Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Match Game is possibly coming back..  (Read 14315 times)

cmjb13

The Match Game is possibly coming back..
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2008, 02:05:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'187530\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 11:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'187528\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 10:37 PM\']Set is built to match the 1978 set, so on the surface it looks like they are trying.[/quote]
Trying what, exactly?  Are we so hopelessly trapped by our nostalgia that the fact they're not updating a 30-year-old set is cause for celebrating?  I would remind you that the Match Game (and for that matter, Price Is Right) that everybody adores was a successful update of an earlier version.
[/quote]
A very good source who knows the game well said that keeping the set in the 70's was the only way it would work.

And for the record, I was never a fan of Match Game.

[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'187533\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 11:29 PM\']
It's from the same person who was excited about banjo music on a high tech neon flashy set for Feud so it's not that big of a surprise to be excited about having a set that's outdated technology-wise by at least two decades.[/quote]
Not really sure where this came from. I never said I was excited about the set. I just stated they were trying.

Apology accepted :)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'187540\' date=\'Jun 5 2008, 02:05 AM\']A very good source who knows the game well said that keeping the set in the 70's was the only way it would work.[/quote]
I keep reading this sentence, and it keeps not making sense. If they replaced it with (for instance) the Match Game '90 set, what possible part of it couldn't work, that could with the other set?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'187562\' date=\'Jun 5 2008, 07:07 PM\']I keep reading this sentence, and it keeps not making sense. If they replaced it with (for instance) the Match Game '90 set, what possible part of it couldn't work, that could with the other set?[/quote]
The way I interpret the comment is that they decided that the show itself is simply a product of the seventies, and that the only way for it to work is as a kitschy throwback to that earlier time, set included.  Because yeah, functionally, there's absolutely no reason why the set has to look exactly the same as it did in 1978 for the game to "work".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'187567\' date=\'Jun 5 2008, 04:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'187562\' date=\'Jun 5 2008, 07:07 PM\']I keep reading this sentence, and it keeps not making sense. If they replaced it with (for instance) the Match Game '90 set, what possible part of it couldn't work, that could with the other set?[/quote]
The way I interpret the comment is that they decided that the show itself is simply a product of the seventies, and that the only way for it to work is as a kitschy throwback to that earlier time, set included.  Because yeah, functionally, there's absolutely no reason why the set has to look exactly the same as it did in 1978 for the game to "work".
[/quote]
It is a known fact that Match Game questions are much funnier when read into a Sony ECM-51 microphone. One of the things we tried in 1980 to make MG more saleable for another season was a test in studio 33 in which Gene used a Shure SM59 AND a Shure SM61:

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/publi...pro_sm61_ug.pdf

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/publi...pro_sm59_ug.pdf

These mics were used on Tattletales and nighttime TPIR at various times, but sh*t howdy, they didn't work one whit on Match Game. Gene could be heard just fine, but the questions weren't as funny, the audience didn't laugh once, and there was NOT ONE MATCH during the entire game. Both rounds ended with a score of zero to zero (yes Scott, the readouts were blank). Everyone at G-T and CBS was stumped, so we stuck with the trusty ECM-51.

Of course it has to be Gene Rayburn reading the questions into the ECM-51, but that's beside the point. For this revival they will have to exhume Gene Rayburn as well but that, too, is beside the point.

The Game Show Marathon version of MG was far, far better than MG '98 for the following reasons:

- No Judy Tenuta

- Better material

- Better panelists (except Bruce Vilanch was no CNR)

- Did I mention that there was no Judy Tenuta?

Ricki was just OK.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:21:44 PM by chris319 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'187572\' date=\'Jun 5 2008, 06:21 PM\']
The Game Show Marathon version of MG was far, far better than MG '98 for the following reasons:

- No Judy Tenuta

- Better material

- Better panelists (except Bruce Vilanch was no CNR)

- Did I mention that there was no Judy Tenuta?

Ricki was just OK.
[/quote]
And don't forget Ricki had the ECM-51!

Chief-O

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2008, 10:38:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'187572\' date=\'Jun 5 2008, 08:21 PM\']
It is a known fact that Match Game questions are much funnier when read into a Sony ECM-51 microphone. One of the things we tried in 1980 to make MG more saleable for another season was a test in studio 33 in which Gene used a Shure SM59 AND a Shure SM61:
[links snipped]
These mics were used on Tattletales and nighttime TPIR at various times, but sh*t howdy, they didn't work one whit on Match Game. Gene could be heard just fine, but the questions weren't as funny, the audience didn't laugh once, and there was NOT ONE MATCH during the entire game. Both rounds ended with a score of zero to zero (yes Scott, the readouts were blank). Everyone at G-T and CBS was stumped, so we stuck with the trusty ECM-51.

