Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrities on Game Shows  (Read 13189 times)

Matt Ottinger

Celebrities on Game Shows
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' post=\'180438\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 03:00 PM\']So, using Bob Stewart's definition, would this guy qualify?[/quote]
Good lord, no.  It's been scientifically proven by Wikipedia that I'm not a celebrity.  Honestly, complete strangers discussed and debated whether or not my life has meaning, and ultimately decided it does not.  This, BTW, is not a procedure I would recommend to anyone with any kind of ego.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180437\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 02:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'180432\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 02:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'180406\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 12:03 PM\'](and Eddie Hodges, if you consider becoming a child star in a Broadway show "celebrity").[/quote]Eddie also had a movie, TV, and recording career (including a film with Frank Sinatra), so I would say he qualifies.[/quote]
I don't know, I think a lot of the names we've mentioned strain the idea of 'celebrity' even more than Bob Stewart did in the waning years of The $25,000 Pyramid.  My uncle was a working actor in New York for fifty years, with Broadway, film and television credits on his resume, but there's a difference between 'working actor' and 'celebrity'.
[/quote]Let's put it this way:  I recognized Hodges's name and knew a few things about him without having to look him up.  I would think others did likewise.  At least during the mid-fifties to mid-sixties he probably qualified as a celebrity to some small degree.

On the other hand, we may find that we have trouble defining "celebrity" definitively just as we have with defining "game show."  One person's celebrity may be another person's has-been (or never was).  I agree, though, that there have been a few stretches in this thread, and depending on your perspective Eddie Hodges may be one of them.

The flip side of this discussion is:  How many "celebrities" do we know almost exclusively from their appearances on game shows?  How many do we think of as celebrities only because the announcers or emcees of those shows called them "celebrities" or "stars"?  Brett Somers and Nipsey Russell, just to take two examples, would probably be known today about as well as Eddie Hodges if they hadn't been on game shows for years.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2008, 03:26:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'180441\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 03:14 PM\']Let's put it this way:  I recognized Hodges's name and knew a few things about him without having to look him up.  I would think others did likewise.  At least during the mid-fifties to mid-sixties he probably qualified as a celebrity to some small degree.[/quote]
Fair enough, and I freely admit Hodges was not the best example in this thread.  I consider myself to be pretty savvy when it comes to show business 'celebrity', and I'd never heard of many of the names that have been mentioned, and still didn't know who they were after seeing their IMDB listings.

Meanwhile, yeah, I could name several non-game credits for Brett and Nipsey but you're right (and especially with Brett), it's only because I was already predisposed to be aware of their careers because I knew them from game shows.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
We do not, however, fark around when it comes to English toffee. :)
I await the day when it rains Almond Roca.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'180444\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 12:38 PM\']
We do not, however, fark around when it comes to English toffee. :)
I await the day when it rains Almond Roca.
[/quote]
"Holy shite! There are cat turds falling out of the sky!"

"Um, no, it's ok! <crunch!>"

<woman faints>

/http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4118/spacklerdl4.jpg
//approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe