Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anybody here seen this pic before?  (Read 3131 times)

Mike Tennant

Anybody here seen this pic before?
« on: September 29, 2003, 11:40:06 AM »
It's a nice, color photo of the contestant area, including contestants and host, from Narz Concentration.  I've never seen it before.  It's a good thing the contestant names are visible; with that long 70s hair, I would've sworn that \"Tom\" was a woman!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=18836

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 12:34:33 PM »
\"bluelucycj\" appears to have quite a few game show photos up for bids, and several of them are unfamiliar to me (a color \"Hot Seat\"?).  At fifteen to twenty bucks a pop they're pretty pricey, but if you were a serious fan, one or more might be worth it to you.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 02:40:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 10:40 AM\']It's a nice, color photo of the contestant area, including contestants and host, from Narz Concentration.  I've never seen it before.  It's a good thing the contestant names are visible; with that long 70s hair, I would've sworn that \"Tom\" was a woman!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=18836[/quote]
It also looks like the prize boards were also brought over from New York and the network version (complete with the plastic menu board letters for the contestants), along with the original game boards.  However, it looks like they glued the two \"doors\" together, since I don't see the seam inbetween the two boards.

Those plastic rectangles with the show's logo on them were the lock-outs--if every possible match was made on the board or if time ran out in the middle of the game, the remaining pieces would turn over and the first player to hit their lock-out and solve the rebus won.  This, of course, is similar to how \"Classic Concentration\" handled these situations, except that Narz kept his mouth shut and didn't start explaining the pictures like generous ol' Alex Trebek.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 03:27:26 PM »
I'm trying to remember, did Jack have a podium like Downs/Clayton or was he always with the contestants ala Trebek/
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 03:30:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 02:27 PM\']I'm trying to remember, did Jack have a podium like Downs/Clayton or was he always with the contestants ala Trebek/[/quote]
I believe Jack did have a podium in-between the contestants and the game board, in front of the car.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 05:14:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 12:30 PM\'] I believe Jack did have a podium in-between the contestants and the game board, in front of the car. [/quote]
 I'm pretty sure that's not the case, I think Jack always did the Trebek thing and stood right where he is in that picture.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 05:24:53 PM »
Now you got me thinking -- Jack may have had a podium for like the first season but I distinctly remember that on most shows I watched he stood between the contestants, podium-less. He would kind of sidestep the prize slips whenever a prize was added. And those are the doors from New York. Probably the entire NY set was shipped out lock, stock and barrel -- there couldn't have been that much to it, it was basically a two-wall set -- however I doubt they shipped the curtain Hugh Downs and Bob Clayton stood in front of. Ira Skutch told me that whole series was done on the ultra-cheap, though they did build a completely new controller for the board.

SplitSecond

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 05:58:45 PM »
The episode I have (from 1978) shows Jack standing over by the car (podium-less) to interview the contestants, then moves between the contestants for gameplay, and really only sidestepping when \"Take 1 Gift\" went into play.

Most Goodson-Todman shows tend to look at least two or more years ahead of their time, but this Concentration definitely looked like a relic from the late 60's.

davemackey

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 06:48:00 PM »
Jack Narz never had a podium. He always stood between the contestants as you see in the picture. There wouldn't have been a handy place to put the podium like in the old New York set because I guess Ted Cooper or someone wanted the car center stage.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 09:04:04 AM »
Jack Narz never had a podium. He always stood between the contestants as you see in the picture. There wouldn't have been a handy place to put the podium like in the old New York set because I guess Ted Cooper or someone wanted the car center stage.

Actually, during the first season or two Jack stood at center stage for the whole show.  It wasn't until about the third season he started standing between the contestants.

I used to watch the show everyday.  I remember the change, and thinking that he's blocking part of the prize wall, which I liked looking at to see what prizes the contestants had in their bank.  As was noted, he always stepped out of the way whenever a new prize was added, or one was \"taken\".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!