Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat  (Read 10694 times)

tpirfan28

Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 02:23:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194606\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 01:08 PM\']
And that weird-ass thing where they stand on the ice and swat at big rocks with brooms.[/quote]One of only a couple of reasons I watch the Winter Olympics.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'194615\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 01:31 PM\']
And that weird-ass thing where they stand on the ice and swat at big rocks with brooms.
[/quote]Actually, touching the rock is a bad thing.  Remind me to invite you the next time I go.[/quote]
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'd like to point out that this is the same person who introduced me to a curling game on the Nintendo Wii -- a curling game on the Wii -- and promptly complained over its lack of verisimilitude.  I think I was completely justified in hitting him over the head with one of those big-ass rocks.

/Seriously, the best team was African-American.
//Curling.
///On the Wii.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:14:48 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 04:21:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194632\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 04:13 PM\']
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'd like to point out that this is the same person who introduced me to a curling game on the Nintendo Wii -- a curling game on the Wii -- and promptly complained over its lack of verisimilitude.  I think I was completely justified in hitting him over the head with one of those big-ass rocks.

//Curling.
///On the Wii.
[/quote]
And I would like to counter that it was not my Wii and it wasn't my game.  Therefore, I was not the introducer.  I certainly was the complainer, though.

Actually, one of the top world curlers is African-Russian.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'194633\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 04:21 PM\']Actually, one of the top world curlers is African-Russian.
[/quote]
Hey, Russian curlers are hot.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194632\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 04:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'194615\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 01:31 PM\']
And that weird-ass thing where they stand on the ice and swat at big rocks with brooms.
[/quote]Actually, touching the rock is a bad thing.  Remind me to invite you the next time I go.[/quote]

//Curling.
///On the Wii.
[/quote]
Hmmm...Winter Sports 2008?  I should know...I just got done curling on there.

/Not good, but not bad.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 05:05:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'194635\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 04:38 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194632\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 04:13 PM\']//Curling.
///On the Wii.[/quote]
Hmmm...Winter Sports 2008?  I should know...I just got done curling on there.

/Not good, but not bad.[/quote]
Game Party has a curling unlockable if you do something in the table shuffleboard game which, apparently, I have not done yet.  (ETA:  75 tickets in table shuffleboard.  Now we know.)

To bring it back to game shows a smidgen, table shuffleboard = Beat the Clock's Bonus Shuffle without the groupings by multiples of $100.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:09:26 PM by MikeK »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »
Prolly it was in Deca Sports. I was gonna get it pretty much just for the curling, but then I read some horriffic reviews. and decided to save my money.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194643\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 06:09 PM\']
Prolly it was in Deca Sports. I was gonna get it pretty much just for the curling, but then I read some horriffic reviews. and decided to save my money.
[/quote]
I completely forgot about Deca Sports.  I saw gameplay of it while going through a store and thought I might pick it up when I pick up TPIR in a couple of weeks.  Might now re-think that.

Winter Sports 2008's controls seem bizarre for curling, but after some practice, I got the hang of it.  It's much easier on a controller-based system (I played it on a PS2, I think) and it was much easier to control.

/Curling for Dollars, anyone?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:40:23 PM by tpirfan28 »

mmb5

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194643\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 06:09 PM\']
[/quote]
The game I played and Matt watched was the Deca Sports.  According to the person who brought it, the only good games were curling (it was OK, but I've played better) and archery.  And for some strange reason, people really got into the figure skating.

Game show content: No less than five former or current Jeopardy! contestants were there for the evening in question.

--Mike

mrchips

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »
Something to try next time the women are on: Close your eyes and listen. Curling match . . . or whoopee session? You make the call.

/caught the fever in 2002
//watched it for the strategy, of course

trainman

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:34 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'194612\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 10:20 AM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'194604\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 09:50 AM\']--Mike, still upset that DirecTV doesn't carry CBET[/quote]
The lack of CBC is a big player in the likelyhood of me actually staying with Comcast even if I *do* move someplace with a view of the south sky next year.[/quote]

Complain to your congressman/senator -- the problem is that DirecTV is not legally allowed to carry the Canadian over-the-air channels as part of their "local-into-local" service.

They do carry "Hockey Night in Canada" as part of the NHL Center Ice package, which I've watched when they're having a free preview.  The feed they pick up seems to come from Prince Edward Island, for some reason.
trainman is a man of trains

rugrats1

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'194706\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:20 AM\']the problem is that DirecTV is not legally allowed to carry the Canadian over-the-air channels as part of their "local-into-local" service.[/quote]

Yet they're allowed to carry channels such as XETV (which recently became a CW affiliate), a Mexican-licensed channel, for San Diego-area viewers.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
In the early days, CBET solved this by being a CBC/DuMont station and then went cherry picking with old movies, British shows or a CTV offering, since Windsor has never had a true CTV station.

I think Ch 42 Sarnia (a CKCO repeater) is the “default” CTV station for Windsor; but it probably has a weak, directional signal that doesn’t spill over into Michigan very far.

It’s surprising how much carriage CBET gets on US cable systems.  Windsor has a few other stations (CHWI, an independent - now “A” channel; TVOntario; and a French CBC channel) which I don’t think get much carriage outside of Windsor.  I don’t know why they’ve never had a CTV station right in the city – it’s big enough to warrant one.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 12:40:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'194737\' date=\'Aug 21 2008, 12:20 PM\']
It’s surprising how much carriage CBET gets on US cable systems.  Windsor has a few other stations (CHWI, an independent - now “A” channel; TVOntario; and a French CBC channel) which I don’t think get much carriage outside of Windsor.  I don’t know why they’ve never had a CTV station right in the city – it’s big enough to warrant one.
[/quote]
If CTV puts a city grade signal into Windsor, it falls into the market, and therefore would lose most of its prime-time.  Global and A Channel's signals are very weak and are technically not in Windsor so they can show American shows.

Growing up in a Detroit suburb that touched the Detroit river, I could pluck A Channel and Global on a good day, I could never pull CTV.  The CBC, TVOntario and SRC signals are all full power, and can be gotten pretty much no problem.  I can still pull the CBC in Ann Arbor, and occasionally get the other two on a good day.  Cable-wise, everybody in the Detroit market carries the CBC via CBET, many used to carry TVOntario but stoped when channel capacity became an issue.  A few systems in the northern part of the market carry CTV-Sarnia signal, while most other non-Detroit market Michigan systems that still carry the CBC now carry the feed from Montreal.

--Mike

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
Nowadays, we get the feed from Montreal here in Bay City, but we used to get CBET on cable up until the Ren Cen went up.  The cable company said the building was preventing them from getting a stable signal.  WTCG went in shortly thereafter (79 or so).
The CKCO repeater never was on cable, but I could get a snowy signal of it and Global if atmospheric conditions were right (usually in the Summer).
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.