Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grand Slam possibly coming to the US....  (Read 5244 times)

Jay Temple

Grand Slam possibly coming to the US....
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 03:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 12:11 PM\']From TJW--the winner of their first ToC  (It wasn't sportscaster Frank Gifford, but his name was similar.  He was also in the Jeopardy!'s first Senior Tournament.  If anyone has this info, I'd like to hear it.)[/quote]
Frank Dillon.  He was one of the first champions to go the $25,000 limit and he announced that he was going to put the cash portion of his winnings into a scholarship fund at the high school he taught at in Cleveland called the "Jack Barry/Joker's Wild Fund."  In his tournament appearances, where he was not required to give half of his money to charity like the $1,000,000 tournament (which he didn't participate in), he voluntarily donated all of his winnings to the American Heart Association. [/quote]
 Thanks for reminding me.  I'd also invite the woman who defeated him.  I suspect she holds the distinction of having a rule changed in her \"honor\".  After Frank won TJW's first ToC, they gave him an automatic pass to the final round, and all the other players fought for the right to play him.  This woman was the biggest winner in the show's history (in regulation play), and after she beat him, they made her start from the bottom with everyone else.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ChuckNet

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2003, 10:58:26 PM »
I'd also invite the woman who defeated him. I suspect she holds the distinction of having a rule changed in her \"honor\". After Frank won TJW's first ToC, they gave him an automatic pass to the final round, and all the other players fought for the right to play him.

That would be Eileen Jason, and it was a classic moment...Eileen had just scored 500 pts in the 4th game (they played a 3-out-of-5 match in the finals, and she was leading 2-1), w/Frank at 400, so he needs at least a pair to stay in the game. He spins the wheels and gets...

...3 individual categories, giving Eileen the victory and the $250K grand prize. However, in an unprecedented move, Jack offers Frank a \"consolation prize\" unlike any other: the opportunity to move to LA and join B&E, if he wanted.

This woman was the biggest winner in the show's history (in regulation play), and after she beat him, they made her start from the bottom with everyone else.

And as it turns out, she was eliminated in the first round of next yr's $1M ToC. BTW, Frank was given an invitation, but declined to participate...he claimed to regret taking part in the previous year's matchup, claiming a champ should be allowed to retire in peace and not have to defend his title year after year.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 10:59:53 PM by ChuckNet »

Jay Temple

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2003, 12:24:16 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 09:58 PM\']
I'd also invite the woman who defeated him. I suspect she holds the distinction of having a rule changed in her "honor". After Frank won TJW's first ToC, they gave him an automatic pass to the final round, and all the other players fought for the right to play him.

That would be Eileen Jason, and it was a classic moment...Eileen had just scored 500 pts in the 4th game (they played a 3-out-of-5 match in the finals, and she was leading 2-1), w/Frank at 400, so he needs at least a pair to stay in the game. He spins the wheels and gets 3 individual categories, giving Eileen the victory and the $250K grand prize. [/quote]
 Truly, we saw that knowledge was king and lady luck was queen.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.