they're having some theme show where neighbors were allowed to compete. The third contestant ends up solving the puzzle by calling only one letter, "Z". Not a very funny episode, but IMO 227 wasn't really that funny to begin with. The same show also had Jackee on Combs' FF, where she answers every fast money question with "A man".
[/quote]

How about "Gimme A Break!" with Nell and Addy on WOF.  Can't recall if it was this or 227 that had the incorrect solve "Give Me Liberty or Give Me A Car".

Jeopardy: "White Men Can't Jump".

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'180987\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 09:04 PM\']
How about "Gimme A Break!" with Nell and Addy on WOF.  Can't recall if it was this or 227 that had the incorrect solve "Give Me Liberty or Give Me A Car".
[/quote]
The former.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dzinkin

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'180969\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 08:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'180963\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 07:45 PM\']
[/quote]
From what I remember reading at ATGS, it was "Feud" in name only, and they never used the actual set.
[/quote]
I saw the show when ABC reran Angie in the mornings, and you're right, the real set wasn't used.