Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Match Game is possibly coming back..  (Read 14309 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
The Match Game is possibly coming back..
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 10:47:43 AM »
I was familiar with Judy Tenuta for many years before MG98.

The Judy you know was remarkably restrained compared to the Judy of the 1980s.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:12:56 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

whewfan

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
I don't think the MG 98 theme was supposed to have ANY relation to the 70s version, with exception of the "wank guitar" at the start.  On that basis, I think the MG 98 theme was fine, but do I like it better than the original theme, no.

One of the many problems with MG 98 was the lack of variety in terms of the nature of the questions. I swear every other show had a question about Bill Clinton or the male anatomy. It got old! Just the same, the new version shouldn't obsess on questions solely on Britney Spears or President Bush.

Instead of starting the show with 4 regulars, do what MG 7x did and start with maybe one or two regulars. Richard Dawson was the only sole regular when the show started. Brett and Charles weren't regulars until almost a year later! The list of regulars on MG 98 seemed to be "names drawn out of a hat". We have Vicki, the veteran game show panelist. We have Judy Tenuta- the uh... loud mouth stage stealing comedienne, we have Nell Carter, former sit-com star whose only sole existence was to write "pee pee" as an answer to almost all questions, and comment "good answer" (Nell this is NOT Family Feud!) and finally George Hamilton, the classy, aging gentleman.

Dawson was right when he said that stand up comics generally don't work for MG, because they often go for the joke instead of playing the game. MG 98 had Judy Tenuta, Richard Jeni, George Wallace, Kevin James, and others I am sure I am missing.

It would also help if they NEVER book soap stars. Most of the soap stars booked on MG 98 obviously didn't want to be there and were just there for the paycheck. Kin Shriner brought back shades of Richard Dawson MG 78. I saw two eps. of "soap star week" of MG/HS week and that week was both dull and disasterous. Imagine a week of 9 celebs that are squirming in their seats waiting for it to be over. Deidre Hall looked like she was ready to get up and leave at any moment.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'176875\' date=\'Feb 1 2008, 12:09 PM\']
Deidre Hall looked like she was ready to get up and leave at any moment.
[/quote]
Ah, the bitter pill of You're Not Nearly As Famous As You Think. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
Marc Berman's ratings roundup at Mediaweek.com reports TBS is still considering this version for late night.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:04:39 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

weaklink75

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'179704\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 12:01 PM\']
Marc Berman's ratings roundup at Mediaweek.com reports TBS is still considering this version for late night.
[/quote]

They've at least ordered a pilot...it is interesting that it's part of the late-night strategy..and "the network's biggest foray into game shows?" I guess they forgot Starcade...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:34:48 PM by weaklink75 »

calliaume

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'179724\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 02:32 PM\']
it is interesting that it's part of the late-night strategy..and "the network's biggest foray into game shows?" I guess they forgot Starcade...
[/quote]
Almost everyone who isn't on this board has.

I'm willing to give this a shot, and putting it in late night is fine (MG was never really about the money).  Thing is, we can go over all the things wrong with the last version, but the big issue is trying to catch lightning in a bottle again, 35 years later -- chances of that happening ain't great.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 02:14:25 PM »
I'm looking forward to the premiere of Untitled Dave Caplan Series, myself.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »
I'm not a big TBS watcher (their promotions department makes GSN look subtle, if you catch my drift), but this has potential. A few years ago, I remember them showing reruns of a few shows that air on Adult Swim ("Family Guy" and "Futurama" come to mind). They could possibly capture the college and young adult audience, but only if they keep the fart and potty jokes to a minimum*.

Oh, and TBS doesn't squeeze the credits for their late-night stuff. I'm sold. ;-)

(Read: nonexistent)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'179762\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 03:36 PM\']
They could possibly capture the college and young adult audience, but only if they keep the fart and potty jokes to a minimum [/quote]
Maybe I'm missing a subtle point, but why would a college or young-adult audience be turned off by fart and potty jokes?  I'm having a hard tme seeing the boys at the frat house saying how much they wish Match Game would be more sophisticated and upscale to make it worth watching to them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'179765\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 03:54 PM\']
Maybe I'm missing a subtle point, but why would a college or young-adult audience be turned off by fart and potty jokes?  I'm having a hard tme seeing the boys at the frat house saying how much they wish Match Game would be more sophisticated and upscale to make it worth watching to them.
[/quote]
If most of the show were comprised of fart and potty jokes, they might be turned off by the repetition.  Just as I suspect that viewers of the '98 version were probably bored rather than offended by one "peepee" after another.

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2008, 03:59:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'179765\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 03:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'179762\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 03:36 PM\']
They could possibly capture the college and young adult audience, but only if they keep the fart and potty jokes to a minimum [/quote]
[/quote]
Sorry, didn't mean to put the two together. I think they could capture the college crowd, which makes the late-night venture a decent idea.

The fart and potty jokes being kept to a minimum is my personal opinion. ;-)

/The views of fostergray82 do represent this newsgroup!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:00:39 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'179767\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 03:59 PM\']
Sorry, didn't mean to put the two together. I think they could capture the college crowd, which makes the late-night venture a decent idea.

The fart and potty jokes being kept to a minimum is my personal opinion. ;-)[/quote]

That's precisely what I suspected, but I wanted to give you the chance to clear that up.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'179767\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 03:59 PM\']/The views of fostergray82 do represent this newsgroup![/quote]
I've certainly always thought so.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'179767\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 03:59 PM\']
I think they could capture the college crowd, which makes the late-night venture a decent idea.
[/quote]
It's a good idea in terms of designing games for target audiences. Keep in mind though, that this is exactly what Fremantle did when designing Temptation for the female shopper demographic.

And that's what concerns me about this : I have a hunch that this will make the 98 version seem 'tame' by comparison. The difference between the two being, well, I've heard of Nell, George, Judy, and Vicki, and I'll bet good solid weatherman money that, unlike the panel of 11 years ago,  the comics brought in for the panel will largely be unknowns and Last Comic Standing castoffs still looking for their big break.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:21:25 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

trainman

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'179762\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 12:36 PM\']Oh, and TBS doesn't squeeze the credits for their late-night stuff. I'm sold. ;-)[/quote]

However, they do stretch everything for their HD feed.  It looks awful.
trainman is a man of trains

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2008, 11:40:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'179775\' date=\'Mar 3 2008, 04:21 PM\']I'll bet good solid weatherman money that, unlike the panel of 11 years ago,  the comics brought in for the panel will largely be unknowns and Last Comic Standing castoffs still looking for their big break.[/quote]
Possibly.  I'd also be willing to bet that a significant fraction of the panel is going to be from TBS's own shows.
This signature is currently under construction.