Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Match Game is possibly coming back..  (Read 14317 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Match Game is possibly coming back..
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2008, 11:56:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'179844\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 08:40 PM\']
Possibly.  I'd also be willing to bet that a significant fraction of the panel is going to be from TBS's own shows.
[/quote]
With Bill Engvall in the CNR spot.

/here's your sign
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:57:18 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

narzo

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2008, 12:28:08 AM »
I hate to be Ned Negative here but I've got warning bells going off in my head.  Part of the reason MG was the cultural phenom it was is that it pushed the limits of TV, in the 70's.  Saying "boobie" was so new that people giggled, now just think of the body parts that they would be using as answers to attempt to get that "giggle" but would just get the PTC starting a campaign against the show.  

Someone put it very well on the radio last week, the "era of 'tee-hee' television is dead".

You had the right panel, the right place, the right era.  This is one show that should just live on in reruns and never be brought to pilot again.

lobster

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2008, 11:28:58 AM »
If anyone remembers the "I didn't do it boy" episode of the Simpsons a loooong time ago (maybe season 3 or 4) they parodied MG in a funny take on how much of a train wreck it'd be when they eventually bring it back to television in the future... from what I remember, Bart's new-found fame went to his head which led him to having a bad dream that he was on "Match Game 2034" and surrounding him were the heads of then-dead celebs in those Futurama-style jars of liquid..

per online-land the celebs' heads in jars were:
Billy Crystal
Farrah Fawcet-Majors-O'neal-Varney
Ventriloquist Loni Anderson
Spike Lee
The Always Lovely and Vivacious Head of Kitty Carlisle
:D

funny how even in '94-ish the general perception was that match game will eventually and annoyingly wash ashore again and again in the distant future..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:29:25 AM by lobster »

Neumms

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'179847\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 12:28 AM\']
Someone put it very well on the radio last week, the "era of 'tee-hee' television is dead".

You had the right panel, the right place, the right era.  This is one show that should just live on in reruns and never be brought to pilot again.
[/quote]

The titters were funny the first year or two, but it was the humor of the panel and host that kept us coming back. There were funny questions for which the answer wouldn't be boobs or the male genitalia. And if they want to work blue, instead of "John puts butter on his ______" maybe it's "John puts _______ on his wiener."

While sadly that host and panel aren't coming back, maybe there's another group that could make the format fun. Heck, it's better this than the real Gilligan's Island.

uncamark

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'179865\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 10:35 AM\']
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'179847\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 12:28 AM\']

[/quote]

The titters were funny the first year or two, but it was the humor of the panel and host that kept us coming back. There were funny questions for which the answer wouldn't be boobs or the male genitalia. And if they want to work blue, instead of "John puts butter on his ______" maybe it's "John puts _______ on his wiener."

While sadly that host and panel aren't coming back, maybe there's another group that could make the format fun. Heck, it's better this than the real Gilligan's Island.
[/quote]

And if Jimmy Pardo's unauthorized live version in LA is clicking (and Rich Prouty's unauthorized live version in Chicago is actually clicking, although it's unlikely his ragtag mob of Chicago improvers would get on TV), it's possible that you could get a group of panel with the right chemistry, although I know it would be hard.  But in a late-night world where there's a lot less spontaneity in the talk shows than there used to be, I would think that a show that was genuinely spontaneous and funny would draw a crowd--if they can get the producers who will let the show be spontaneous.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'179845\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 10:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'179844\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 08:40 PM\']
Possibly.  I'd also be willing to bet that a significant fraction of the panel is going to be from TBS's own shows.
[/quote]
With Bill Engvall in the CNR spot.

/here's your sign
[/quote]
You know what's sad?  I actually got kinda excited about this.

/Yeah, I'm a Blue-Collar kinda guy.
//You got a problem with that?

clemon79

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 11:50:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'180196\' date=\'Mar 5 2008, 07:22 PM\']
You know what's sad?  I actually got kinda excited about this.

/Yeah, I'm a Blue-Collar kinda guy.
//You got a problem with that?
[/quote]
Not sad in the least. He'd probably be the bright spot on a panel show on TBS.

cmjb13

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »
Pilot is set to tape in Studio 33 later this month.

Set is built to match the 1978 set, so on the surface it looks like they are trying.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:38:12 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2008, 10:58:01 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'187528\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 07:37 PM\']
Set is built to match the 1978 set, so on the surface it looks like they are trying.
[/quote]
That's the confederate set, right?

/What?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'187528\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 10:37 PM\']Set is built to match the 1978 set, so on the surface it looks like they are trying.[/quote]
Trying what, exactly?  Are we so hopelessly trapped by our nostalgia that the fact they're not updating a 30-year-old set is cause for celebrating?  I would remind you that the Match Game (and for that matter, Price Is Right) that everybody adores was a successful update of an earlier version.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'187530\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 08:11 PM\']
Trying what, exactly?  Are we so hopelessly trapped by our nostalgia[/quote]
Are you new here? :)

itiparanoid13

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »
Trying what, exactly? Are we so hopelessly trapped by our nostalgia that the fact they're not updating a 30-year-old set is cause for celebrating? I would remind you that the Match Game (and for that matter, Price Is Right) that everybody adores was a successful update of an earlier version.

It's from the same person who was excited about banjo music on a high tech neon flashy set for Feud so it's not that big of a surprise to be excited about having a set that's outdated technology-wise by at least two decades.

GSN's I've Got A Secret, to me, was the absolutely perfect example of taking a retro looking set and updating it for modern times.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:33:00 PM by itiparanoid13 »

chad1m

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'187530\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 11:11 PM\']I would remind you that the Match Game (and for that matter, Price Is Right) that everybody adores was a successful update of an earlier version.[/quote]May I remind you that The Joker's Wild '90 and Card Sharks '01 were also "updates" of older shows, too?

clemon79

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2008, 11:36:41 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'187533\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 08:29 PM\']
It's from the same person who was excited about banjo music on a high tech neon flashy set for Feud so it's not that big of a surprise to be excited about having a set that's outdated technology-wise by at least two decades.[/quote]
And *this* is coming from a guy who has said publically that he enjoys watching The Moment Of Truth.

He without sin, etc.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2008, 12:15:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'187530\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 08:11 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'187528\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 10:37 PM\']Set is built to match the 1978 set, so on the surface it looks like they are trying.[/quote]Trying what, exactly?  Are we so hopelessly trapped by our nostalgia that the fact they're not updating a 30-year-old set is cause for celebrating?  I would remind you that the Match Game (and for that matter, Price Is Right) that everybody adores was a successful update of an earlier version.[/quote]You go right on and scoff. I was nearly inconsolable when I found out that Match Game '90 had increased the Super Match payoffs from 500-250-100 to 500-300-200.

Some people just can't handle change, I guess.

One way to look at it is to say "Well, they kept ONE element from the classic version; there's a sliver of hope that they kept something else." But really, if you have questions with blanks in them and a panel of stars writing down their answers, you can't go wrong. (Sure, Match-Up! may have been a time-filling coin-flipping exercise, but you had the filling in of blanks.)
Travis L. Eberle