Of course it has to be Gene Rayburn reading the questions into the ECM-51, but that's beside the point. For this revival they will have to exhume Gene Rayburn as well but that, too, is beside the point.
[/quote]

You win at Life.
.....and it goes like this!!!

pyramid100

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 11:43:43 PM »
did anyone realize in that shiatsu clip from MG 98 that oscar is the guy that plays homeland security from Reno 911! and the gay accountant from the office. his name is oscar nunez

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:32 AM »
And don't forget Ricki had the ECM-51!
Proof positive! I didn't tell anyone at the time, but Fremantle paid me a six-figure consulting fee just to share with them the info about the mic test. Some of the old-timers at CBS remember it but they wanted much more money.

Offshored2007

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2008, 10:27:33 AM »
With Bill Engvall in the CNR spot.
I can just see it now - all TBS celebs (ugh).  Engvall can then pause Match Game '08 in mid-question to promote his own show!

bclark71

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'187530\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 11:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'187528\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 10:37 PM\']Set is built to match the 1978 set, so on the surface it looks like they are trying.[/quote]
Trying what, exactly?  Are we so hopelessly trapped by our nostalgia that the fact they're not updating a 30-year-old set is cause for celebrating?  I would remind you that the Match Game (and for that matter, Price Is Right) that everybody adores was a successful update of an earlier version.
[/quote]

With 956 channels and people channel-surfing from one end of the dial to the other, there could be some value in making this thing look as much like the most-remembered version of Match Game so that someone passing by might recognize it and stop in.

TimK2003

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2008, 08:53:44 PM »
A very good source who knows the game well said that keeping the set in the 70's was the only way it would work.
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'187567\' date=\'Jun 5 2008, 07:42 PM\']
[/quote]

IF Fremantle still has the MG'06 set from the Game Show Marathon stashed in some warehouse and IF MG did resurface as a new incarnation...

-- Would this explain why the source said what they said, or do we know if the GSM set long gone???

-- Would the majority of the Invision-ers be happy with that set being reused in a regular series, or what would they tweak about the GSM set???

After re-watching the MG'06 tape, I thought the set looked good, though not as roomy as the original.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:54:17 PM by TimK2003 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'187993\' date=\'Jun 11 2008, 08:53 PM\']
-- Would this explain why the source said what they said, or do we know if the GSM set long gone???
[/quote]

Based on this, it hit the dumpster after the taping. Not to say they didn't save the plans, or the set itself after that, but...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'187993\' date=\'Jun 11 2008, 08:53 PM\']
-- Would the majority of the Invision-ers be happy with that set being reused in a regular series, or what would they tweak about the GSM set???
[/quote]
Speaking for myself, they could honestly do the show with a cardboard background, school desks for contestants, and lunchroom tables for the panel...I care about the execution. They did a great job with Marathon; watch the tapes to get an idea on how to do this...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2008, 01:14:54 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'187993\' date=\'Jun 11 2008, 05:53 PM\']IF Fremantle still has the MG'06 set from the Game Show Marathon stashed in some warehouse and IF MG did resurface as a new incarnation...-- Would the majority of the Invision-ers be happy with that set being reused in a regular series, or what would they tweak about the GSM set???[/quote]I don't see whether a majority of Invisioners liking the show based on whether or not the original set was being used will have any bearing on what the show does???

If they wanna go kitschy, they'll do that. If they don't, it won't matter. I believe the esteemed Mr. Foster-Gray (that's with a hyphen and an "A", thanks) covered my points for me. Match Game lives or dies on the questions, not the set.

OY!!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:15:24 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'188014\' date=\'Jun 12 2008, 01:14 AM\']
If they wanna go kitschy, they'll do that. If they don't, it won't matter. I believe the esteemed Mr. Foster-Gray (that's with a hyphen and an "A", thanks) covered my points for me. Match Game lives or dies on the questions, not the set.
[/quote]

Wasn't it said way back when, when the ill-fated Charlene Tilton pilot was shot, that the questions were just like the original MG'7x, but everything else blew chunks?

/And I never cared much for Charlene Tilton's "set" either!