Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was the first game show you remember watching  (Read 11523 times)

Mike Tennant

What was the first game show you remember watching
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2003, 06:55:51 PM »
Let's see.  I was born in '71.  My parents tell me that as soon as they could prop me up in front of a TV, I would sit there in rapt attention anytime Bob Barker came on the screen.  (We even had a dog named Bob, I think because I could say \"Bob\" but not \"dog.\"  My grandma wrote in my baby book that the dog's name was Bob Barker, though that has since been disputed by my parents.)  Anyway, I'm pretty sure my earliest memory is of Bob's syndicated Truth or Consequences, which we watched because my dad liked the show--and, of course, I liked Bob.  I still remember that it was sponsored by Best Western.  (Am I right?)  My next memory is of TPIR.  I even recall the evening version and for years and years wanted to find out who the interloper was in the early years; turns out he was Dennis James.

Then things begin to get a little clearer.  I remember clearly TJW, TTD, TTTT, and Narz Concentration (probably because my then-septuagenarian great aunt, whom I often visited, liked them); MG; HS (watched at the grandparents' but forbidden at home); P+; and even Whew! (of which all I could remember until the Internet came along was the Gauntlet of Villains, but I still loved it).

ChuckNet

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2003, 07:00:52 PM »
And finally, I remember this Whoopi Goldberg movie c. 1986 where there's a clip of $otC being played, in the speed round IIRC...anyone know what movie?

Could it be Jumping Jack Flash? Also, a $otC clip was seen in Rain Man just 2 yrs later.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

drmusic_99

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2003, 07:15:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 5 2003, 02:50 PM\'] Video Village. I'd give others, but the question was
to give the first that I remember and not the first ten.
 [/quote]
Well, I'm glad YOU have such a razor-sharp memory of your toddler years. I think I speak for most of us when I say we've destroyed ours with booze, and therefore can only make a few guesses about what MIGHT have been it. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 07:16:31 PM by drmusic_99 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2003, 11:20:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 5 2003, 01:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 5 2003, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 5 2003, 10:48 AM\'] (Although now, I don't like it that Bud shakes his finger at us at the end of the show) [/quote]
I simply must ask: What don't you like about it?[/quote]
Emily Post told me it's not polite to point.  I wonder if Kitty ever silently cringed? [/quote]
 You're truly offended by that? Tell me you're joking. Please.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe