Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was the first game show you remember watching  (Read 11518 times)

BrandonFG

What was the first game show you remember watching
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2003, 04:41:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 3 2003, 12:36 PM\'] Well... my first faint memory involved a show with some of the weirdest think music I had ever heard.  Then there were a bunch of X's and O's everywhere.  Seeing it reran on GSN in 1999 confirmed what I saw was Wink's TTD when I was two or three years old.

My first clear memory of a game show is WoF and Wink's HR.
 [/quote]
 I remember being fascinated by this multi-colored game board, where the strips alternated colors. It turned out to be the Tune Topics board from Lange's NTT, which was 84-85, so age 2 or 3. I also remember TJW coming on in the afternoon (I think the two shows aired together on WVEC by this point), and all I can remember is the neon joker, which looked VERY different when I saw it on GSN about 15 years later.

For some reason, I don't remember watching Barker on TPiR until the late 80s, but I remember the Kennedy version like the back of my own hand. And finally, I remember this Whoopi Goldberg movie c. 1986 where there's a clip of $otC being played, in the speed round IIRC...anyone know what movie?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2003, 04:55:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Oct 3 2003, 03:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 3 2003, 12:36 PM\'] Well... my first faint memory involved a show with some of the weirdest think music I had ever heard.  Then there were a bunch of X's and O's everywhere.  Seeing it reran on GSN in 1999 confirmed what I saw was Wink's TTD when I was two or three years old.

My first clear memory of a game show is WoF and Wink's HR.
 [/quote]
I remember being fascinated by this multi-colored game board, where the strips alternated colors. It turned out to be the Tune Topics board from Lange's NTT, which was 84-85, so age 2 or 3. I also remember TJW coming on in the afternoon (I think the two shows aired together on WVEC by this point), and all I can remember is the neon joker, which looked VERY different when I saw it on GSN about 15 years later.

For some reason, I don't remember watching Barker on TPiR until the late 80s, but I remember the Kennedy version like the back of my own hand. And finally, I remember this Whoopi Goldberg movie c. 1986 where there's a clip of $otC being played, in the speed round IIRC...anyone know what movie? [/quote]
 My first memory was watching TJW on USA in 1987...and when the Finn version came appeared in about 92 thinking...\"what is this?!?\"
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Clay Zambo

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2003, 11:09:11 PM »
NBC Concentration.  Must have seen a Fleming Jeopardy! in there, too, but I don't remember that as distinctly.  Seems to me Concentration was on opposite reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies.
czambo@mac.com

inturnaround

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2003, 12:52:51 AM »
Growing up in the 80s, I was a Tic Tac Dough fan. The music was cool and I loved the footage they'd show when they were hyping a trip to Hong Kong. I thought that when you went to Hong Kong, you'd see everything poorly shot and very 70s-ish.

Like nWo, I was afraid of the dragon. Hey, what kid wasn't? ROAR!

Still the sound effects for TTD were my favorite. I remember beeping along when they shuffled the board. And humming along with the think music.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

ChuckNet

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2003, 01:12:46 AM »
My first memories are of early '80s shows like TJW, TTD, FF (Dawson), Dream House, and Pitfall.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Vgmastr

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2003, 10:17:27 AM »
My earliest memories would be of WOF and TPiR.

We have a home movie of myself at three years sitting in front of the TV, watching WOF, and yelling \"Big money, wheel!\"

One of my earliest TPiR memories was a game with a scale, with Bob checking to see if it balanced, it did, and the guy won.  For 15+ years I thought I was remembering things wrong, until I got on the internet when I realized I wasn't crazy, and had seen a rare playing of the Balance Game.

Jim

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2003, 04:29:42 PM »
I dont' know which I saw first, but my earliest memories of game shows are \"The Reel Game\", \"The Movie Game\".  The earliest snipet or memory (not a complete show) I have is an end of the show mill around ending of a Bud TTTT.

whampyl03

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2003, 10:02:13 PM »
In '89, at a very young 1 yr. old, I stumbled across Double Dare with Marc Summers.  Been hooked to the wonderful television genre ever since.

combsisthebest

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2003, 01:50:31 AM »
I can remember seeing Lucky Seven game getting played, and I remember the contestent losing and getting the Losing Horns. For some reason the losing horns scared the crap out of me, and I hated Lucky Seven (or that purple game) up until a few years ago. I also remember Family Challenge and wondering who that new host was (I was about 6 at the time). Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago? was one of my favorite games. When I watched GSN, and saw FF with Combs I vaguely remembered that. I can remember seeing Scrabble on USA, but for some reason I thought it was with Dick Clark.

kirkmorgan

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2003, 03:49:32 AM »
For me I think it was CBS daytime Password this would be around 1964 or 65 ,My Mom kept the TV on CBS all day and I seem to remember PW came on after 'As The World Turns' I also have early memories of Whats My Line? and To Tell The Truth !

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2003, 11:42:12 AM »
Hmmm....I do have a vague memory of seeing 100 Grand with its completely bizarre set.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2003, 01:48:11 PM »
For me it was \"Concentration\" with Hugh Downs.  One I remember that no one else does was \"On Your Mark\" with Sonny Fox and \"Shenanigans\" was so vivid to me. I could've sworn the show was in color, but I must be thinking of the box game.  Also liked the panel shows, Bud's TTTT in particular. (Although now, I don't like it that Bud shakes his finger at us at the end of the show)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2003, 03:23:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 5 2003, 10:48 AM\'] (Although now, I don't like it that Bud shakes his finger at us at the end of the show) [/quote]
 I simply must ask: What don't you like about it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2003, 03:50:03 PM »
Video Village. I'd give others, but the question was
to give the first that I remember and not the first ten.

QUOTE (Jimmy Owen @ Oct 5 2003, 10:48 AM)
(Although now, I don't like it that Bud shakes his finger at us at the end of the show) 

QUOTE (Chris Lemon shortly thereafter)
I simply must ask: What don't you like about it?

I, for one, happen to get a kick out of it. Quite often, I find myself
pointing right back at Bud. These meds aren't working at all.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 03:50:45 PM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2003, 04:09:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 5 2003, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 5 2003, 10:48 AM\'] (Although now, I don't like it that Bud shakes his finger at us at the end of the show) [/quote]
I simply must ask: What don't you like about it?[/quote]
Emily Post told me it's not polite to point.  I wonder if Kitty ever silently cringed?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.