Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TTD Beat the Dragon and S and P question  (Read 12361 times)

lobster

TTD Beat the Dragon and S and P question
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 11:30:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' post=\'178223\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 03:32 PM\']
Admittedly, it has come up in #6 somewhat frequently in recent days, but I'm sure the distribution will all balance out at some point.  
[/quote]

Muahaha, you just watch :D

thanks for collectin the stats

lobster

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 11:34:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'178230\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 04:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' post=\'178223\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 01:32 PM\']
Through the 2/18 show, the bonus round has been played 46 times.  Below is the frequency of the dragon:
#1 - 1  #2 - 9  #3 - 1  #4 - 5  #5 - 9
#6 - 7  #7 - 4  #8 - 1  #9 - 8  unknown - 1
[/quote]
That's an interesting spread. I would be really interested to see how it compares to the same spread after 100 plays. If it's still heavy towards #2, #5 #6, and #9 at that point I'd say we definitely have something here. :)
[/quote]

I'd like $20 on #6 straight to win, and I'll do a $1 box trifecta on 2, 6, and 9 please   :[]

/jai alai > horseracing

lobster

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 11:44:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'178245\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 05:40 PM\']
Also, it's interesting to read that I'm not the only elementary school kid who thought the dragon spent a good portion of his time behind box 6.
[/quote]

Hah, thank you -- now I don't feel like SO much of a dope for suggesting it .. but really, for a long time throughout my childhood I disliked the number 6 because of that :p ...  It really happened often enough to be memorable to me.. we'll see what the stats say!

TraderRob

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 10:54:11 AM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'178281\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 12:44 AM\']
ah, thank you -- now I don't feel like SO much of a dope for suggesting it .. but really, for a long time throughout my childhood I disliked the number 6 because of that :p ...  It really happened often enough to be memorable to me.. we'll see what the stats say!
[/quote]

I watched Tuesday's show on DVR when I got home last night and I cracked up when the dragon ended up behind #6.

I will report again when we get up to 100 bonus games.

tvmitch

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' post=\'178323\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 10:54 AM\']
I watched Tuesday's show on DVR when I got home last night and I cracked up when the dragon ended up behind #6.

I will report again when we get up to 100 bonus games.
[/quote]
My wife watches this show with me every night after I TiVo it, and last night, when we were watching, and the dragon was behind #6, I told her, "SEE? I told you so. The dragon is always behind number 6."

Cue the arguing back and forth, but I know I'm right from watching endless reruns of the show from the USA days and when I was a wee tot.

Other things I remember thinking about the show when I was 7 years old, watching shows that are further in the run than where we are now:
-There was never a red category in the middle box. I'd be willing to bet a fair sum of money on this.
-I remember that the shows without red categories were waaaay boring, and wondering why the contestants wouldn't choose a red category just for fun. (Twenty years later, this is obviously a silly thought, and I appreciate now that the categories themselves have a lot to do with the game play.)
-I remember wondering why the contestants would hope for a TIC TAC win in the bonus because they have the potential to win MORE than $1,000 when they pick a combo like 500-400-150-300, or something. (Again, a silly thought.)
-I remember being excited once those big red lockins were added to the contestant podia.
-And, most importantly, the dragon is always behind #6 and very rarely behind #5.
You should follow me on Twitter

lobster

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'178346\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 01:17 PM\']
-And, most importantly, the dragon is always behind #6 and very rarely behind #5.
[/quote]

I knew I wasn't crazy :D

I'm going to venture to say that after 100 games are compiled by traderrob, at least 20 of them will be #6.. that's right, you heard it here first, one fifth!  now accepting wagers  :D

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'178346\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 02:17 PM\']-There was never a red category in the middle box. I'd be willing to bet a fair sum of money on this.[/quote]
Definitely. It would be very confusing to play, say, Top This with a two-part question.

--
Scott Robinson

TimK2003

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 11:01:40 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'178346\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 03:17 PM\']

Other things I remember thinking about the show when I was 7 years old, watching shows that are further in the run than where we are now:
-There was never a red category in the middle box. I'd be willing to bet a fair sum of money on this.

[/quote]

You bet right.  Lets put it this way:

If a red box ever appeared in the center square on a Caldwell TTD, Jim would've short-circuited and his head would have exploded, just like a Fem-Bot!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 11:02:02 AM »
As with all game show sets, the original TTD board was built with CBS money. I doubt it was cheap having hired an outside consultant from Apple. When it was cancelled and B&E took it to syndication, either it had been amortized over its short run and B&E owned it, or CBS owned it and B&E bought it outright or leased it back from CBS. Either way, as the years went by I doubt B&E cared to put money into upgrading the technology with state-of-the-art 5 1/4" floppy drives.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:03:40 AM by chris319 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 11:22:25 PM »
I don't suppose anyone collecting all these stats can confirm or deny my memory, from watching Game Show Network in the late '90s, that there were early episodes of Wink TTD where the nine categories always took the same path through the 9 boxes? I don't want to think I'm going crazy (too late), but I would've thought someone else would have corroborated my memory by now.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Unrealtor

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'178486\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 10:22 PM\']
I don't suppose anyone collecting all these stats can confirm or deny my memory, from watching Game Show Network in the late '90s, that there were early episodes of Wink TTD where the nine categories always took the same path through the 9 boxes? I don't want to think I'm going crazy (too late), but I would've thought someone else would have corroborated my memory by now.
[/quote]

No proof here (I no longer have GSN,) but I seem to remember that it was predictable, too. Mostly, I noticed that the red boxes would always align along one of the edges of the board after the first shuffle, since they always started in the same three spots.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'178493\' date=\'Feb 21 2008, 08:58 PM\']
No proof here (I no longer have GSN,) but I seem to remember that it was predictable, too. Mostly, I noticed that the red boxes would always align along one of the edges of the board after the first shuffle, since they always started in the same three spots.
[/quote]
As we have said many times before, truly random patterns look BAD on TV. It would surprised me not at all to find that there was some sort of predetermined rotation(s) in place, especially considering you NEVER saw a box pop up in the same box it left when they shuffled. (or did you? I sure don't remember that happening.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:02:15 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2008, 02:23:12 AM »
To clarify: this was the pre-red-box era, and you would probably have to be looking for a pattern to notice it, but it was terribly un-random.

The pattern that I saw (or thought I saw) was something like 5-1-4-3-2-9-7-6-8-5; whichever of those boxes a category was in, it would be in the next one down the line after a shuffle. This applied to all the categories--imagine someone doing a weird Connect the Dots to the boxes, and all the categories were "stuck" on that line. I remember being confident enough of what I had found that I could predict with certainty where categories would be after each shuffle.

But, again, the disclaimer--anything I remember from 10 years ago is doubtful on its face.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Casey

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »
Only because I just saw it happen, at the top of the show yesterday, they showed all 9 categories, then placed the boxes that were already claimed on the board.  The first shuffle after that mixed them up a bit, but the second shuffle had everything back where they were at the beginning.  

Also - in the eps we are seeing so far, if they resume a game in progress on a show, the categories don't shuffle when they place the X's and O's on the board until after the first question is asked - meaning the categories aren't in the same place they were at the end of the previous show.   Would there have been any S&P concerns about that?  Or would they just have called that a "shuffle" back to the original layout ?

TraderRob

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 12:27:49 AM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' post=\'178223\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 04:32 PM\']
Through the 2/18 show, the bonus round has been played 46 times.  Below is the frequency of the dragon:

#1 - 1
#2 - 9
#3 - 1
#4 - 5
#5 - 9
#6 - 7
#7 - 4
#8 - 1
#9 - 8
unknown - 1
[/quote]

Ok, all, as promised, I'm back now that we've played 100 bonus games.  As of the Friday, 4/25 show (B-082), the bonus game has now been played 102 times.   That unknown game from B-015 still exists plus there were two shows skipped by GSN from the Over 80 Tourney, but I think this will still give us a decent representation.

#1 - 4
#2 - 22
#3 - 3
#4 - 7
#5 - 14
#6 - 24
#7 - 7
#8 - 9
#9 - 11
unknown - 1

So 2, 5, 6 and 9 remain the 4 numbers that have had the dragon appear the most number of times.