Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was the first game show you remember watching  (Read 11519 times)

trainman

What was the first game show you remember watching
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 12:09:01 AM »
Either \"Cross-Wits\" or \"Match Game,\" circa 1979.
trainman is a man of trains

davemackey

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 12:51:03 AM »
Had to have been \"Concentration\", \"Say When\", \"You Don't Say\" and other NBC game shows in the early 60's. Vaguely remember seeing some of the early ABC games like \"The Object Is\" and \"Showdown\" with Joe Pyne, and primetime \"To Tell The Truth\" and \"I've Got A Secret\" during their last year on the air.. some of the shows that recently aired on GSN were shows that I had seen as a child.

brianhenke

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 12:52:06 AM »
Mike Darrow's Dream House on ABC, c. 1968. The second was NBC's '69 kiddie version of Hollywood Squares - Storybook Squares.

Brian

Wary blue waters?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

joshg

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 04:20:56 AM »
Speaking of CC, I seem to recall that once during Halloween week, the contestants and Alex dressed in halloween-type costumes, they used the Ghostbusters theme, and the win markers were pumpkins instead of what they usually were, and I remember being scared out of my wits about it, because anything that wan't \"normal\" freaked me out. Am I right, or has my memory gone awry?

You remember correctly. I wondered why they wasted time dressing up the contestants and decorating the set for the holiday; just play the darn game!

Getting back onto the gist of the thread, my first game I remember watching was 'Match Game'. The lights around Gene's door, the orange backround, the music, that long lollipop stick that Gene was holding; I've been hooked ever since.

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

LA the DJ

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 05:55:30 AM »
Mine was Tic Tac Dough. My grandfather and I used to watch it together, I'd sit in his lap and hide behind him when players would pick a number because I didn't wanna see the dragon!

I know MG-HSH was another, though, for some reason in my memory it was just Hollywood Squares, and I had no recollection of the Match Game gameplay on the show, but I remembered the theme, the big light set, and the two hosts: Gener Rayburn and Jon Bowman.

Also, TPiR had to be one of my firsts as well, as I remember running around the house yelling \"Plinko!\" when it would come on.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 05:59:03 AM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

joelvanderveen

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 07:10:50 AM »
Being born in '88, as a child I was hooked on the few popular game shows of the late 80s and early 90s. It was mostly the same stuff Gus mentioned above: \"TPiR\", \"Wheel\", \"Jeopardy\", \"Classic Concentration\", plus \"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?\" and a few Canuck games like \"Wild Guess\" and \"Food for Thought\" that I only vaguely remember. I can't believe I missed out on \"Definition\", though.

drmusic_99

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 10:13:14 AM »
Well, I can't remember specifically... but I DO know that my earliest memories of watching TV predate our having cable, so it was likely a Canadian show like \"Definition\", and I also have just the haziest memory of \"The Mad Dash!\" I believe \"Family Feud\" was seen on a local station way back then as well, but no TPIR until we had cable, which was by about the time I was 4. (I also remember watching \"Just Like Mom\" religiously... but that was a bit later.)

vtown7

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2003, 12:10:39 PM »
My first memory of a game show is Child's Play.  I too was a religious Just Like Mom watcher, but that was later.

Speaking of CC, I seem to recall that once during Halloween week, the contestants and Alex dressed in halloween-type costumes, they used the Ghostbusters theme, and the win markers were pumpkins instead of what they usually were, and I remember being scared out of my wits about it, because anything that wan't \"normal\" freaked me out.

I remember that Davidson HS had a special theme game when Vincent Price was on and that freaked me right out.  I was just happy that it ended quickly (up and down on the right column - dear me, why can't I retain exam information like that when I need to?)

Cheers,

Ryan :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2003, 12:12:59 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Oct 3 2003, 09:10 AM\'] I remember that Davidson HS had a special theme game when Vincent Price was on and that freaked me right out. [/quote]
 What do you suppose the \"phobic\" name is for the fear of Vincent Price? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 12:13:02 PM »
I distintly remember watching The Price is Right....

...with Tom Kennedy.

It's kinda strange, because I was born in 1982, so I'm a bit surprised that I remembered that early of a memory.

I also remember Card Sharks (Eubanks) and Super Password (for a long time that was my favorite).
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2003, 12:17:35 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 3 2003, 09:13 AM\'] I distintly remember watching The Price is Right....

...with Tom Kennedy.

It's kinda strange, because I was born in 1982, so I'm a bit surprised that I remembered that early of a memory.
 [/quote]
 The Tom Kennedy TPiR was 1987, IIRC. I don't think remembering stuff from when you were 5 is all THAT odd. I have quite a few vague memories from that time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2003, 01:17:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 3 2003, 11:17 AM\'] The Tom Kennedy TPiR was 1987, IIRC. I don't think remembering stuff from when you were 5 is all THAT odd. I have quite a few vague memories from that time. [/quote]
 Tom Kennedy TPiR was 1985-1986....

As for remembering stuff at age 5, definitely not odd - considering I remember TPiR airing from 10:30-11:30 (EST), and I remember when Whew! premiered, because it bumped TPiR up to its now-familiar 11am slot. And at that time, I was 4 1/2.

WhammyPower

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2003, 01:23:54 PM »
The first game shows I remember watching are PYL reruns on USA, TPiR, and $100k Pyramid.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2003, 01:36:43 PM »
Well... my first faint memory involved a show with some of the weirdest think music I had ever heard.  Then there were a bunch of X's and O's everywhere.  Seeing it reran on GSN in 1999 confirmed what I saw was Wink's TTD when I was two or three years old.

My first clear memory of a game show is WoF and Wink's HR.

Brandon Brooks

Speedy G

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2003, 04:38:03 PM »
I've narrowed it down to three, I think.  Either Couch Potatoes, Bumper Stumpers, or PYL... and I think PYL was the first one I regularly watched, in USA reruns at the tender age of 3.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*