Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regis to get Lifetime Achievement Emmy...  (Read 951 times)

weaklink75

Regis to get Lifetime Achievement Emmy...
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »
At the Daytime awards this June...

Good for him-hopefully Million Dollar Password is a good addition to his career....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:42:44 PM by weaklink75 »

lobster

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'180885\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 12:41 PM\']

Good for him-hopefully Million Dollar Password is a good addition to his career....
[/quote]

it says "Said NATAS prexy Peter Price: "Regis Philbin has perfected the unscripted, spontaneous banter that has now become a staple of the talkshow genre. Dozens of shows have tried to duplicate it over the years but no one does it better than Regis."" .. maybe I'm too much a young'n (just turned 34, hah) but all throughout my childhood I do NOT remember ever seeing him on TV in the morning, only the Today Show and GMA stand out as the prevalent morning chatfests..  

I see he has an insanely long IMDB listing, but there must have been long windows of time between steady morning gigs .. was he really that much of a legend before the whole Kathie Lee bit?

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'180927\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 03:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'180885\' date=\'Mar 11 2008, 12:41 PM\']

[/quote]

it says "Said NATAS prexy Peter Price: "Regis Philbin has perfected the unscripted, spontaneous banter that has now become a staple of the talkshow genre. Dozens of shows have tried to duplicate it over the years but no one does it better than Regis."" .. maybe I'm too much a young'n (just turned 34, hah) but all throughout my childhood I do NOT remember ever seeing him on TV in the morning, only the Today Show and GMA stand out as the prevalent morning chatfests..  

I see he has an insanely long IMDB listing, but there must have been long windows of time between steady morning gigs .. was he really that much of a legend before the whole Kathie Lee bit?
[/quote]

More of a punchline than a legend, but the "AM Los Angeles" show in the 70s on KABC is where he codified the whole mid-morning gabfest format and "host chat" (with, among others, Cyndy Garvey and "Better Sex" co-host Sarah Purcell--this was her first big gig).  After his failed NBC series, he went to New York and started doing on WABC "The Morning Show" with Kathie Lee.  That went into syndication as "Live!" and the rest is history.  (David Letterman's support and jabs didn't hurt, either.)