Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: most heartbreaking moments in game show history  (Read 20126 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
most heartbreaking moments in game show history
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2008, 05:13:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'174338\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 03:46 PM\']
Point 1 I really don't see as heartbreaking...he got a question wrong.

Point 2 was probably due to the gal being too damn greedy...I refuse to put "hearbreaking" and "DOND" in the same sentence. (except there to prove a point.)
[/quote]
You could make the same argument for Point 1.  Choosing to play on with $260,000 in your hip pocket smacks of greed as well.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174321\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 12:27 PM\']
But Ogi struggling with himself as to whether to go for the $1M was exciting, if you saw the
episode or the You Tube clip.[/quote]
It probably was. (Haven't seen either.) But I'm sorry, watching someone win "only" $500,000 as opposed to a million dollars just isn't heartbreaking.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174336\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 04:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'174330\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 04:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174317\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 02:02 PM\']
The guy who lost $260k on 1 vs. 100
The lady who ended up with a PENNY on DOND.[/quote]
Didn't both those people kinda earn their fates, especially the lady who won the penny?[/quote]Yes, they earned it, but it was still heartbraking to see.  At least I thought it was.[/quote]How much were her bank offers again?  Zero sympathy from me.
I think if the late Rodney Dangerfield was here, he would say "Boy, this is a tough crowd!!"
I recognize your username from the GSN boards.  Assuming you are the same person, you will realize we are slightly more discriminating then what is permitted there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:58:18 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

CeleTheRef

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
In the Italian 90s revival of Jeopardy a contestant was caught trying to cheat the show out of 120 million lire ($170,000).   I felt very bad when I watched it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdTHkLpdqo

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2008, 09:09:11 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174321\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 12:27 PM\']OK, Ken made off like a bandit, I'll give you that one.  But Ogi struggling with himself as to whether to go for the $1M was exciting, if you saw the episode or the You Tube clip.  You wanted him to go for it, especially since Millionaire hasn't had a millionaire in quite some time.[/quote]I didn't 'want' him to do anything. It was exciting, true enough, but I can't possibly feel bad for a guy who left a game with $500,000.

[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174340\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 02:04 PM\']I think if the late Rodney Dangerfield was here, he would say "Boy, this is a tough crowd!!"[/quote]Yeah, you probably will. Losing on a game show isn't "heartbreaking." They got a chance to be on television with a try at thousands of dollars in cash or prizes. Where's the bad? That's more to blame on the original questioner, who had a habit of astroturfing the joint with questions like "What game shows aired at what time in all American media markets?"

If the question was asked as "memorable losses?" you might have something, but at least for me, no moment on a game show has ever been heartbreaking.
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2008, 12:02:24 AM »
[I think if the late Rodney Dangerfield was here, he would say "Boy, this is a tough crowd!!"[/quote]I recognize your username from the GSN boards.  Assuming you are the same person, you will realize we are slightly more discriminating then what is permitted there.
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess that's one way to put it.  All righty then!!

uncamark

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2008, 12:34:35 PM »
No, someone getting a penny on "DOND" is not heartbreaking--and if I were Howie, I would pull a penny out of my pocket, give it to the contestant and tell them to get the hell out of my studio immediately.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what would've made "Set for Life" entertaining--give Kimmel carte blanche to mock, put down and tear apart the dumbo contestants.  Some may call it cruel and heartless--I call it great television.