Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR  (Read 5981 times)

tvwxman

TPiR
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175767\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 02:55 PM\']
And at least two of the four will be looking at their friends behind them for help until Drew tells them to get on with it.
Then the rule should be that Drew says "three seconds" the way they used to do on FF and the old TPIR. When the buzzer sounds, you'll be standing behind a blank readout and the game will move on.
[/quote]
i LOVE that idea...however, that will in turn quiet down the audience considerably.....would TPIR benefit from the less-carnival-like atmosphere?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Clay Zambo

TPiR
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'175772\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 03:06 PM\']
i LOVE that idea...however, that will in turn quiet down the audience considerably.....would TPIR benefit from the less-carnival-like atmosphere?
[/quote]

Watch a '72 Price today and it seems so damn staid.  Would the game benefit?  Absolutely.  Would the show?  Maybe not so much.

That said, I loved the guy last week who wore a suit--and Drew was classic about it: "Nobody's worn a suit to this show since 1974!"  I say anything that classes up the joint is not a bad thing.
czambo@mac.com

The Pyramids

TPiR
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'175802\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 07:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'175772\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 03:06 PM\']
[/quote]

Watch a '72 Price today and it seems so damn staid.  Would the game benefit?  Absolutely.  Would the show?  Maybe not so much.

That said, I loved the guy last week who wore a suit--and Drew was classic about it: "Nobody's worn a suit to this show since 1974!"  I say anything that classes up the joint is not a bad thing.
[/quote]

I wish I had seen that.

Personal preference, but I don't want to see the carnival atmosphere toned down one iota.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPiR
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 08:11:01 PM »
Gee, ya think? TPIR did quite well for about 25 years without an audience full of laughing hyenas and fratb0is. This was back in the day when they had more than health insurance, diabetes supplies and mobility scooters as advertisers. Do you think my rule would have a beneficial effect on the PACING of the show, which seems to be the chief complaint here?

I can't watch the show any more because I value my high-frequency hearing (and so does one of the cameramen who puts his fingers in his ears). That and the jib shots of every bald spot in the audience. I'll pay $100 to the first person who sits in the audience of a TPIR taping with a curlicue TPIR dollar sign shaved into his/her hair.

The first person who comes dressed as a carrot has to pay ME $100.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:13:52 PM by chris319 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPiR
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 09:25:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175767\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 11:55 AM\']Then the rule should be that Drew says "three seconds" the way they used to do on FF and the old TPIR. When the buzzer sounds, you'll be standing behind a blank readout and the game will move on.[/quote]How is it that TPIR gets away with a crowd of 330 people screaming out their answer, as opposed to no other show that I can think of? On LMAD, Monty would even warn against that, saying that an answer from the floor would invalidate the deal.

The crowd can't call out stuff during Clock Game; I don't see how it would be that hard to extend such a rule to the rest of the show.

[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'175802\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 03:57 PM\']That said, I loved the guy last week who wore a suit--and Drew was classic about it: "Nobody's worn a suit to this show since 1974!"  I say anything that classes up the joint is not a bad thing.[/quote]I'm not disgusted by a contestant who chooses to show up to the studio in whatever TPIR costume that they threw together, but it is indeed refreshing to see someone wearing nice clothes and all.

[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'175803\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 04:13 PM\']Personal preference, but I don't want to see the carnival atmosphere toned down one iota.[/quote]And here's the problem. There is a difference between a carnival atmosphere and the zoo at Beverly and Fairfax. I don't have a problem with the calling out of prices from the audience up to a point, and I don't mind seeing contestants being genuinely excited during their game.

I dislike it when contestants can't hear the host asking the third time for a bid because the entire crowd is yelling over each other, or when a contestant takes any length of time to pick a random option (such as the numbers from Pass the Buck or Spelling Bee. I don't think it would be so bad to impose a reasonable time limit of some sort to keep the show moving along.
Travis L. Eberle

TenPoundHammer

TPiR
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175810\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 08:11 PM\']Gee, ya think? TPIR did quite well for about 25 years without an audience full of laughing hyenas and fratb0is.[/quote]

We also would have accepted "airheads who claim to be Bob's #1 fan, but don't even know how to play Switch?". Or "Samoans".

Seriously, though, TV shows seemed to have gone through a "loud" phase in the 2000s. Loud hosts (Newton, Karn, Osmond, et al.), loud sets, loud music, etc. I'm glad to see a bit more mellowness again.

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175810\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 08:11 PM\']This was back in the day when they had more than health insurance, diabetes supplies and mobility scooters as advertisers. Do you think my rule would have a beneficial effect on the PACING of the show, which seems to be the chief complaint here?[/quote]

I think that TPIR's pacing won't be fully fixed until the day that greedy advertisers realize that 45 minutes of commercials in an hour long show is way too [bad word] much. So in other words, probably never, but that's little to no fault of anyone at Fremantle Media.

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175810\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 08:11 PM\']
The first person who comes dressed as a carrot has to pay ME $100.
[/quote]

If you're interested, I can impersonate at least two Let's Make a Deal announcers...

davemackey

TPiR
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'175817\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 09:25 PM\']
How is it that TPIR gets away with a crowd of 330 people screaming out their answer, as opposed to no other show that I can think of? On LMAD, Monty would even warn against that, saying that an answer from the floor would invalidate the deal.
[/quote]
I'm sure that's a fact that wasn't lost on Old Man Goodson. Monty wanted some decorum every once in a while, while Price was intended from the start to be a show with audience help at all times (with the exception of Clock Game).

Mike Tennant

TPiR
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 08:41:58 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'175821\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 09:45 PM\']
How is it that TPIR gets away with a crowd of 330 people screaming out their answer, as opposed to no other show that I can think of? On LMAD, Monty would even warn against that, saying that an answer from the floor would invalidate the deal.
[/quote]
I'm sure that's a fact that wasn't lost on Old Man Goodson. Monty wanted some decorum every once in a while, while Price was intended from the start to be a show with audience help at all times (with the exception of Clock Game).
[/quote]
Plus, the audience assistance goes all the way back to the Uncle Bill days.  It may be worse now, but it's nothing new.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
TPiR
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'175821\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 09:45 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
From the start? Really?

I remember on the first episode, Bob said something like "Oohs and ahhs are always welcome at the Price is Right, but don't shout anything out.

/or maybe that was to the models
//giggity
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
TPiR
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'176001\' date=\'Jan 23 2008, 06:16 PM\']I remember on the first episode, Bob said something like "Oohs and ahhs are always welcome at the Price is Right, but don't shout anything out.
[/quote]

I distinctly remember hearing that in relation to Bullseye I (episode 2), which indeed prompted the audience to get loud when the contestant was within a few dollars of the ARP.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck