Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What was the first game show you remember watching  (Read 11521 times)

Ian Wallis

What was the first game show you remember watching
« on: October 02, 2003, 09:04:46 AM »
To follow Jimmy's thread about the first game show you could have seen, how about this -

What was the first game show you remember watching?

Some of the earliest memories I have are of shows like CBS's \"Joker's Wild\" and NBC's \"Baffle\", but the first game show I remember watching must have been:

\"Beat the Clock\" with Jack Narz.  It was on every day in late afternoon in my area, so I could watch it when I got home from school.  I remember watching it almost every day, and at that time I really thought the host's name was \"Jack Stars\"!  

Oh well...for young ears, I guess I couldn't quite make out what the announcer was saying!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 09:40:44 AM »
Lord, I'm getting old ...

One of the first I remember was \"Video Village,\" mostly because of the big board, the cop character, and the big chuck-a-luck cage for rolling the dice I thought was really cool.

I also remember being scared by the \"Play Your Hunch\" lightbulb logo....it still looks like a demented bald guy.

And I vaguely remember when Password went to its best-known set on CBS with the logo on the football shaped sign behind Allen Ludden, and thinking CBS must have done that because it was football season and the Packers were on now...
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 09:59:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 08:04 AM\'] To follow Jimmy's thread about the first game show you could have seen, how about this -

What was the first game show you remember watching?

[/quote]
 First game show I remember watching is actually possibly a tie; members older than me can help.

It may possibly be \"Match Game\", until I hit the 'net, I thought I remembered the sign saying \"Match Game '80\", but I know now that's not true. I have very vague memories of the daytime version on CBS, but I remember the syndicated version more (I was fascinated with the wheel).

Now.......I also remember a prime-time show with Chuck Barris, and my TV research has led me to believe it may have been the \"Chuck Barris Rah-Rah Show\"...Did they ever play any games on that or do any \"Gong Show\" elements on it, or was it just pure variety?

KWJCDon

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 11:41:48 AM »
I'm getting old too.

My first memory of a game show was Jeopardy with Art Fleming. My mother used to rattle off all of the answers and I thought she was so smart. This was back in the $10 days too. So I'm thinking somewhere about 1965 or so.

Then the time came when I could answer more questions that her. Boy, did I love that!

Don

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 12:01:51 PM »
Add me to Dr. Bear's timeframe -

Earliest faint memory is a few moments of daytime Strike It Rich with Warren Hull - would have been mid to upper 50s. Other minor flashes include The Big Payoff, Beat The Clock (Collyer), Split Personality, Your Surprise Package and Double Exposure. Better early long-form memories include Video Village, Concentration, and Play Your Hunch.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 04:54:01 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Timsterino

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 12:31:29 PM »
This one is easy. The first game shows I remember watching were \"Treasure Hunt\" with Geoff Edwards (1970's) and \"The New Price is Right\" with Bob Barker.

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 12:31:47 PM by Timsterino »

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 12:36:44 PM »
Yeah... this one is easy... TPiR.  My mother tells me that I used to bounce up and down in rhythm to the \"Come on Down\" music while sitting in front of the TV.  That... and I remember being mesmerized by the light wall on MG/HS Hour.

Oh... and Jack Barry used to scare me because I thought he looked like the devil during the bonus round on TJW.  I know I can't be the only one who thought of that.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

KrisW73

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 01:04:19 PM »
Was either the Big Showdown, or DD 1976...

I was sure it was DD- but I seem to have a very hazy recollection of seeing TBS after seeing pictures of it...

Mike Tennant

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 01:07:34 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 11:36 AM\']Oh... and Jack Barry used to scare me because I thought he looked like the devil during the bonus round on TJW.  I know I can't be the only one who thought of that.[/quote]
No, you're not.  My sister and I thought the same thing.

Winkfan

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 01:38:48 PM »
The FIRST game show I can recall watching was Concentration; but the first host I seem to recall hosting it was Art James. I had no idea Hugh Downs hosted it until sometime in the mid-70s.

I also remember the ORIGINAL versions of these shows:

What's My Line
To Tell the Truth
I've Got A Secret (Steve Allen run)
Password
Let's Make A Deal
Jeopardy!
The Match Game
You Don't Say
Supermarket Sweep
The Dating Game
The Newlywed Game
The Holywood Squares

I can also recall watching Call My Bluff, Let's Play Post Office, Eye Guess, Everybody's Talking, The Family Game, and  Personality. But that was before I started school.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Mary Ann James of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 01:57:45 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 2 2003, 08:59 AM\'] Now.......I also remember a prime-time show with Chuck Barris, and my TV research has led me to believe it may have been the "Chuck Barris Rah-Rah Show"...Did they ever play any games on that or do any "Gong Show" elements on it, or was it just pure variety? [/quote]
 As far as I recall, the RAH-RAH SHOW was pure variety--however many GONG acts popped up (and the younguns got to hear Jaye P. Morgan do what she was primarily noted for before GONG--that of course would be singing).  Chuckie kept the brisk pace going with his usual botched intros (and every so often faking the audience out with one of his trademark fake claps).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jay Temple

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 02:13:34 PM »
The earliest I'm sure of is Concentration, 1969.  I also have an early recollection of TTTT, but I'm not sure how far back.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 04:11:34 PM »
The first was either Wheel of Fortune (syndicated) or The Joker's Wild. I have much better memories of the former, but I spent years trying to figure out what that game with the slot machine and the guy with glasses (Bill Cullen) was, so it must have been implanted into my memory pretty early.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2003, 04:40:50 PM »
My first memory has to be the duckbill wheel on \"You Bet Your Life\" sometime when I was 4 or 5--either that or \"What's in the House?\" on \"Art Linkletter's House Party.\"  I vaguely remember \"The $64,000 Question.\"

Gus

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2003, 05:17:22 PM »
I can't remember exactly which one I saw first, but I remember watching Price, Wheel, Jeopardy, and Classic Concentration from a very young age.

Speaking of CC, I seem to recall that once during Halloween week, the contestants and Alex dressed in halloween-type costumes, they used the Ghostbusters theme, and the win markers were pumpkins instead of what they usually were, and I remember being scared out of my wits about it, because anything that wan't \"normal\" freaked me out. Am I right, or has my memory gone awry?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 05:18:47 PM by Gus »