Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat  (Read 10698 times)

JCGames

Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 09:32:34 PM »
I think the CBC still runs Wonderful World of Disney late Sunday afternoons, subject to sports pre-emtions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:33:56 PM by JCGames »

drmusic_99

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 11:21:31 PM »
Just a note... in western Canadian markets like Saskatchewan, CTV stations carry both Wheel and J! in the 5:00 to 6:00 block (and have had for years.) It is different in some eastern markets.

rugrats1

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »
The main reason why they do that is so they could simsub over WDIV, which, during DST, shows Wheel and Jeopardy during the 7PM hour ET / 5PM CST (Saskatchewan does not observe DST). Do the CTV stations in SK show them at 5 when Detroit's in Standard Time?

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 06:15:34 PM »
Generally, the CRTC would prefer that the CBC not program U.S. product during prime time.  UK programming seems OK (they strip "Coronation Street" at 7 p.m., "Torchwood" airs on Friday nights--and that may be a CBC co-production, since the "Doctor Who" revival that "Torchwood" is a spinoff of is also a CBC co-production), but no U.S. this week in prime time except for "The Incredibles."

The last time I think they programmed a U.S. series in prime time was "The One," the short-lived U.S. version of the Endemol talent show format "Fame Academy."  Endemol wanted George Stroumboulopoulos, host of the CBC late-night show "The Hour," to host the show, but the CBC would only let him out of their contract if they got "The One" and if Endemol agreed to produce a Canadian version of the series.  On top of that, in order to air the performance night of the show live in the eastern Canada time zones, the nightly newscast "The National" had to be pre-empted in those zones, to the chagrin of CBC News.  Thankfully, "The One" got cancelled after two weeks, Stroumboulopoulos went back to "The Hour," "The National" returned to its normal time slot and a Canadian version has yet to appear.

rugrats1

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 09:10:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'170719\' date=\'Nov 28 2007, 06:15 PM\']
Generally, the CRTC would prefer that the CBC not program U.S. product during prime time.  UK programming seems OK (they strip "Coronation Street" at 7 p.m.)...
[/quote]

Since it's CRTC policy to keep the CBC non-American in prime-time (other than an occasional film), I wonder if the policy will stick in September 2008. Otherwise, Wheel or Jeopardy may end up being daytime or 5PM hour programs on the CBC.

vtown7

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 07:16:14 AM »
I believe that I read somewhere that, Wheel would air at 5.30 as a lead in to the news and J! at 7 as a lead in to the primetime schedule (or vice versa) Although Coronation Street airs in the 7 slot right now I do believe and I don't see the CBC moving it very easily.

Ryan :)

/one half-hour later in most parts of Newfoundland and Labrador

polo23

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 01:57:46 AM »
Don't look for CBET to carry Wheel or Jeopardy. WDIV is in fact trying to keep a block on them.

rugrats1

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
[quote name=\'polo23\' post=\'194455\' date=\'Aug 19 2008, 01:57 AM\']
Don't look for CBET to carry Wheel or Jeopardy. WDIV is in fact trying to keep a block on them.
[/quote]
 I thought the blackout of American shows on CBC in Windsor was already a given -- last time I checked, CBC's daytime repeats of "The Simpsons" and "Frasier" was replaced with other programming on CBET.

mmb5

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:26 PM »
It's pretty automatic.  The last time there was any issue at all was with the Larry Sanders Show in the 90s, since it wasn't broadcast, there was a question of blackout.  It aired for a little bit before HBO put the hammer down, and it went poof.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

vtown7

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
As confirmed during commercials during CBC's Olympic coverage yesterday, Wheel will air at 5.30 and J! at 7.30.  Regarding CBET: wouldn't the issue only be with the shows being simulcast?  

As for time placements, I can't say for J!, but I know of a friend who works at the CBC and he said that in his market that the CBC is happy to have Wheel as a lead in to the supper hour news - it gives them lots of chances to air bumpers for what's coming up.

Ryan

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »
The only time I remember Channel 9 (CKLW, later CBET) sharing rights to a show with an American station was "That Girl" in the mid-70's  For some reason, Worldvision allowed both Channel 4 and Channel 9 to air it.  Maybe they thought Detroit and Windsor were separate markets.  Before the CBC took over Channel 9 around 75, they looked just like an independent station in the afternoon, with Bewitched, Andy Griffith, etc.  Mornings and Primetime were all Canuck, though.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'194589\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 09:35 AM\']
Regarding CBET: wouldn't the issue only be with the shows being simulcast?  
[/quote]
The short story: American cable systems don't sim-sub CBET, they carry it whole.

The long story: It was decided a long, long time ago, in a time before cable, that Detroit and Windsor are one market, meaning that any network show that crossed borders would only be on one station, and the American networks had first priority.  In the early days, CBET solved this by being a CBC/DuMont station and then went cherry picking with old movies, British shows or a CTV offering, since Windsor has never had a true CTV station.  They also were a reasonable player in the syndicated market, picking up a fair number of sitcoms and because it could satisfy CanCon, they had Beat the Clock.

However, in the 70s, CBET was bought by the CBC, who pretty much deemphasized being a player in the syndicated market.  So, any substitution of American shows was pretty much with a British show and the station fell rapidly in the market.  By the late 80s, CBET was that curious little channel on your cable system that showed a lot of hockey and Canadian football.

Until this recent pickup, the only two American shows that CBET had to block out were the 5 PM Simpsons rerun and the 5:30 PM Arrested Development rerun, substituting an extra showing of 'The Hour'.  The Sunday night movie is a case-by-case basis, and for some reason that defies the Geneva Convention they do show Martha Stewart.  CBET is not required to blackout sports with the exception of the Blue Jays if the Tigers are at home.  

--Mike, still upset that DirecTV doesn't carry CBET

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'194604\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 12:50 PM\']By the late 80s, CBET was that curious little channel on your cable system that showed a lot of hockey and Canadian football.[/quote]
And that weird-ass thing where they stand on the ice and swat at big rocks with brooms.

Even cable systems in Lansing, about a hundred miles from the Canadian border, carry CBET.  I never really knew that there were rules about not using American shows, but yes, as Mike said, it was always a "curious little channel" that carried something different, and now that I have DirecTV, I miss it too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:09:15 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:47 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'194604\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 09:50 AM\']--Mike, still upset that DirecTV doesn't carry CBET[/quote]
The lack of CBC is a big player in the likelyhood of me actually staying with Comcast even if I *do* move someplace with a view of the south sky next year.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194606\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 10:08 AM\']
And that weird-ass thing where they stand on the ice and swat at big rocks with brooms.[/quote]
I greatly look forward to taking another meal with Mike in two years in Vancouver because of this weird-assed rock-swatting festival. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'194606\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 01:08 PM\']
And that weird-ass thing where they stand on the ice and swat at big rocks with brooms.
[/quote]
CBC loses a major part of curling for 2008-09.  They picked up a few random events, but its roughly akin to losing rights to all of golf's majors but picking up The Milwaukee Open.

Actually, touching the rock is a bad thing.  Remind me to invite you the next time I go.

--Mike