Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $OTC Question  (Read 5407 times)

Sodboy13

$OTC Question
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »
On Perry $OTC, I could swear that I saw - at least once - a player bottom out at zero.  That player was then tossed for the rest of the game, and it was a two-person contest the rest of the way.

Thing is, am I really remembering that?  I haven't seen any mention of that rule on Ye Olde Internets.  I first found my "memory" called into question last summer, watching Aussie Temptation, when a 15-year-old contestant hit the goose egg, and kept playing on (and kept getting questions wrong, IIRC.)  Am I perhaps just mixing up my memory of the actual show with the board game, which instructed players to sit out if they went below $10?

Anyone out there who's got a clearer rememberance on this than me, feel free.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

HairMetalLives

$OTC Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »
I have one episode where a player went below zero, but it was during the Speed Round. She had four dollars and answered incorrectly; her scoring display was then blanked. I thought that was kind of weird.

Kevin Prather

$OTC Question
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
When we play Sale online at Palace, bottoming out at zero does not eliminate a player. The game is moderated by Dustin Dumovich, who is a pretty good authority on the show, and likes keeping his game true to the show.

snowpeck

$OTC Question
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »
Hmm... Palace rules/actual game show rules... not exactly an equal comparison there...

Anyhow, as I understood it, if you bottomed out in the main game you could continue playing.  On the other hand, if that happened in the Speed Round, you would be eliminated.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
$OTC Question
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:40:18 PM »
That doesn't make any sense. They wouldn't toss them when they had the time to explain so in the main game, but with a clock running, it'll make sense to the viewer when that particular player is out entirely?

I was corrected on this rule some time ago by somebody with tapes. The players weren't eliminated - at least on the Perry version.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

snowpeck

$OTC Question
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
That would make more sense.  I wonder how many times that actually happened on the show.

Greg
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

TimK2003

$OTC Question
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' post=\'178247\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 08:05 PM\']
I have one episode where a player went below zero, but it was during the Speed Round. She had four dollars and answered incorrectly; her scoring display was then blanked. I thought that was kind of weird.
[/quote]

ISTR one main game earlier in the Perry era when a contestant early on went down to $10 or $15 below zero before getting above ground again, and I could swear that they had displayed their score as $-xx (much like Jeopardy scores).

TheGameShowGuy

$OTC Question
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »
I recall the scoreboard going blank in the Perry version and the contestant kept playing. I also recall that on the Joe Garagiola verson (before they went with couples) a player went below zero..the scoreboard blanked out and Joe said "you can stay there and relax,you're out of the game".

HYHYBT

$OTC Question
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 02:39:48 AM »
I vaguely remember something about, instead of making that player's score less than 0 they added 5 to both other players... but it's vague enough that I don't know whether I actually saw it happen (probably in the USA reruns) or just read it somewhere online long ago.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Kevin Prather

$OTC Question
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 03:39:36 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'178261\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 05:28 PM\']
Hmm... Palace rules/actual game show rules... not exactly an equal comparison there...
[/quote]
Reread my post. The part about Dustin being a good authority on the show. I'm not saying Palace rules = the show's rules always, but with Dustin's SotC, it's pretty darn close.

Craig Karlberg

$OTC Question
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:09:25 AM »
I never like to see negative scores on game shows because it makes bad players look even worse than what they were.  ISTR Perry mentioning on Headline Hunters that "once you reach 0, you can never go below it".  I like that rule.  That makes me wonder how many other shows implemented that rule in shows where penalties are part of the game.  I can tokerate some negative scores on J!, but since very few players actually finish "in the red" these days, I guess I'll let that slide.  Of course I can still hear Art Flemming encourage players to "get out of that minua" on the original J!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
$OTC Question
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:39:07 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'178298\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 12:39 AM\']
[/quote]
Reread my post. The part about Dustin being a good authority on the show. I'm not saying Palace rules = the show's rules always, but with Dustin's SotC, it's pretty darn close.
[/quote]
It's also, unsurprisingly considering Dustin's dedication to the game, correct. I distinctly remember a player bottoming out at $0 and being told he can't go below there and to buckle down and build himself back up.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

$OTC Question
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
In Perry's $ale, I have an episode where a contestant went down to zero. She couldn't go below it, and when she bottomed out, the readout went blank. Jas still played on in the Speed Round.

I actually have that episode...it was in 1984 during the home viewer dollar contest.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

snowpeck

$OTC Question
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'178298\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 03:39 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Just a small attempt at humor there, didn't mean anything by it.

Greg

uncamark

$OTC Question
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TheGameShowGuy\' post=\'178279\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 10:32 PM\']
I recall the scoreboard going blank in the Perry version and the contestant kept playing. I also recall that on the Joe Garagiola verson (before they went with couples) a player went below zero..the scoreboard blanked out and Joe said "you can stay there and relax,you're out of the game".
[/quote]

At another time, I remember in the original version when the player ran out of money, Joe gave them another $20, but also gave $20 to the contestant's opponents.