Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat  (Read 10696 times)

vtown7

Welcome back Alex, Hello there Pat
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:34:41 PM »
What is _ B _ , Alex?

Wheel and J! to move broadcasters in Canada in Fall '08

Perhaps they'll come tape some eps up here too?

Ryan :)

joelvanderveen

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »
Glad to hear this. I'm living in Toronto, the biggest city in the country, and even though I can pick up every other syndie game show over my aerial, none of our stations are airing "Wheel of Fortune" right now.

Our local CTV affiliate, oddly enough, is only airing "Jeopardy!" 3 nights a week, which has got to be awfully confusing for people actually trying to follow the show.

rugrats1

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »
[quote name=\'joelvanderveen\' post=\'170180\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 09:25 AM\']
I'm living in Toronto, the biggest city in the country, and even though I can pick up every other syndie game show over my aerial, none of our stations are airing "Wheel of Fortune" right now.[/quote]

Doesn't Barrie's CKVR carry Wheel these days?

Of course, if you live in the Windsor / Detroit market, this news probably won't matter, as I doubt WDIV is willing to give up Wheel and Jeopardy to CBET (which generally replaces all American programming on CBC).

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:48:25 AM »
I live in the Seattle-Tacoma area and Wheel and Jeopardy are both carried on KOMO 4 our ABC affilate, plus most of the cable systems in our area pick up CBUT the Vancouver BC CBC affilate. I wonder if this means CBUT will carry Wheel and Jeopardy as well as KOMO 4.

joelvanderveen

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'170183\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 10:25 AM\']
Doesn't Barrie's CKVR carry Wheel these days?[/quote]

Yes, they do... it was being shown on one of the Omni multicultural stations (and before that, on CFTO), but it moved to CKVR in September. I have been unable to receive CKVR, though, with only my rabbit ears.

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
[quote name=\'joelvanderveen\' post=\'170180\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 10:25 AM\']
I'm living in Toronto, the biggest city in the country, and even though I can pick up every other syndie game show over my aerial, none of our stations are airing "Wheel of Fortune" right now. [/quote]

Lucky You!  :-P

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'170189\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 08:42 AM\']
[quote name=\'joelvanderveen\' post=\'170180\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 10:25 AM\']
I'm living in Toronto, the biggest city in the country, and even though I can pick up every other syndie game show over my aerial, none of our stations are airing "Wheel of Fortune" right now. [/quote]

Lucky You!  :-P
[/quote]
I was gonna say....no Wheel, but they get Hockey Night in Canada...it'd be my dream city, if I didn't despise the Leafs so much. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 12:37:46 AM »
[quote name=\'1984Gameshowsfan\' post=\'170185\' date=\'Nov 21 2007, 07:48 AM\']
I live in the Seattle-Tacoma area and Wheel and Jeopardy are both carried on KOMO 4 our ABC affilate, plus most of the cable systems in our area pick up CBUT the Vancouver BC CBC affilate. I wonder if this means CBUT will carry Wheel and Jeopardy as well as KOMO 4.[/quote]

It's definitely possible that KOMO will demand that CBUT's Wheel and J! broadcasts be blacked out by your local cable systems, which is their right under the FCC's "syndicated exclusivity" rules.
trainman is a man of trains

dzinkin

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »
I'm surprised that this is happening at all -- wasn't it the CBC that ranted about how CTV and Global were rushing to pick up first-run American shows at the expense of Canadian content?

Heck, does the CBC have any other first-run U.S. shows?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:40:47 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'170221\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 12:37 AM\'] It's definitely possible that KOMO will demand that CBUT's Wheel and J! broadcasts be blacked out by your local cable systems, which is their right under the FCC's "syndicated exclusivity" rules.
 [/quote]

But considering that CBUT's, you know, *Canadian*, wouldn't CBUT have the right to tell KOMO to go eff themselves.

dzinkin

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'170232\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 10:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'170221\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 12:37 AM\'] It's definitely possible that KOMO will demand that CBUT's Wheel and J! broadcasts be blacked out by your local cable systems, which is their right under the FCC's "syndicated exclusivity" rules.
[/quote]
But considering that CBUT's, you know, *Canadian*, wouldn't CBUT have the right to tell KOMO to go eff themselves.
[/quote]
Nope -- syndex applies to any out-of-market station, not just the ones in the U.S.

Now, if KOMO were to pre-empt Wheel or J! for some reason, the cable company would have every right to lift the blackout on CBUT for that night.  However, that assumes that someone at the cable company is actually keeping an eye on things and not just letting an automated system do all the work.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:50:05 AM by dzinkin »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'170230\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 09:03 AM\']
I'm surprised that this is happening at all -- wasn't it the CBC that ranted about how CTV and Global were rushing to pick up first-run American shows at the expense of Canadian content?

Heck, does the CBC have any other first-run U.S. shows?
[/quote]

They have Martha Stewart weekdays (not sure if it is first-run, though). Not first-run, but they air "Frasier," "The Simpsons" and "Arrested Development" weekday afternoons. Nothing American in prime-time as of now.  Alex being Canadian may count.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

vtown7

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 11:58:49 AM »
My apologies in advance if this was already mentioned, but I know that most if not all cable/satellite companies are CRTC regulated to override American programs in some kind of simulcast.  Ex: We don't get the american super bowl commercials.

Ryan :)

/although I did when I lived in Sackville, NB as the cable company always forgot...

dzinkin

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'170241\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 11:58 AM\']
My apologies in advance if this was already mentioned, but I know that most if not all cable/satellite companies are CRTC regulated to override American programs in some kind of simulcast.  Ex: We don't get the american super bowl commercials.
[/quote]
No, simultaneous substitution (simsub) wasn't mentioned, at least not in this thread -- we may have discussed it before but not recently.

The biggest difference between simsub in Canada and syndex/network nonduplication in the U.S. is that unless the law's changed since I last looked, simsub kicks in only when the American channel and the Canadian channel show the same episode of the same program at the same time.  Here in the USA, the time slots and episodes don't need to match for our laws to take effect.

/although I did when I lived in Sackville, NB as the cable company always forgot...
And on the flip side of that, you have Expressvu, which substitutes even when the law explicitly says that it shouldn't .  In one example, Expressvu replaced reruns of a sci-fi show on an American broadcast station with the signal of the Canadian cable network Space even though simsub is supposed to be only broadcast-for-broadcast.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'170233\' date=\'Nov 22 2007, 07:47 AM\']
However, that assumes that someone at the cable company is actually keeping an eye on things and not just letting an automated system do all the work.[/quote]
...and speaking as a Seattle Comcast customer, if this ever happened, I'd be worn out in a hurry, from chasing around the pig that would have just flown out of my ass.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:40:23 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe