Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew gets a big thumbs up...  (Read 2225 times)

Matt Ottinger

Drew gets a big thumbs up...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'180433\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 02:11 PM\']
He's the "un-Barker," and that's what makes him so great, according to MSNBC contributor Mary Beth Ellis.[/quote]
You know, she takes some unnecessary cheap shots at the genre (not many, but a few), but all in all, that's a very well-written and insightful article.  For all the bashing Rich Fields gets, the idea that he's the holdover to the traditional style, freeing Carey to not have to carry that torch, is pretty perceptive.

Now that he's been doing it a while, my basic knock on Drew is that he's trying WAY too hard to look like he's not trying very hard.  He's had plenty of time to learn the games, so it's obvious that he's studiously trying to avoid following the scripted lines and counting on his basic understanding and limited improv skills (he's a fan of improv, not a master) to get him through.  And that's why when he NEEDS to say a line as written ("Help control the pet population...") it comes off as awkward.

Having said that, I think he's exactly what the show needed.  A blandly slick host would have ended up being compared unfavorably to Barker.  Drew's managed to avoid that.  Good for him.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180436\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 02:34 PM\']
Now that he's been doing it a while, my basic knock on Drew is that he's trying WAY too hard to look like he's not trying very hard.  He's had plenty of time to learn the games, so it's obvious that he's studiously trying to avoid following the scripted lines...
[/quote]

Interesting point.  I would mind at all if he could explain a game in somewhat smoother detail, rather than sort of blurt out everything all at once.  E.g., for Let 'em Roll, "Roll these five cubes; if you get cars on all of them, you win the car."  After the first roll, then discuss the buyout.  It might help to keep a nervous contestant--and aren't they all--on-track.
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180436\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 11:34 AM\']You know, she takes some unnecessary cheap shots at the genre (not many, but a few), but all in all, that's a very well-written and insightful article. [/quote] I was looking, and I didn't find any shots at all, unless you count her poking fun at the Showcase podiums, or contestants rolling around on the floor. But even then...

Now that he's been doing it a while, my basic knock on Drew is that he's trying WAY too hard to look like he's not trying very hard.  He's had plenty of time to learn the games, so it's obvious that he's studiously trying to avoid following the scripted lines and counting on his basic understanding and limited improv skills (he's a fan of improv, not a master) to get him through.  And that's why when he NEEDS to say a line as written ("Help control the pet population...") it comes off as awkward.
This, right here, is my one criticism of him. I noticed during the pricing game explanations, he'll repeat himself, as if he was groping for the next major point of his game.

I don't mind spontaneity, after all, you'd never see Bob lock arms with a contestant and dance while the yodely guy marches off to his doom while the audience keeps the beat. Drew is great in interacting with the contestants, and that's a big reason I like watching the show again. But having a script for each game isn't a bad thing. If you treat the game as if someone at home is watching for the first time, there are some major points to hit for each element. Making sure that the host emphasizes that you add up the prices in Grocery Game, and can buy as many of each item as you want would be good things to say every time. Rules rundown is not the time for an ad-lib.
Travis L. Eberle

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:54:57 PM »
From the linked article:
"hitting the studio floor in delighted shock when there's a double Showcase Showdown win"
Ahhhhhhhh! It's the Showcase. Sans Showdown. The Showcase Showdown is where they spin the wheel.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »
I'll have to be honest, while I'm OK with Drew as the host, my mother isn't. The ultimate vindication for Drew Carey would be a Best Game Show Emmy at the Daytime Emmys. I really hope he wins it this year.

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'180476\' date=\'Mar 7 2008, 09:55 PM\']
I'll have to be honest, ..................[/quote]
Nobody cares.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »
The one big change ... Drew takes a second to chat with the contestant after the pricing game is over. And that means a lot (at least to me).
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.